"Which Nikon telephoto(s)?" for Wildlife Genres: Updated

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

This question involves an interesting set of factors. The answer(s) depend on one's personal needs, and budget obviously, besides the diversity of subjects and respective conditions.

Here's an attempt to sketch out the challenges, and outline where to find resources to help settling final decisions for one's needs. This is a rough guide, and subject to personal biases, given opinions are sure to differ.

See a recent presentation by Brad Hill reviewing the Z System Telephotos, besides several blog commentaries by Thom Hogan. The Greater Nikon Ecosystem presents even more choices with legacy AFS G type F Nikkors let alone the newer E type primes and zooms.

It may appear we have almost too many options for the shorter focal lengths, but the options can be classified into subsets, on weight/ergonomics as well as focal length, speed and Zoom or Prime. This is where I find the distinction between Commando vs Destination kits useful ]
EDIT see Brad Hill's updated Gear Summaries

Ultimately, the truism is choices and purchases are for the individual photographer to conclude. Nonetheless, first and foremost, the final decision on a telephoto purchase begins with the What, Where, When, How. A useful point of departure in the evaluation is to list focal subjects, and also consider less common subjects.

The applications of telephotos often have considerable overlap. Exceptions to generalities are the rule. It's impossible to prepare for each and every opportunity out in the wilds. This is not surprising, because biodiversity covers a universe of immense variety.

Subjects: Birds or mammals are common, certainly prominent, wildlife subjects. Many wildlife photographers also concentrate on arthropods, plants, fungi etc. There's also the parallel needs to use telephotos for tight portraits and/or Animalscapes (a Brad Hill talk covered the interrelated topics of Animalscapes and Enviroscapes, 3rd Nov 2021).

One corollary is even a highly focused bird photographer is likely to need a shorter telephoto, even as short as ~200mm, besides a 600 being the primary lens, but may also need a 800mm and even more reach.

Habitats / Subject Behaviours: photographing small passerines perched and hopping about in vegetation is quite different from capturing images of flying birds. Capturing dragonflies and lepidoptera prioritizes the magnification factor of the telephoto and especially its MFD (minimum focus distance).
Here again, absolute Reach can be critical in its limits. Even a 800mm on a FX camera can be insufficient for more elusive subjects. Too often, it's impossible to adjust one's position relative to the subject. Think hides/vehicles versus stalking.

Africa exemplifies the challenges encountered in open versus cluttered habitats. The popular first world perspective imagines vast grasslands on volcanic soils, epitomized by parts of East Africa. The reality is over half this massive continent is dominated by ancient landsurfaces with their deeply leached soils. This domain of 'High Africa' is complemented by forested basins of 'Low Africa': dominated by the Congo.

There are the two vast arid zones. The SW Arid centred on Namibia, and the NE Arid zone, which stretches west to Mauritania through the Sahara, across north Africa.

Each of these huge realms support forest, woodland, thicket, and deserts - subject to rainfall regimes, topography and disturbance histories. In contrast, much of Central Africa is a mosaic of tall woodlands interleaved with grassy valleys (dambos). Rocky outcrops and mountain belts are also prominent.

Remarkable biodiversity occurs across this mosaic of habitats. Some destinations, such as South Africa, Zimbabwe and Uganda, for example, present photographic opportunities across a range of habitats, including open grasslands, and denser woodlands with thickets to forests.

The biomes of southern Africa exemplify the range of relatively local opportunities, in which the wildlife photographer encounters interesting challenges in the diversity of Subjects. One meets distinctly different circumstances even within the eastern Lowveld or NE Botswana (including open woodlands, open water, riparian forests, grasslands, and different thickets), let alone in the deserts of the Kalahari and Namibia.

As in the Neotropics, the landscapes of each continent present their parallel diversity in exciting opportunities and challenges. The wildlife photographer packs accordingly: eg for Costa Rica versus the Pantanal.

