Why do mirrorless cameras struggle with red?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Here's an example from this morning off my deck in which the subject is green with the feeder being red. In this case with the colors/target being green instead of red, focus acquisition was immediate and locked 100% of the time on these guys. I shot nearly 200 images without a hiccup.

_DSC6566-ARW_DxO_DeepPRIME-Edit.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

So I have been paying more attention about red birds after this thread started. I am just not seeing it. Both of my a1's lock on to the bird and the eye just as fast as any other colored bird. I think eye af is much slower on birds that match their environment or those with black feathers and black eyes. The contrast of the cardinal for example the af nails it fast.

Here is a little guy I recently shot with no issue.
20230427-_A1A1998-Edit-Edit-2.jpg

So I have been paying more attention about red birds after this thread started. I am just not seeing it. Both of my a1's lock on to the bird and the eye just as fast as any other colored bird. I think eye af is much slower on birds that match their environment or those with black feathers and black eyes. The contrast of the cardinal for example the af nails it fast.

View attachment 61322
You also said you never experienced focusing issue on birds flying near water since 1.31 and the forums are full of folks that are experiencing that issue. This image you posted is a cardinal in the open, not surrounded by green foliage. Perhaps it's just me, except four other members have stated the same on this thread. I promise I'm not trying to be argumentative, just trying to figure out why it happens.

View attachment 61322
I haven’t been back out since installing the firmware update last week because of the rain. I can tell you at least from trying it on my deck on hummingbirds and birds in the yard, the eye lock is absolutely insane on the A1 since that firmware update and I was blown away with how well It worked on extremely small ruby throated hummingbirds yesterday as well as some other songbirds off my deck. Just humor me and try to find something close to the example and posting here when the bird is surrounded by foliage and see if you have any issues as you can see in this image, it doesn’t even have much foliage around the bird, but it absolutely sitting on a tripod with a 600 G master lens on it would not lock onto this bird without helping it manually. I don’t know the reason, but if it is something I’m doing wrong I really would like to figure it out because it’s flawless on other birds of other colors.
_DSC5023-ARW_DxO_DeepPRIME.jpeg

You also said you never experienced focusing issue on birds flying near water since 1.31 and the forums are full of folks that are experiencing that issue. This image you posted is a cardinal in the open, not surrounded by green foliage. Perhaps it's just me, except four other members have stated the same on this thread. I promise I'm not trying to be argumentative, just trying to figure out why it happens.
I took some this weekend in dense trees and horrible lighting. I was actually using a flash. I’ll see if I can get around to pulling up an image for you. They aren’t what I would consider keepers or ones I’d publish but I didn’t see any focus issues. It was with the new firmware and the above image was with the old one.

As for shooting on water I haven’t had issues however like most cameras it depends on the focus mode you are using. When around water I don’t use wide or zone. Maybe it’s me but I’m pretty picky about letting the camera have too much control. Hell I’ve never shot in any mode but manual lol.

I took some this weekend in dense trees and horrible lighting. I was actually using a flash. I’ll see if I can get around to pulling up an image for you. They aren’t what I would consider keepers or ones I’d publish but I didn’t see any focus issues. It was with the new firmware and the above image was with the old one.

As for shooting on water I haven’t had issues however like most cameras it depends on the focus mode you are using. When around water I don’t use wide or zone. Maybe it’s me but I’m pretty picky about letting the camera have too much control. Hell I’ve never shot in any mode but manual lol.
Yeah same here, only shoot manual even manual iso a lot of times. It's just strange that it only happens with red when the damn thing can see a wren on the forest floor in the middle of winter instantaneously lol. As stated several times it by no means happens every time but when it does it will not under any circumstances acquire focus. 90 % of the time I use single medium box for birds and on smaller birds go to the smaller box. In flight I find zone in most situations works best for fast movers such as swallows. The A7RV doesn't seem to do this as much as the A1 but it also focuses better in general.

I am planning on going out tomorrow weather permitting to see if this latest firmware has helped any with this situation.

