Which would you chose?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Although its great value - The 800mm wouldn't be my first long lens...🦘
Agreed…too limiting and I've had times in FL before I got the 100-400 where I had to back away with the 500PF to get the whole bird in the frame…and since I got the 100-400 and the TCs it gets far more use than the 500P does. I put the latter on my D7500 and carry it as the second body…and when I get the Z9 will figure out what to do, but since the 100-400 is up to 560 with the TC I mostly use the 500Pf on the D7500 since it seems to lock focus for BIF faster than the Z7II does. That will change with the Z9 and I haven't really figured out what lens will be on the second body for birding trips…and I will likely sell the D7500 once I get the Z9 and all the F gear except the 500PF and I'm not even sure I'll actually keep it since the 100-400 with the TC covers that length at about the same size/weight and is just as good optically to me. Wouldn't surprise me if by this time next year I was a Z only kit.

My suggestion is to get just the Z9 and an FTZ. (FYI, if you have normal-to-thin fingers, you can still use the vertical grip with the FTZ, and don't need the II.)

Use the lenses you already have for now. The 500PF is fantastic on the Z9, and I've heard reports that the 150-600 works better on the Z9 than on F bodies. If you're going to get any lens, pick up a 24-70/4 or some other Z wide zoom to get an FX lens on the wide end.

In a year or two, buy native lenses based on your experience and needs. By that time you'll have even more telephoto choices (200-600, 400PF) than today, and availability should be easier to come by. You might even find the 500PF is all you need, and you can save buckets of cash.

I am going to answer your original question. The lens I would choose is the F mount 70-200 FL f2.8. I use this lens more than any other lens I own. I can use it on my D500 and have a 300mm f2.8 equivalent and the 1.4 TC I have a 420mm f4. I can use it on my Z6ii with FTZ as a 70-200 f2.8 and with 1.4 TC as a 280 f2.8. So I would never be without a 70-200 f2.8 but primarily for everything except wildlife. My photography includes lots more activities where I need a 70-200 f2.8 than a 100-400. That being said I just purchased the Z mount 100-400 and the 1.4 TC and so far I love that lens. I will get lots of use out of that lens for stills and video of wildlife. OK, I didn't really answer your original question.

But what is important is that you decide what will work best for you. We all like shooting different subjects in different environments so pay attention to what your needs are. Knowing what your needs are will direct you to choosing equipment that will benefit your shooting.

How many people can see the slight improvement with Z lenses ?
If you are shooting mostly video then the quietness is worth the change... 🦘
To be honest I am so new I keep forgetting I can do Video and as that is the case I also do not know the proper settings for video.

Agreed…too limiting and I've had times in FL before I got the 100-400 where I had to back away with the 500PF to get the whole bird in the frame…and since I got the 100-400 and the TCs it gets far more use than the 500P does. I put the latter on my D7500 and carry it as the second body…and when I get the Z9 will figure out what to do, but since the 100-400 is up to 560 with the TC I mostly use the 500Pf on the D7500 since it seems to lock focus for BIF faster than the Z7II does. That will change with the Z9 and I haven't really figured out what lens will be on the second body for birding trips…and I will likely sell the D7500 once I get the Z9 and all the F gear except the 500PF and I'm not even sure I'll actually keep it since the 100-400 with the TC covers that length at about the same size/weight and is just as good optically to me. Wouldn't surprise me if by this time next year I was a Z only kit.
I am experiencing the having to back up issue myself with my 500mm prime the main desire for the 800mm is that 80% of the birds in my lake area are too far to reach with my 50mmPF and Sigma 150-600mm lenses add the 2.0 TC and NOTHING is ever in focus. and I am thinking the slight change with the 1.4x TC is not a real difference.

I am going to answer your original question. The lens I would choose is the F mount 70-200 FL f2.8. I use this lens more than any other lens I own. I can use it on my D500 and have a 300mm f2.8 equivalent and the 1.4 TC I have a 420mm f4. I can use it on my Z6ii with FTZ as a 70-200 f2.8 and with 1.4 TC as a 280 f2.8. So I would never be without a 70-200 f2.8 but primarily for everything except wildlife. My photography includes lots more activities where I need a 70-200 f2.8 than a 100-400. That being said I just purchased the Z mount 100-400 and the 1.4 TC and so far I love that lens. I will get lots of use out of that lens for stills and video of wildlife. OK, I didn't really answer your original question.