Ethics : In wildlife photography, the primacy of Ethical considerations for living Subjects is the critical factor governing subject distances, and thus Telephoto Reach. Fundamentally, ethical principles govern the photographer's behaviour.

Last edited:
Teleconverters: a great deal of ink has been spilt on the pros and cons. Many of us find TCs essential, especially a TC14. An integral TC14 is ideal, especially in the Nikkor 180-400 f4E TC14 and new 400 f2.8S TC. A new copy of either of these exotics is Very expensive, but each encapsulates at least 2 lenses in one.
The Image quality of the Z TCs is improved over the older F mount models. And F-mount TCs perform better on Mirrorless cameras, which includes nullification of the f5.6 /f8 constraints on AF inherent in DSLRs.

Zoom Flexibility: the flexibility of a zoom is often a saviour to cope with framing sudden changes of the subject, and how it behaves. Obviously a zoom encapsulates many primes, albeit with constraints. The top quality Nikkor zooms have established new benchmarks in optical quality and performance.

This is probably why the 80-400 or 100-400 zooms are popular choices for important well known reasons. Image quality is much better in the current models, but f5.6 or f6.3 is the price on bokeh and handling lowlight. A 70-200 f2.8 has the advantages of speed and rendering, but lacks reach without a 2nd longer telephoto. Going from f5.6 to f4 tends to add an extra zero on the RRP (180-400 f4E TC14), nevertheless the 180-400 is one of several high quality telephotos-in-one.

Similar solid reasons explain why the 200-500 and 200-600, and 3rd party "Bigmas" are so popular: reach, flexibility, traveling bulk, let alone reduced fiscal haemorrhage!

A Tele Zoom-with-Reach covering the 300-800, 400-700 or 400-800 range is currently a vacant niche for telephotos. Only Sigma has (had) a solution, which is no longer made. It will be interesting to see who attempts to design a solution leveraging the remarkable new technology in modern materials and optical know-how. One possibility is a 400-700 PF with integral TC14!

Flexibility in Action- Two or more ILCs: traveling and shooting with two or more Rigs. A common set is to pair one of a 70-200/70-300/100-400 with a longer telephoto prime. Several features confer a high score on the 100-400 f4.5/5.6S. [This includes its 0.38x magnification ratio (MFD < 1m), which presents interesting choice against the 300 f4E PF (0.24, MFD 1.4m)..... thus the versatility of both these lenses extends to close up subjects.] A choice of cameras is an obvious solution for low light, silent shooting etc besides the ability to change lenses as fast as one can pick up and put down the Rigs. A 2nd camera (and lens) can be a huge saviour in the event of a disaster, typically damage or theft. Insurance cover functions in its own time frame.

Redundancy: besides using two or more cameras on a single outing/trip, a related strategy is to aim to build up a system in which, ideally, at least 2 focal lengths are covered by a fast Prime/slower Tele-zoom, and confer both Heavier/Lighter options. Hence the primary high-end System used in a Vehicle or Hide versus a Hiking 'Commando' System.

The compact, and lighter, Nikkor phase-fresnel primes exemplify the flexibility embodied in the trend to design more ergonomic telephotos. The 1.2kg 400 f4.5S Nikkor is the new kid in town. These make hiking, but also flying etc so much easier: some of the reasons why the 800 f6.3S PF is a game changer.

This schematic provides a guide to the options:
Telephotos Options Nikkors Dec2023.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Last edited:
<SNIP>

One possibility is a 400-700 PF with integral TC14!

<SNIP>
I am certainly no physicist, but I have often wondered whether it is physically possible to create a Fresnel lens that can have variable focal lengths. Do you know that this is optically feasible, or were you just hoping for a light-weight long zoom?

