Which Owl do you Like Better?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Was hoping for a bit of feedback on 2 owls. I'm down to one of these 2 to submit to a competition which is open to all types of art at the Minnesota State Fair. It would be turned into a framed print.

Initially I had the owl perched in the tree; then another photographer said the owl with the brown background which is actually a field. My thoughts are the brown background; the background is a little more cool, we see the ears a bit more of the long eared owl there, though in both he's looking at you. The tree one, he's slightly more bright, but there is that tree behind him cutting through his head, though it's very faded and I don't think blows the image.

Thanks for feedback. I've made it in the competition three times, but it's a harder one to get in as they don't tend to take nature photographs much.

z long eared 2.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
z long eared owl.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Was hoping for a bit of feedback on 2 owls. I'm down to one of these 2 to submit to a competition which is open to all types of art at the Minnesota State Fair. It would be turned into a framed print.

Initially I had the owl perched in the tree; then another photographer said the owl with the brown background which is actually a field. My thoughts are the brown background; the background is a little more cool, we see the ears a bit more of the long eared owl there, though in both he's looking at you. The tree one, he's slightly more bright, but there is that tree behind him cutting through his head, though it's very faded and I don't think blows the image.

Thanks for feedback. I've made it in the competition three times, but it's a harder one to get in as they don't tend to take nature photographs much.

View attachment 65670View attachment 65671
Number 3 PAUL. Number 1 is my second choice but not by much.

All great images. #1 is a little boring, #2 is too cluttered, and I opt for 3 or 4: Jump ball. #2 is my favorite owl, but personally I would crop it a lot and level the eyes [I have a thing about owls' eyes being very slightly tilted] and submit it.

Last edited:

View attachment 65670View attachment 65671
Number 1. Love the colour the soft light makes.

Owl #2 is awesome but I think that I would submit the last version of #3. Looks great!! Hard to believe that it would not place high let alone make it into the contest. Good Luck and very well done!

I'll keep it simple, the first thing that jumped out at me was the white in #2. The highlight or white seems to be a bit too high in the 2nd pic, a bit too much glow, and #3 seems to be better than #1 overall so #3 for me. Nice shots, btw.

Last edited:
Back