But what is important is that you decide what will work best for you. We all like shooting different subjects in different environments so pay attention to what your needs are. Knowing what your needs are will direct you to choosing equipment that will benefit your shooting.
So, it will be better than my current f mount 70-300 f/4.5 due to the extra light stops right?

I see myself moving mostly to the Z9 for birds in flight and using the D500 for small birds, still wildlife, and maybe video. Unless the z9 would be better for the video. that area is new to me still.

I see myself moving mostly to the Z9 for birds in flight and using the D500 for small birds, still wildlife, and maybe video. Unless the z9 would be better for the video. that area is new to me still.
The Z9 is amazing with video. I’ve shot more video this year with the Z9 so far than I have in the last two years with all my other cameras. It so good, it makes you want to switch to video mode. It’s better than the D500 at pretty much everything, but if you plan to shoot video, just use the Z9.

To be honest I am so new I keep forgetting I can do Video and as that is the case I also do not know the proper settings for video.
Until recently I still used an old D500 for video.
The Z9 is amazing with video. I’ve shot more video this year with the Z9 so far than I have in the last two years with all my other cameras. It so good, it makes you want to switch to video mode. It’s better than the D500 at pretty much everything, but if you plan to shoot video, just use the Z9.
Mirrorless does video so much better than DSLRs... 🦘

Until recently I still used an old D500 for video.

Mirrorless does video so much better than DSLRs... 🦘
Canon seemed to do alright with DSLR, but I agree mirrorless is a lot better. I thought my Z6 did ok with video, but it was behind some of the other brands mirrorless. The Z9 has to be in the top two mirrorless cameras for video, if not the top. It Is possible it’s the Z9’s strongest feature.

Canon seemed to do alright with DSLR, but I agree mirrorless is a lot better. I thought my Z6 did ok with video, but it was behind some of the other brands mirrorless. The Z9 has to be in the top two mirrorless cameras for video, if not the top. It Is possible it’s the Z9’s strongest feature.
Although the Z9 is king - The Z6 is great for video - I often choose it over my Z9... 🦘

I am experiencing the having to back up issue myself with my 500mm prime the main desire for the 800mm is that 80% of the birds in my lake area are too far to reach with my 50mmPF and Sigma 150-600mm lenses add the 2.0 TC and NOTHING is ever in focus. and I am thinking the slight change with the 1.4x TC is not a real difference.
Physician, heal they self! I am going to offer a piece of advice that is going to sound frustrating, but as I often find myself in the same predicament, I want you to know that I find it equally frustrating, and think that it is worth sharing. I have been flirting with BIF photography for almost 10 years now, and can count what I would call really successful days on both hands. I presently have a D500 and D750 and Nikon's 200-500 is my longest lens. 500mm on a D500 gives a similar FOV as a 750mm on full frame. Can't ask for a whole lot more than that without spending a small fortune. So, how well has it served me? To be honest, not that great, and it has nothing to do with the gear, although I do find the 200-500 to be somewhat slow to acquire initial focus.

My biggest problem is me. Life right now does not allow me to get out often, and I only know of a limited number of good places to photograph birds. And by "good" places, I mean places that allow you reasonably close access to lots of interesting bird activity. Some folks are quite lucky and live near places that offer amazing bird activity. When I visited FL and went to Wakodahatchee, it was like shooting fish in a barrel. Birds were everywhere and photography opportunities were as well. Where I live, there are great opportunities if you know where to go and when to go there. In short, I suspect that my time would be best spent trying to find better birding opportunities than trying to find a longer lens. I see works by a number of great photographers and some of them use lenses that are far shorter than I ever would have imagined. I suspect that part of their better technique is experience and knowing how to (safely) get closer to the action.

There was a member at another forum who kindly chatted on the phone with me about how he shot BIF in his backyard. His images were quite amazing and he always seemed to fill the frame. He passed away last year, but he kindly shared some advice with me about birding and about life, as he did with many forum members. He told me that while he put out food for the birds, he learned where they perched in his yard before they ate. Then he found a comfortable spot in the shade, pulled up a chair, relaxed and waited. It sounded so simple, but I started noticing the birds in my back yard and watched where they perched and flew. If I could now find some time, I know where I would set up and where I would wait for the action.