I am certainly no physicist, but I have often wondered whether it is physically possible to create a Fresnel lens that can have variable focal lengths. Do you know that this is optically feasible, or were you just hoping for a light-weight long zoom?
yes, Canon has https://bcgforums.com/index.php?threads/zoom-pf-lenses.8160/

Nikon has registered patents recently, so presumably they have/are considering the option. I've read somewhere the actual challenge is to render aesthetically appealing bokeh.

Last edited:
Teleconverters: a great deal of ink has been spilt on the pros and cons. Many of us find TCs essential, especially TC14. An integral TC14 is ideal, especially in the Nikkor 180-400 f4E TC14 and new 400 f2.8S TC. A new copy of either of these exotics is Very expensive, but encapsulates at least 2 lenses in one. The Image quality of the Z TCs is improved over the older F mount models.

Zoom Flexibility: flexibility is often a saviour to cope with framing sudden changes of the subject, and how it behaves. This is probably why the 80-400 or 100-400 zooms are popular choices for important well known reasons. image quality is much better in the current models, but f5.6 or f6.3 is the price on bokeh and handling lowlight. A 70-200 f2.8 has the advantages of speed and rendering, but lacks reach without a 2nd longer telephoto. Going from f5.6 to f4 tends to add an extra zero on the RRP (180-400 f4E TC14), nevertheless this is several high quality telephotos-in-one.

There are solid reasons why the 200-500 and 200-600, and 3rd party "Bigmas" are so popular: reach, flexibility, traveling, let alone reduced fiscal haemorrhage!

A Tele Zoom-with-Reach covering the 300-800, 400-700 or 400-800 range is currently a vacant niche for telephotos. Only Sigma has a solution, which is no longer made. It will be interesting to see who attempts to design a solution leveraging the remarkable new technology in modern materials and optical know-how. One possibility is a 400-700 PF with integral TC14!

Flexibility in Action- Two or more ILCs: traveling and shooting with two or more Rigs. A common set is to pair one of a 70-200/70-300/100-400 with a longer prime. The 100-400 f4.5/5.6S scores highest on several features. [This includes its 0.38x magnification ratio (MFD < 1m), which presents interesting choice against the 300 f4E PF (0.24, MFD 1.4m). The versatility of both these lenses extends to close up subjects.] A choice of cameras also opens the solution for low light, silent shooting etc besides the ability to change lenses as fast as one can pick up and put down the Rigs. A 2nd camera (and lens) can be a huge saviour in the event of a disaster, typically damage or theft. Insurance cover functions in its own time frame.

Redundancy: besides using two or more cameras on a single outing/trip, a related strategy is to aim to build up a system in which, ideally, at least 2 focal lengths are covered by a fast Prime/slower Tele-zoom, and confer both Heavier/Lighter options. Hence the primary high-end System used in a Vehicle or Hide versus a Hiking 'Commando' System.

The compact, and lighter, Nikkor phase-fresnel primes exemplify the flexibility embodied in lighter telephotos. The 1.2kg 400 f4.5S Nikkor is the new kid in town. These make hiking, but also flying etc so much easier: some of the reasons why the 800 f6.3S PF is a game changer.
Excellent information. Nikon is killing it with the Z mount telephoto lenses. So much so that with every lens release i get a feeling i want one :) I finally had to let go of the gear acquisition madness and take a look at my images catalogue to figure my ultimate tele lens choice. It appears i need a 500-600mm focal length as a starting point with an ability to reach upto 800mm with minimal compromise ( particularly snappy AF for fast action). I was initially planning on either selling my 500F4 E to partly fund the 4002.8S or retain the 500 and add an 800PF but Brad Hill's latest post has now ruled out the 400 option as i may end up using it almost always with a 2x TC to get to 800mm or with 2 stacked 1.4TCs, both of which may not be ideal for fast action.

Ive now decided to wait for the 600 f4S launch and hopefully it'll have an in-built TC and stay under 3KGs, priced similar to 4002.8S. Once the 600 F4 and 200-600 are released, we will be spoilt for choices for wildlife. Im sure Nikon will also eventually add the other exotics like 500 F4, 180-400, 120-300 etc., making the lens choices even more difficult.

