Wing Positions

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Which Wing Position?

• Total voters

DavidT

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I am working on going through 1TB of images from a Florida trip a couple of weeks ago and with 20 and 30FPS you get a tremendous amount of choices. Wing position becomes one of those choices that are a bit subjective. I am curious as to what you like best?

Here are three shots that have two frames between them. Which one of the three wing positions do you prefer?

PS I know it is just a boring blue sky.

Wing Position A:
_Dav4404-Edit.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Wing Position B:
_Dav4399-Edit-2.jpg

Wing Position C:
_Dav4403-Edit.jpg

Last edited:
In this set, I prefer the first. With the second shot, the back wing kind of swallows the bird's head visually. If it didn't, I think I would have preferred the second shot for the wing shape. FWIW

ETA: x-posted with @bleirer .

In this set, I prefer the first. With the second shot, the back wing kind of swallows the bird's head visually. If it didn't, I think I would have preferred the second shot for the wing shape. FWIW

ETA: x-posted with @bleirer .
Here is one of the in-between frames. I will edit and add it to the poll choices as option C.
_Dav4403-Edit.jpg

B. There’s little or no pattern on the top of the wing and seeing the underside is more pleasing to my eye. Granted, it doesnt highlight the head and eye the way that C does but that’s my 2 cents worth.

Odd that I saw this, just a day or two ago I was thinking of composition and how it relates to the subject of wildlife and birds, in particular. It took me awhile to stop and think about body shadows with birds and sometimes I still don't do it. There is so much to learn. I do like the way the face is framed in #2 but the wind looks a little odd, like it's just sort of poking out there. I don't know why they just can't pose correctly for us...:LOL:.

The first thing I learned in photography was "Don't let stuff stick out of your subject's head and make sure it doesn't blend in with the background", so that makes wing position A the only one viable for me.

They're all good, but A for me because there's no wing behind its head. I know it's part of the birds anatomy, but it's just a slight distraction. Not as bad as a stick immediately behind the birds head, but its approaching that territory for me. Just my opinion.

My personal favorite would be A because the lighting is so nice on that shot and I love the fact I can see the back side of the right wing which adds a lot of color, texture and detail. The others are quite nice and great focus too but A is my preference because of that right wing and the fact that the shape of the head is not obscured by the right wing.

@txstone I am curious you voted none of the above. What wing position on a bird like this do you prefer?
Yes, I had another Osprey pose in mind. I noticed my vote was an outlier, so thanks for the invitation, David. I hesitate to post a photo in someone else’s topic.

This shoot was taken with my Nikon D500 and 80-400 lens. In my case, the bird was high and far, and lighting was poor. So this is one that I show largely for the wing attitude and posture.

The bird was spending time over a tank (pond) in S. Texas, gliding and searching below, leading to this unusual pose. Osprey are also unusual visitors to this area, so it was an out of the ordinary experience.
DSC_12541.jpg

Yes, I had another Osprey pose in mind. I noticed my vote was an outlier, so thanks for the invitation, David. I hesitate to post a photo in someone else’s topic.

This shoot was taken with my Nikon D500 and 80-400 lens. In my case, the bird was high and far, and lighting was poor. So this is one that I show largely for the wing attitude and posture.

The bird was spending time over a tank (pond) in S. Texas, gliding and searching below, leading to this unusual pose. Osprey are also unusual visitors to this area, so it was an out of the ordinary experience.
View attachment 32267
I have plenty of with this pose as well :)

Back