If the 800mm really floats your boat, then go for it. But if you buy or rent one and find that it is not meeting your needs, then you may want to consider other ways to approach the issue.

And regarding video, that is a whole other world that some days makes still photography seem easy. It can be a fun rabbit hole to get lost in, but it can also be a distraction from working on your stills photography. Whatever your journey, I hope it is enjoyable and that you do not let your BIF frustrations ruin it for you. I know it has caused me quite a number of frustrating days, but I was also reminded that it is among the more challenging types of photography and it can take a lot of practice to get consistently good at it.

--Ken

Physician, heal they self! I am going to offer a piece of advice that is going to sound frustrating, but as I often find myself in the same predicament, I want you to know that I find it equally frustrating, and think that it is worth sharing. I have been flirting with BIF photography for almost 10 years now, and can count what I would call really successful days on both hands. I presently have a D500 and D750 and Nikon's 200-500 is my longest lens. 500mm on a D500 gives a similar FOV as a 750mm on full frame. Can't ask for a whole lot more than that without spending a small fortune. So, how well has it served me? To be honest, not that great, and it has nothing to do with the gear, although I do find the 200-500 to be somewhat slow to acquire initial focus.

My biggest problem is me. Life right now does not allow me to get out often, and I only know of a limited number of good places to photograph birds. And by "good" places, I mean places that allow you reasonably close access to lots of interesting bird activity. Some folks are quite lucky and live near places that offer amazing bird activity. When I visited FL and went to Wakodahatchee, it was like shooting fish in a barrel. Birds were everywhere and photography opportunities were as well. Where I live, there are great opportunities if you know where to go and when to go there. In short, I suspect that my time would be best spent trying to find better birding opportunities than trying to find a longer lens. I see works by a number of great photographers and some of them use lenses that are far shorter than I ever would have imagined. I suspect that part of their better technique is experience and knowing how to (safely) get closer to the action.

There was a member at another forum who kindly chatted on the phone with me about how he shot BIF in his backyard. His images were quite amazing and he always seemed to fill the frame. He passed away last year, but he kindly shared some advice with me about birding and about life, as he did with many forum members. He told me that while he put out food for the birds, he learned where they perched in his yard before they ate. Then he found a comfortable spot in the shade, pulled up a chair, relaxed and waited. It sounded so simple, but I started noticing the birds in my back yard and watched where they perched and flew. If I could now find some time, I know where I would set up and where I would wait for the action.

If the 800mm really floats your boat, then go for it. But if you buy or rent one and find that it is not meeting your needs, then you may want to consider other ways to approach the issue.

And regarding video, that is a whole other world that some days makes still photography seem easy. It can be a fun rabbit hole to get lost in, but it can also be a distraction from working on your stills photography. Whatever your journey, I hope it is enjoyable and that you do not let your BIF frustrations ruin it for you. I know it has caused me quite a number of frustrating days, but I was also reminded that it is among the more challenging types of photography and it can take a lot of practice to get consistently good at it.

--Ken
I know that I will never be a professional wildlife photographer but I do dream of being decent.

I know that I will never be a professional wildlife photographer but I do dream of being decent.
The 200-500mm slower focus than the Nikkor pro level lenses is a reasonable compromise for having a great value lens camera combo.
I have the 200-400 f4, 200-500 f5.6 and 600mm f4 and usually grab the 200-500mm first because its so light...🦘

So, it will be better than my current f mount 70-300 f/4.5 due to the extra light stops right?
The 70-200 f2.8 FL lens is going to be a better performing lens than the 70-300 AF-P FX in many ways and is about 4 times the cost. I have the 70-300 as well and it works fine on my D500 when I don't need the f2.8 and want a little more reach, but the 70-200 produces better images.

How many people can see the slight improvement with Z lenses ?
If you are shooting mostly video then the quietness is worth the change... 🦘
i'm not sure most people can "see" the improvements in normal situations, but usually they are better (typically incrementally) across the board and also have the advantage of not needing the adapter. and in certain cases, some of the new z-lenses offer advantages you can't find in the f-mount line like the 100-400 and some of the new z-mount PF lenses. and things like improved IS with the new VR syncro feature in some of the lenses like the 70-200, 100-400 and 105MC.
are they reasons enough for you to choose to upgrade? it's really depends on the individual.
do you *need* to upgrade? no.

Back