Ive now decided to wait for the 600 f4S launch and hopefully it'll have an in-built TC and stay under 3KGs, priced similar to 4002.8S. Once the 600 F4 and 200-600 are released, we will be spoilt for choices for wildlife. Im sure Nikon will also eventually add the other exotics like 500 F4, 180-400, 120-300 etc., making the lens choices even more difficult.
Any guess about Z 600 F4’s weight? . Even if it is around 3 kgs ( same as Sonys 600 mm) the resulting weight with Z9 would be around 4.3 kgs making it very unwieldy

yes, Canon has https://bcgforums.com/index.php?threads/zoom-pf-lenses.8160/

Nikon has registered patents recently, so presumably they have/are considering the option. I've read somewhere the actual challenge is to render aesthetically appealing bokeh.
That's exactly the issue. I heard that Nikon designed the 400mm f/4.5 originally as a PF lens, but determined they could not achieve the optical performance they wanted and went the conventional route. I can see that bokeh could be an issue. The 800mm PF is remarkably good, but the 500mm PF definitely has some problems with specular highlights in the background. The 400 f/4.5 has exceptional clean backgrounds with and without the TC.

Any guess about Z 600 F4’s weight? . Even if it is around 3 kgs ( same as Sonys 600 mm) the resulting weight with Z9 would be around 4.3 kgs making it very unwieldy
No clue yet but on the f mount, Nikon's 400 and 600 have been pretty close in terms of weight so I'm thinking it'd still be around 3 kgs +/- 100 grams. Yep the Z9 is indeed a heavy camera but im sure theyll launch lighter cameras later this year. What I'm not sure though is if Canon and Nikon would make a gripless pro body like a Sony A1.
Oh and my guess of 3kgs is assuming the 600 has an in-built TC but if it doesn't I'd expect a significant weigh reduction...something like 2.7-2.8KGs..

What I'm not sure though is if Canon and Nikon would make a gripless pro body like a Sony A1.
That's the one I wanted but got tired of waiting for…and would have gladly given up a few FPS or. 8K video or whatever for the smaller/lighter body. I would even have been happy to have less shots per battery as well as long as it wasn't ridiculously small…but then ridiculous is in the eye of the beholder…but anything more than half the frames a Z7II gives would have been fine with me since I carry an extra battery anyway and don't think I've ever actually needed it in a day's shooting.

My ideal would be 400/2.8 with built in TC and 600/4 with built-in TC. Only other lens I'd have is 100-400.
That would be my ideal.
Nikon is heading towards my ideal lens selection...but I can't mount them on my preferred camera so I will continue on with my 400 and 600 without built-in TCs.
But every day I'm out shooting I'm always thinking about how advantageous it would be to have the built-in TC. I used to own the Canon 200-400TC so I have experience with the true value of such a lens.

My ideal would be 400/2.8 with built in TC and 600/4 with built-in TC. Only other lens I'd have is 100-400.
That would be my ideal.
Nikon is heading towards my ideal lens selection...but I can't mount them on my preferred camera so I will continue on with my 400 and 600 without built-in TCs.
But every day I'm out shooting I'm always thinking about how advantageous it would be to have the built-in TC. I used to own the Canon 200-400TC so I have experience with the true value of such a lens.
On this note I don't understand why companies are not trying to have external TCs that work like internal TCs. Removable and usable on any lens but have a switch to turn it on or off.

My optimal lens combo would be the 600f4 with in built TC, 100-400 and 70-200!

