"Which Nikon telephoto(s)?" for Wildlife Genres: Updated

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

The internal lever shifts the TC elements L<>R on the 180-400 f4E TC14, and presumably the same in the 400 f2.8S. Note the internal TC in the latter is larger and more complex than any of Nikon's external F mount TC14's, although its large anterior element is reminiscent of the ext ZTC14.

If each and every copy of these two exotics needs to be tuned as a bespoke assembly, this would explain yet an extra factor in their high price and also manufacturing time. This would be similar with the 800 f5.6E FL, in which each copy and 800-TC125 have matching serial numbers for a good reason. I've heard from Nikon staff that each of the F-mount exotic primes is tuned by a highly experienced meister at final assembly. An ambassador, I know, shook the hand of the gentleman who had assembled his copy of the 600 f4E FL (on a guided factory tour a few years ago).

1660847760963.png

https://www.nikon-image.com/products/nikkor/zmount/z_teleconverter_tc-14x/spec.html
TC14 Z lens construction.png

Last edited:
The internal lever shifts the TC elements L<>R on the 180-400 f4E TC14, and presumably the same in the 400 f2.8S. Note the internal TC in the latter is larger and more complex than any of Nikon's external F mount TC14's, although its large anterior element is reminiscent of the ext ZTC14.

If each and every copy of these two exotics needs to be tuned as a bespoke assembly, this would explains a factor in their high price and also manufacturing time. This would be similar with the 800 f5.6E FL, in which each copy and 800-TC125 have matching serial numbers for a good reason. I've heard from Nikon staff that each of the F-mount exotic primes is tuned by a highly experienced meister at final assembly. An ambassador I know shook the hand of the gentleman who assembly his 600 f4E FL (on guided factory tour).
Thanks for the illustrations. You can see a big difference between the two lenses. It's pretty clear that a separate teleconverter is going to be a lot cheaper than a small volume additional group with mechanicals. The incremental cost at retail might be $1000+ for the added capability - more than double a simple teleconverter. That added cost is a non-issue on a $14,000 lens, but a much bigger deal on a $3000 lens.

Beyond and encompassing the intricacies of Teleconverters, this graph below summarizes the overriding factor controlling Which telephotos one can afford!

Besides and beyond, R&D, only Nikon knows the costs of the technical inputs invested in its Nikkors, including expert QC, Assembly and Tuning the optics. Nevertheless, Lens Speed i.e. Window Diameter aka Entrance Pupil, is the dominant factor. As graphed by Spencer Cox, PL, the Price of a telephoto is tightly accounted for by Window Dia.

The conspicuous exceptions are telephotos priced apparently at competing with other brands, and/or leveraging buy in to system: 200-500 f5.6E, 800 f6.3S PF. Window Dia also explains the price differences between 100-400 S and 400 f4.5S.

The 800 f5.6E FL is one other outlier; besides its 2 huge fluorite elements, the bespoke 800-TC125E also explains why the price includes a brace of super Telephotos. Each of these primes has unique qualities: especially the 1000 f7.1 Both are extremely sharp with beautiful rendering wide open.

Nikon Prime telephoto Lenses Compared Price  Entrance Pupil Aperture Focal Length..JPG
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Last edited:
Z800pf lives on my Z9 now shooting small bird in heavy cover. Later with fall, winter and spring waterfowl and birds (flocks fo snow geese come to mind) Z100-400 will see more use.

Do I miss my 600 f/4E ... yes and no ... I stil miss the stability of the barrel heavy weight but Iam adjusting to the lighter Z800pf. I do not miss the cumbersome length/bulk of the 600 f/4E hard to fit into many spaces :)

Will I buy a Z200-600 almost assuredly it will fit a niche for my bridinging and other wildlife.

Will I buy a Z600 f/4 probably not (but never say never) ... at 600mm focal length I am looking for more versatility and portability 200-600 in other words. Beyond 600mm the Z800 fits this niche shooter well. My Z800pf is in effect a very good birding spotting scope and ID recorder :)

Last edited:
Will I buy a Z600 f/4 probably not (but never say never) ... at 600mm focal length I am looking for more versatility and portability 200-600 in other words. Beyond 600mm the Z800 fits this niche shooter well. My Z800pf is in effect a very good birding spotting scope and ID recorder :)
I agree but miss the f/4.0 - I am still hopeful that the Z600mm comes as an F/4.0 with a built in 1.4TC (so like the 400TC) and as a result the lens offers both a 600mm f/4. AND an 840mm f/5.6 and that will be awesome -- of course it would be priced 10-15% more than the already pricy Z400/2.8TC; but these focal lengths are by far my favourite for shooting in Africa and Scotland. I just returned from a 10 day road trip to Scotland and the Z400/2.8TC served me very well. It flexibility is something to behold.
Video made from 60 shot 3-second burst using a Z400/2.8TC on a Z9

The 400/2.8TC has a leaver that simply moves the TC lens element into place or out again - nothing else changes. As a result almost instantly one can shoot from 400// f/2.8 to 560mm f/4.0 and back again. This "flexibility" is incredible. AND the lens is ridiculously fast and accurate to focus. I still have not settled on what to use the 2nd lens control ring for - currently a "click" counter clockwise reduces exposure compensation by 1/3rd stop and a click clockwise increased compensation by 1/3rd. The only option I would "also" like to have is the ability to swap the roles of the focussing ring and the 1st control ring -- I find the control ring a far better place for men to quickly use to switch to manual focus so I would like to see if this is the same on my Z400/2.8TC.

Back