I haven’t been back out since installing the firmware update last week because of the rain. I can tell you at least from trying it on my deck on hummingbirds and birds in the yard, the eye lock is absolutely insane on the A1 since that firmware update and I was blown away with how well It worked on extremely small ruby throated hummingbirds yesterday as well as some other songbirds off my deck. Just humor me and try to find something close to the example and posting here when the bird is surrounded by foliage and see if you have any issues as you can see in this image, it doesn’t even have much foliage around the bird, but it absolutely sitting on a tripod with a 600 G master lens on it would not lock onto this bird without helping it manually. I don’t know the reason, but if it is something I’m doing wrong I really would like to figure it out because it’s flawless on other birds of other colors.
View attachment 61324
OK here you go. I shot these Sunday and for the record I was playing around with flash. As you will see in the metadata the light was horrible, it was raining and I would NEVER use any of these pics. It bothers me to even show them lol but all I did was click auto in Lightroom and for fun tried their new Denoise. Other than that I haven't touched them. I would say this is about as horrible of conditions as you could ask a camera to focus on a bird. Seeing your pic above and your lighting was great. Without flash you likely wouldn't see much of a bird. All handheld if that matters. These are with the new 1.32 but I am confident my other camera with 1.31 would do it equally as well. Also the focus mode was tracking, medium box with bird eye AF on.

20230514-_A1B7684-Enhanced-NR.jpg

20230514-_A1B7692-Enhanced-NR.jpg

20230514-_A1B8167-Enhanced-NR.jpg

OK here you go. I shot these Sunday and for the record I was playing around with flash. As you will see in the metadata the light was horrible, it was raining and I would NEVER use any of these pics. It bothers me to even show them lol but all I did was click auto in Lightroom and for fun tried their new Denoise. Other than that I haven't touched them. I would say this is about as horrible of conditions as you could ask a camera to focus on a bird. Seeing your pic above and your lighting was great. Without flash you likely wouldn't see much of a bird. All handheld if that matters. These are with the new 1.32 but I am confident my other camera with 1.31 would do it equally as well. Also the focus mode was tracking, medium box with bird eye AF on.

View attachment 61326
View attachment 61327
View attachment 61328
Yeah, I just don’t have an explanation. I’ve talked to a couple guys locally as well as the four or five on this thread that are stating they have experienced similar issues. I’m not sure what to make of it, but all I do know for sure is the Camera never ever struggles with any other subjects, or other than dark red birds. It’s like yesterday I posted the picture of the ruby throated hummingbird which was a green against a red background and it would lock on instantaneously and stick like glue, so I just really don’t understand it. The next time it does it I’m going to record the viewfinder with my cell phone and I’m also going to experiment with different settings providing the bird will stay there long enough to see if there’s anything at all that will improve it. it’s also not lens dependent because it has done it with at least four of the lenses I have currently which are all top-of-the-line lenses. Brother, if you have any recommendations, I’m all ears because I promise you it happens lol.

Yeah, I just don’t have an explanation. I’ve talked to a couple guys locally as well as the four or five on this thread that are stating they have experienced similar issues. I’m not sure what to make of it, but all I do know for sure is the Camera never ever struggles with any other subjects, or other than dark red birds. It’s like yesterday I posted the picture of the ruby throated hummingbird which was a green against a red background and it would lock on instantaneously and stick like glue, so I just really don’t understand it. The next time it does it I’m going to record the viewfinder with my cell phone and I’m also going to experiment with different settings providing the bird will stay there long enough to see if there’s anything at all that will improve it. it’s also not lens dependent because it has done it with at least four of the lenses I have currently which are all top-of-the-line lenses. Brother, if you have any recommendations, I’m all ears because I promise you it happens lol.
Come on down to TX and let's go shooting.

I have not noticed any issues with my Z9 focusing on red birds or red things in general but now that you have brought it up, I am going to keep an eye on it! In all these cases, the camera locked onto the eye no problems.

Eastern Rosella

Z9 + 800 PF, 1/400s f/6.3 at 800.0mm iso400

original.jpg

King Parrot in shadow and at -1 EV which is supposed to be not good for the AF.

Z9 + 85 f1.2S, 1/100s f/2.0 at 85.0mm iso110

original.jpg

Crimson Rosella using a 2x TC on the 400 f4.5

Z9 + 400 f4.5 + 2x TC, 1/160s f/9.0 at 800.0mm iso1400

original.jpg

Z9 + 400 f4.5 bare, 1/250s f/4.5 at 400.0mm iso1000

original.jpg

Red Lori

Z9 + 100-400 f4.5-5.6 VR S, 1/100s f/5.3 at 350.0mm iso4000
original.jpg

King Parrot,

Z9 + 100-400 f4.5-5.6 VR S, 1/200s f/5.6 at 400.0mm iso280