That would be my ideal.
I am with you. It is interesting that Sony is rumored to be announcing two new TC in September. Why I have no idea but could you imagine if the TC itself had a switch. You could mount it on the lens and turn the TC on or off. I have no idea how you could build such a TC but that would be way better than lenses with built in TC.

the answers for one's needs.
Well obviously it all depends and first with what are you seeking to shoot from where and in what environment And the type of image you want to create.
600/4.0 + TCs (1.4 and 2.0) on a full frame body is what I use most often in Africa. 2nd is a 400/2.8 for shots in very low light -- lions before sunrise and after sunset and subjects closer or shot with more environment/context. 70-200 and 100-400 for elephants passing our vehicles. 24-70 for herds/some land scapes. 20mm and 14 mm for night shots and close shots of herds passing us. 800mm+ for smaller birds +

Last edited:
I am with you. It is interesting that Sony is rumored to be announcing two new TC in September. Why I have no idea but could you imagine if the TC itself had a switch. You could mount it on the lens and turn the TC on or off. I have no idea how you could build such a TC but that would be way better than lenses with built in TC.
I've certainly had discussions about such a product for years now over on FM forum.

I think the big question would be when the TC is switched out and the stock lens is now sitting further from the sensor, would that not mess up the intended optics of the stock lens?
I think that might be the issue and why we've never seen such a product.

I think the big question would be when the TC is switched out and the stock lens is now sitting further from the sensor, would that not mess up the intended optics of the stock lens?
I think that might be the issue and why we've never seen such a product.
Well, what happens with an internal TC when it's not active? The rest of the lens is still sitting where it sits when the TC is engaged. So there's some sort of "neutral" glass in there?

Well, what happens with an internal TC when it's not active? The rest of the lens is still sitting where it sits when the TC is engaged. So there's some sort of "neutral" glass in there?
Yes but those lenses are specifically designed to work at that rear element to flange distance when the TC is flipped out. An external flip version would be universal to a whole bunch of lenses and those lenses won't want to be spaced out that extra couple inches from the sensor. Unless the TC has some glass in it that corrects for this even when the TC is flipped out? Not sure if that could work as a universal solution or not? Optical engineers...please respond!!

Also I forgot to mention that when I had a phone conversation with the top Sony Canada rep this past spring he quizzed me about features I would like to see in Sony, things I liked about Nikon and Canon. We did discuss the internal TC and he said Sony is well aware and researching that. So who knows, but one day we may end up spending a lot more money upgrading to Sony 400 and 600 with built-in TCs. :) :(

Also I forgot to mention that when I had a phone conversation with the top Sony Canada rep this past spring he quizzed me about features I would like to see in Sony, things I liked about Nikon and Canon. We did discuss the internal TC and he said Sony is well aware and researching that. So who knows, but one day we may end up spending a lot more money upgrading to Sony 400 and 600 with built-in TCs. :) :(
Take my money!

Yes but those lenses are specifically designed to work at that rear element to flange distance when the TC is flipped out. An external flip version would be universal to a whole bunch of lenses and those lenses won't want to be spaced out that extra couple inches from the sensor. Unless the TC has some glass in it that corrects for this even when the TC is flipped out? Not sure if that could work as a universal solution or not? Optical engineers...please respond!!
That is why it should be easier to make ftz&tc combo, as lens is designed for f-mount flange distance. Z version lenses are usually big step up from f-mount eq , so unlikely to be developed. Would probably be most feasible as an f to z mount conversion with built-in switchable tc, as conversion service for exotic f-mount tele’s, but a lot fewer would then be enticed to upgrade to the z version.

Best bet is likely 3rd party

My understanding is the TC switch in Nikon telephotos is actually an instruction to a separate lens group that works like a zoom. The elements don't move out of the way but rather move forward or backward so that magnification is increased. In a traditional teleconverter, an additional fixed lens group and spacer is added to create higher magnification. Canon has patented a TC with three different strengths that are selectable. It is still a separate TC, but has three strength options.

Interesting thought. Such a TC would change the distance between the lens and the sensor when attached, even when switched “off.” Given that, I would think that lenses would have to be specially designed to work with such a TC.

Back