Wing Positions

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Which Wing Position?

• Total voters
I am working on going through 1TB of images from a Florida trip a couple of weeks ago and with 20 and 30FPS you get a tremendous amount of choices. Wing position becomes one of those choices that are a bit subjective. I am curious as to what you like best?

Here are three shots that have two frames between them. Which one of the three wing positions do you prefer?

PS I know it is just a boring blue sky.

Wing Position A:
View attachment 32070

Wing Position B:
View attachment 32071

Wing Position C:
View attachment 32074
B for me. I like the wing positioning and eye is sharp! Wing position looks like bird is in “attack” mode.

Well, you asked only about wing position and so I'll limit my comments to that alone. I like them all, for starters, but favor "B" because for me it displays the power and strength of the bird. I don't view the position of the right wing relative to the head as a distraction at all but rather a display of how much power in flight that bird can generate. I also like "A" because it displays the majesty of the animals wing span, which is that photos strength . "C" is also a good shot, just comes in third for me because I just don't get those feelings from it that "A" and "B" elicit. Just an opinion.

Dave, a little better description for my choice. I'll be honest I have too many shots of my own against the blue sky and I just don't prefer the look of it around the head. They always have an artificial look along the edges to my eyes. The slightly shaded wing gives yours a nice background with the excellent sharpness still having that 3d effect or "pop" everyone likes.
Just my humble opinion. I'm just a dumb ol wireman with no formal artistic education or training.
Like I said they all look pretty pretty pretty good....
I agree with you. If you check out the famous YouTube thread I started there are some shots of an Osprey not on a blue background and some dynamic wing positions. As you know at 20FPS you have a ton of choices! It is interesting to me to see what everyone thinks as we all have similar shots and we all have what we like best. It is a reason I don't usually share my work with anyone. Photography can be very subjective and I do it for my own enjoyment not for others. But hey I am just a sales guy what do I know ;)

Reactions: Hut
Well, you asked only about wing position and so I'll limit my comments to that alone. I like them all, for starters, but favor "B" because for me it displays the power and strength of the bird. I don't view the position of the right wing relative to the head as a distraction at all but rather a display of how much power in flight that bird can generate. I also like "A" because it displays the majesty of the animals wing span, which is that photos strength . "C" is also a good shot, just comes in third for me because I just don't get those feelings from it that "A" and "B" elicit. Just an opinion.
I tend to agree on B but it is very interesting to see how others feel. I have every wing position you could ask for at 20 FPS and 2 days of shooting there are thousands of choices and not just on a blue sky. I picked the blue sky ones as there is nothing else to consider with background impacts.
I am curious however you make the "I'll limit my comments to that alone", what other thoughts do you have?

Well, well...so I am no the only one who has spun around this one. I like A and B but favor A.
Yeah it is interesting to see what everyone thinks. At 20 and 30FPS I have every wing position you could ask for. They each have their own strengths.

When I posted photos on facebook I would share a photo I actually worked to get with love and sweat and be excited about and I would get almost no reaction. Then post an out of focus squirrel with a nut in his mouth from iphone and get tons of likes and comments. lol
Isn't that so true. Some of the hardest shots don't get near as much attention as they should. Oh well...thank goodness I don't need to pay the mortgage with photography.

I just checked the poll and it seems A and B continue to be essentially tied. What I find even more fascinating is 4 people (one of which who was kind enough to comment) choose none of the above. Three of those four didn't comment as to why they dislike none of them. I wish they would engage and enlighten all of us as to why they are bad wing positions and should be deleted to never be seen again. You don't have to like the photography or the background as the entire purpose of the thread is to discuss wing positions. Some dialog is always welcomed.

