Which would you chose?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I am experiencing the having to back up issue myself with my 500mm prime the main desire for the 800mm is that 80% of the birds in my lake area are too far to reach with my 50mmPF and Sigma 150-600mm lenses add the 2.0 TC and NOTHING is ever in focus. and I am thinking the slight change with the 1.4x TC is not a real difference.
As @Steve and others have pointed out a long focal length to try and over come long distance can not defeat the physics of atmospheric disturbance ie. temperature differential, rising/evaporating moisture, even dust and small insects in the way. The farther the subject is away the more likely the amount of atmosphere you are shooting through will bedevil your efforts at getting a sharp image. I have had the Z 800PF since 5-1 and I got it primarily for filling the frame with small birds at far closer distances than you are probably dealing with. It works great for that. I have used it for getting a "good enough" for ID image at long distance but the atmospheric issues are there.

If you could only afford one of the lenses for the Nikon Z series (HOPEFULLY Z9) which would you get and why? Would the f/2.8 be better for using a 1.4 or 2.0 TC with? Or would you skip them both and save for the f/6.3 800mm prime?View attachment 38471
The Z100-400 is an amazing lens. Unless your subjects are close range and low light there is no contest. The Z100-400 takes the 1.4TC very well and even faster is switching to DX mode in my Z9. I had a Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 G2 and a Tamron 1.4 TC and it worked very well on the Z9 but after using the Z100-400 and now the Z800pf I have sold all of my f mount glass including my 600 f/4E, except the 500pf still a good back up with and without a TC to have on hand and my nifty 50 (sentimental). I will evaluate 600 or 200-600 for my needs when they are released.

I like to think in context of my total kit and likely use cases. For me, the 70-200 f/2.8 is a workhorse lens that I use for landscapes, portraits, events, dogs, and equestrian. I frequently use it at f/4 or faster. With the 1.4 TC, you are covered up to 280mm.

I have an older F-mount 300 f/4, as well as the 500mm PF. Both are relatively compact, sharp, and work with the 1.4 teleconverter. As a result my normal kit is the 70-200 plus one of my longer primes.

The place I would use the 100-400 is for travel, or in place of several of these lenses. I don't think it makes sense to have the 100-400 just for the 280-400mm niche (or 280-560mm if you consider the TC). But for me this is a consistent thought - I have not owned either of the F-mount 80-400 lenses and never missed them.

As a wildlife lens, the 100-400 is a good focal length for large mammals - elk, deer, bears, etc. - and large wading birds. It's a bit short for small birds but is fine with the 1.4 TC. I would not expect it to be very good with a 2.0 TC although it works if you already have that teleconverter. I could see the 100-400 for some sports but it's a little slow and lacks subject isolation of a faster aperture.

Both lenses are excellent for what they do. I think the key is the aperture you need rather than the focal length.

I don't own either of these lenses and do not have a Z camera so no "dog in the hunt." The answer really depends on what type of photography you do. Do you routinely need less than 100mm? Do you consistently need 400mm? For the record, I shoot a D500 and the 3 lenses I use most are 200-500, 105 macro F2.8 and , 24-70 F2.8. For the most part, these 3 cover my needs. I have a 100-400 in F mount that I use sometimes and a couple other lenses but honestly, the 3 above are the ones I use.

I'm not sure if the 100-400 can be used with a TC. If so, it would be a go to lens for me but I may shoot different stuff than you do.

Jeff
I just used the 100-400Z in Botswana. It handles the 1.4Z tele extremely well. Very, very little loss in IQ, and only a bit slower in focusing.

I like to think in context of my total kit and likely use cases. For me, the 70-200 f/2.8 is a workhorse lens that I use for landscapes, portraits, events, dogs, and equestrian. I frequently use it at f/4 or faster. With the 1.4 TC, you are covered up to 280mm.

I have an older F-mount 300 f/4, as well as the 500mm PF. Both are relatively compact, sharp, and work with the 1.4 teleconverter. As a result my normal kit is the 70-200 plus one of my longer primes.

The place I would use the 100-400 is for travel, or in place of several of these lenses. I don't think it makes sense to have the 100-400 just for the 280-400mm niche (or 280-560mm if you consider the TC). But for me this is a consistent thought - I have not owned either of the F-mount 80-400 lenses and never missed them.

As a wildlife lens, the 100-400 is a good focal length for large mammals - elk, deer, bears, etc. - and large wading birds. It's a bit short for small birds but is fine with the 1.4 TC. I would not expect it to be very good with a 2.0 TC although it works if you already have that teleconverter. I could see the 100-400 for some sports but it's a little slow and lacks subject isolation of a faster aperture.

Both lenses are excellent for what they do. I think the key is the aperture you need rather than the focal length.
So far I like your present choice of lenses.
For me I'm not convinced the 100-400mm will suit my needs - I never liked the old 80-400mm AFS lens very much.
I will wait to see what the 200-600mm and the other 400mm PF lenses are like...🦘

Great points ... and aperture is an important consideration ... and it illustrates perfectly that one size does not fit all. I seldom if ever shoot those things that you use the 70-200 for. I am a birder first and wildlife second and everything else mostly incedental. Hence my lens (wants) different. I am using the 800pf at closer distances than most would think where I am working with small birds. Larger birds or enviro shots work best with the 100-400 and it gets used when I do not know what is going to happen and where the 800mm could well be to long. The 500pf. is my backup with or without the 1.4TC to the 800 or where I know that it is the best fit in a specific situation.

