What would you do?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I shoot in manual mode most of the time. In a crunch the Sunny 16 rule provides an exposure that works well unless one has very reflective subjects that may blow out, like a white egret or pelican. In terms of auto exposure I find center weighted metering to provide the best results in most situations. With digital I can also chimp and adjust the EV setting.

What a great opportunity !!!

I am a bird ID photographer and use a Z9 and Z800 pf the majority of the time and would do what Karen @Butlerkid said. Unless it is no doubt cloudy I usually use natural light auto white balance. As @Calson noted center weighted metering is still a good workhorse.

I use center weighted metering more than matrix and almost never spot. I do change my metering mode frequently during my birding day quick access in my i menu.

In post your fastest fix for the blue cast is white balance also when you lighten a masked or unmasked subject that was shaded by sun angle etc. you will almost always benefit form warming up your white balance.

Thanks, very nice. I’m still working on getting better with my LR skills. A lot to learn there.
Great opportunity to see these wonderful birds.

As to camera settings i usually leave my camera in

Matrix
Floated ISO to 25,000
-07ev
F7.1 or F2.8
3200 ss
CH
10 fps
the camera virtually becomes a point and shoot and i don't have to really think of settings in a hurry.
Time and conditions permitting i do adjust slightly some settings.

If its a important photo to be produced into a fine art work i do the unthinkable and outsource to a couple of friends who are switched on graphic designers and have all the state of the art soft ware including all the latest AI techniques and unique hardware blended in with first class skill sets i don't have. Its cheap and so fast LOL. Is it Wrong, well maybe yes i know, then again is it.

Only an opinion.

Back