I tend to agree on B but it is very interesting to see how others feel. I have every wing position you could ask for at 20 FPS and 2 days of shooting there are thousands of choices and not just on a blue sky. I picked the blue sky ones as there is nothing else to consider with background impacts.
I am curious however you make the "I'll limit my comments to that alone", what other thoughts do you have?
I had no comments relating to other elements of the photos that may affect the choice of wing position but noticed that some others seemed to have been influenced by considerations in addition to just wing position in making their choices, which is perfectly valid, but your question was isolated to wing position alone so I thought that's where the analysis should end. In my opinion, I thought each photo was extremely well executed, and in responding to your question I wanted to be clear that all I was looking at was the wings and the posture in which that placed the bird. Considering other elements in a particular photo, like lighting, or the positioning of the bird in the photo, or any other thing that could be considered a distraction that won't necessarily appear in another photo of a bird in the same wing position would, I thought, defeat the purpose of the question. Anyway, those were my thoughts. I have to say I completely understand about the Z9, 20 frames/second, and thousands of shots. I just spent a week with my Z9 photographing Snowy Owls and anything else that came my way in Fort Edward, NY, and stunned myself with the number of shots I ended up taking. It is an amazing camera. Because of the autofocus system my keeper rate has skyrocketed, and because of the speed I have far more choices available to me than I ever had with the D5 or D850.

I had no comments relating to other elements of the photos that may affect the choice of wing position but noticed that some others seemed to have been influenced by considerations in addition to just wing position in making their choices, which is perfectly valid, but your question was isolated to wing position alone so I thought that's where the analysis should end. In my opinion, I thought each photo was extremely well executed, and in responding to your question I wanted to be clear that all I was looking at was the wings and the posture in which that placed the bird. Considering other elements in a particular photo, like lighting, or the positioning of the bird in the photo, or any other thing that could be considered a distraction that won't necessarily appear in another photo of a bird in the same wing position would, I thought, defeat the purpose of the question. Anyway, those were my thoughts. I have to say I completely understand about the Z9, 20 frames/second, and thousands of shots. I just spent a week with my Z9 photographing Snowy Owls and anything else that came my way in Fort Edward, NY, and stunned myself with the number of shots I ended up taking. It is an amazing camera. Because of the autofocus system my keeper rate has skyrocketed, and because of the speed I have far more choices available to me than I ever had with the D5 or D850.
Thank you for the response!

Yes the new cameras are truly game changers. It's why I have been telling people if you are shooting DSLR and don't want to spend money on new cameras do not try and of the big 3 pro mirrorless cameras. They impact your photography much more than one would imagine until they use one. I loved my DSLR's over the years but none of them have delivered results that my a1 has for action shooting. I would imagine R3 and Z9 shooters are saying the same thing.

I am working on going through 1TB of images from a Florida trip a couple of weeks ago and with 20 and 30FPS you get a tremendous amount of choices. Wing position becomes one of those choices that are a bit subjective. I am curious as to what you like best?

Here are three shots that have two frames between them. Which one of the three wing positions do you prefer?

PS I know it is just a boring blue sky.

Wing Position A:
View attachment 32070

Wing Position B:
View attachment 32071

Wing Position C:
View attachment 32074
Definitely position B for my vote. I like the way the wing sort of frames the bird's head and draws my eye to the bird's eye.
PS - the blue sky, IMHO, is not in the least bit boring. It sets off the color of the Osprey.

I immediately see the bird's eye when I look at "b" , so the wing behind his head is not that much of a distraction for me. I love seeing the underside of both wings because the detail is so great in the overall picture.

Yes, I had another Osprey pose in mind. I noticed my vote was an outlier, so thanks for the invitation, David. I hesitate to post a photo in someone else’s topic.

This shoot was taken with my Nikon D500 and 80-400 lens. In my case, the bird was high and far, and lighting was poor. So this is one that I show largely for the wing attitude and posture.

The bird was spending time over a tank (pond) in S. Texas, gliding and searching below, leading to this unusual pose. Osprey are also unusual visitors to this area, so it was an out of the ordinary experience.
View attachment 32267
Love the pose. That far away the detail in the wings will be challenging. I like that all of his feathers are in view-great pose by this great bird.

Back