Reactions: Roy
The 200-500mm slower focus than the Nikkor pro level lenses is a reasonable compromise for having a great value lens camera combo.
I have the 200-400 f4, 200-500 f5.6 and 600mm f4 and usually grab the 200-500mm first because its so light...🦘
Well I mostly use my Sigma 150-600 more than my Nikon 500mm prime due to the versatility of focus even though I feel the 500mm Prime is a bit sharper. I dream of a Z9 and faster lenses I was waiting for info on the Nikon Z8 but I am beginning to fee the Z9 would be better to save for and for now use the converter to use my f mount lenses, BUT thats in the future as I just had to buy a new car So funds are tight.

We are in the same boat on the same journey. But the more I learn from seeing posts by photographers who are really good at BIF, the more I am reminded that focal length is not necessarily the only challenge of filling the frame.

Good luck,

--Ken
I have had the pleasure of meeting a few local BIF photographers and 2 that share my love for Birds of Prey. I just wish I could get together with them more often as with my memory issues I forget a lot of what they teach me, but with repeated get together I will retain more and more information.. just slower than most people.

If you could only afford one of the lenses for the Nikon Z series (HOPEFULLY Z9) which would you get and why? Would the f/2.8 be better for using a 1.4 or 2.0 TC with? Or would you skip them both and save for the f/6.3 800mm prime?View attachment 38471
Depends on what you want to photograph. For weddings and portraits I'd get the 70-200/2.8. For wildlife, travel, many sports I'd get the 100-400/f4.5. I have both and use the 100-400 far more than the 70-200, but that is my type of photography. Both lenses are super sharp/contrasty and snappy focusing.

Well I mostly use my Sigma 150-600 more than my Nikon 500mm prime due to the versatility of focus even though I feel the 500mm Prime is a bit sharper. I dream of a Z9 and faster lenses I was waiting for info on the Nikon Z8 but I am beginning to fee the Z9 would be better to save for and for now use the converter to use my f mount lenses, BUT thats in the future as I just had to buy a new car So funds are tight.
Love the Z( but the Nikon Z8 should be announced on May 10th.
The FTZii adapter works much better with the Z9 (physically fits better) ... 🦘

Depends on what you want to photograph. For weddings and portraits I'd get the 70-200/2.8. For wildlife, travel, many sports I'd get the 100-400/f4.5. I have both and use the 100-400 far more than the 70-200, but that is my type of photography. Both lenses are super sharp/contrasty and snappy focusing.
Mostly Bird/wildlife photography, leaning towards Birds of Prey, some landscape, Not keen on photographing people, or architectural at this time. But 75% of the wildlife I have access to are just too far out for my largest lenses. Kinda frustrating. I am even considering trying to learn how to safely use a Kayak to try and drift closer but I fear having my D500and a large lens over the water like that.

Mostly Bird/wildlife photography, leaning towards Birds of Prey, some landscape, Not keen on photographing people, or architectural at this time. But 75% of the wildlife I have access to are just too far out for my largest lenses. Kinda frustrating. I am even considering trying to learn how to safely use a Kayak to try and drift closer but I fear having my D500and a large lens over the water like that.
I'll race you. Kayaks scare me. Perhaps because I am nervous I am extra likely to tip

Love the Z( but the Nikon Z8 should be announced on May 10th.
The FTZii adapter works much better with the Z9 (physically fits better) ... 🦘
Without taking out a loan the Z9 is currently a pipe dream but I have had the Nikon Z9, FTZii, an extra battery, CFexpress card and reader in my B&H wishlist since day one but it will take me a couple years to come up with the almost $6,100 for it all and thats me just using my current F mount lenses and not buying any Z mount lenses… But I can dream LOL.

I have had the pleasure of meeting a few local BIF photographers and 2 that share my love for Birds of Prey. I just wish I could get together with them more often as with my memory issues I forget a lot of what they teach me, but with repeated get together I will retain more and more information.. just slower than most people.
Good strategy. I cannot get out often for BIF and it certainly shows in my technique. It was suggested that I give backyard birding a try to help sharpen my skills. When I get the time (hopefully before I retire), I'll give it some serious consideration. Right now I am feeding our regular visitors and hoping they will keep coming when I do get out there with my gear.

Good luck,

--Ken

Good strategy. I cannot get out often for BIF and it certainly shows in my technique. It was suggested that I give backyard birding a try to help sharpen my skills. When I get the time (hopefully before I retire), I'll give it some serious consideration. Right now I am feeding our regular visitors and hoping they will keep coming when I do get out there with my gear.

Good luck,

--Ken
I have been taking pictures of ducks and buzzards to practice my BIF,

Back