Who has bought the Apple Studio?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

DavidT

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I am curious who has bought the apple studio and how you like it? Is it worth the money? Which model did you go with? What do you do with it? What screen are you using? What did you have prior to the studio?

Check out

Last edited:
Now that this thread has been unlocked I’d love to hear owners opinions of this new computer.
I recently replaced a 27” iMac (late 2013 build) with a Mac Studio Max and Studio Display and added a second 27”monitor for my Lightroom Classic post processing (Eizo ColorEdge CG2700S 2560 x 1440). The second monitor aside, the Mac Studio combo is a stunning improvement in speed on my aged iMac for post. The time savings are for me well worth the substantial investment.

I recently replaced a 27” iMac (late 2013 build) with a Mac Studio Max and Studio Display and added a second 27”monitor for my Lightroom Classic post processing (Eizo ColorEdge CG2700S 2560 x 1440). The second monitor aside, the Mac Studio combo is a stunning improvement in speed on my aged iMac for post. The time savings are for me well worth the substantial investment.
Great to hear! Yes it is a crazy amount of money but my time is valuable as well.

I traded a competent 2020 i7 Intel iMac w/64GB of memory and an 8TB OWC Thunderbolt SSD external drive for a Mac Studio. I opted for the base model with 32GB but paid a little more for the 32 core and 1TB SSD for a little future proofing even though I edit directly off a NAS storage unit. (I actually bought the Studio as a refurb!) Needless to say the Studio is great, but I have to say if I was only editing stills the 2020 i7 iMac did a good job and I probably wouldn't have upgraded yet. But when it comes to rendering videos, the speed of the Studio is so ridiculous it had me laughing. Not everything is noticeably crazy-fast on the Studio, but if you're editing video the M1 Macs are a no-brainer.

I was bummed to have to spend $2k to buy the 27" Studio monitor which really isn't any better than my iMac, but of course Apple didn't design the retina iMacs to be used as a monitor so I had no choice. I did try the 40" LG curved 5k/2k monitor but found it was way too dim (300 nits) and the resolution was just "fair" for such a large monitor so I returned it. I'm planning on replacing the Studio monitor with the new Mac pro monitor that's likely going to be released with the M1 (M2?) pro next year.

I already had a 27" EIZO monitor that I was using on an Intel iMac, then on an M1 Mac Mini with 8Gb that I'd gotten to check out all the rumors. I discovered a) in the right circumstances the M1 is REALLY fast and 2) the right circumstance was running one application at a time because 8Gb just isn't enough memory. (I now have a surplus 8Gb Mac Mini :) ). I decided to take out some insurance and get the 32Gb Mac Studio, I've had it for a little more than a month and it's seriously fast, much faster than the 6-core i7 PC I have. Tasks like panorama merges, large images in Topaz, and ten plus layers in Photoshop don't faze it at all. Tasks that used to be measured in multiple minutes are now a few tens of seconds at most.

For still photography I think the 32Gb M1 is the sweet spot. More memory and more cores in the Ultra seem unnecessary for still photography. Just my opinion ... (edited: 32Gb requires the Max)

p.s. My Intel MacBook Pro is still adequate for travel.

Last edited:
M1 Max Pro 32 Gb and 4TB SSD. Works great and I have never heard what it’s fan sounds like either. Very quick using all Topaz plug-ins and PS 17 image focus stacking.

Hudson Henry has just brought out Studio video which you might like…

Hudson Henry

I have the Studio and really like it. It's an M1 Max, 64GB, 4TB (mostly for my Lightroom catalog previews lol). It's been really good, noticeably better than my 27" iMac (2018 I think). I've edited 4K video, all sorts of 45 / 51 MP RAW files and it's generally very fast and most operations are either instant or very, very fast. If I had it to do over, I'd get the exact same thing :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the Studio and really like it. It's an M1 Max, 64GB, 4TB (mostly for my Lightroom catalog previews lol). It's been really good, noticeably better than my 27" iMac (2018 I think). I've edited 4K video, all sorts of 45 / 51 MP RAW files and it's generally very fast and most operations are either instant or very, very fast. If I had it to do over, I'd get the exact same thing :)
Great feedback. So no need for the ultra or more than ram? Which version of the M1 Max did you go with?

