Which Owl do you Like Better?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I am moving away from straight portraits to photos which show the animal in its environment. I like #2 best for this reason. I would tone down the whites slightly and crop some of the branches at the bottom.

I realise I am in a small minority.

I am moving away from straight portraits to photos which show the animal in its environment. I like #2 best for this reason. I would tone down the whites slightly and crop some of the branches at the bottom.

I realise I am in a small minority.
Confession: I went with that one. Last minute change, But Art Morris emailed me and explained why he felt it stood out, and they rejected a great gray last year. Long eareds are harder to fine, in Minnesota great grays are not easy but easier and Im sure the judges get many submitted. They also seem to have a bias against nature photography in general so its a tough one.

Confession: I went with that one. Last minute change, But Art Morris emailed me and explained why he felt it stood out, and they rejected a great gray last year. Long eareds are harder to fine, in Minnesota great grays are not easy but easier and Im sure the judges get many submitted. They also seem to have a bias against nature photography in general so its a tough one.
Can you share what he said? I really can't see the reason of 2 over 1 other than nicer coloration in the owl.

Can you share what he said? I really can't see the reason of 2 over 1 other than nicer coloration in the owl.
He said it wasnt close and the face had more drama than any others. The local judge initially liked that one best but then said great gray. I like the green around the great gray more, and odds are will get rejected but as Artie said that one and it was my first choice I figured try it. Id say that owls face has the most drama and its a nice perch. As he emailed me just before the deadline I figured go with it.

Back