Great feedback. So no need for the ultra or more than ram? Which version of the M1 Max did you go with?
I have the ten core M1 Max model.

I looked and considered the ultra but in the end it seemed like the difference in performance wasn't enough to justify the price. In same cases it really is twice as fast, but that's relative. I think what confined me was that I saw a test where a particular operation went form like 90 seconds with a similar computer to mine to 18 seconds with the Max vs 9 seconds with the ultra. Even though the ultra was twice as fast, once you get into the difference between 18 and 9 seconds, you start to question if it's really worth $3K extra for that.

In time, I may regret it and want more speed, but I also don't hang onto computer forever, either. I figure by the time I need something faster, I'll be ready for an upgrade :)

I have the ten core M1 Max model.

I looked and considered the ultra but in the end it seemed like the difference in performance wasn't enough to justify the price. In same cases it really is twice as fast, but that's relative. I think what confined me was that I saw a test where a particular operation went form like 90 seconds with a similar computer to mine to 18 seconds with the Max vs 9 seconds with the ultra. Even though the ultra was twice as fast, once you get into the difference between 18 and 9 seconds, you start to question if it's really worth $3K extra for that.

In time, I may regret it and want more speed, but I also don't hang onto computer forever, either. I figure by the time I need something faster, I'll be ready for an upgrade :)
Good point! What did you do about a monitor?

I bought the Mac Studio Ultra, fully loaded, AND I use this with Two Pro Display XDR screens -- and it is unbelievably good. I was in the market for a Mac Pro but a) no Apple Silicon version yet and b) stupidly pricy.

As noted in another forum ... my set up is pretty much the same as Steves except I only got the 1TB version since I edit directly from an external OWC SDD thunderbolt drive. And I do little to no video.

I replaced a 2013 27" iMac with the M1 Max, 64GB RAM, 2TB SSD, 10 core CPU and the Mac Studio Monitor. Not surprisingly it was a huge upgrade in speed. Just the rendering through Topaz DeNoise made the purchase worthwhile!
One overlooked benefit is the 10GB Ethernet port. I use that to direct connect to a 10GB port on my Synology NAS and transfer speeds are great.
The monitor was also a nice upgrade.

I JUST 20 min ago ordered my first Apple product, Mac Studio M1 Max 10 core CPU, 32 core GPU, 64GB Ram, 2TB Drive, I figure it will be suitable for my future video editing needs and way plenty for my current photo editing need. I also am adding a Thunderbolt 3 hub with an 4TB SSD, and 2TB m.2 drive that has SD/mini SD, AND CFExpress Type B (for my future Nikon Z9) card reader. I just need to figure out my new work flow. This will be for Video/Photo editing and graphic design for my sublimation.

Edit: I also ordered a Logitech MX Keys and MX mouse, and a thunderbolt 3 hub with 1 2.5” SSD bay, and 1 m.2 slot for storage and working files.

Last edited:
I got the apple display - and I love it :)
Steve, what do you think about the reference modes in the display, in particular the Photography P3-D65? Do you do your own calibration? If you do, what tool do you use?
Thank you.

I need to save for the monitor, I do have the Spyder X Elite to keep it somewhat calibrated, or should I get a better one? Edit: My mistake, I have the Elite. (PS) Does anyone know if you can calibrate a Television with the Spider X Elite or just monitors?

Last edited:
I need to save for the monitor, I do have the Spyder X Pro to keep it somewhat calibrated, or should I get a better one?
I use the Spyder X elite and data colorwill provide you with the very specific instructions on the best way to calibrate the new Studio Monitor. The Spyder X pro will also do the job The process/set up is a bit different than it was when calibrating my 2019 27" iMac.

I print at home on a Canon Pro 100 and using the Light Room Classic print module settings for color match to my monitor the results are great. Prints on metal are done by McKenna Pro and also come out great.

Back