YAH! My First Snowy Owl.

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Excellent capture Ralph,
Never seen one in real life and the picture helps those from a different part of the world to appreciate the beauty of this magnificent bird,
Thanks for sharing ,
Gavin

Congratulations on your first snowy photo. I remember the feeling very well. Only two snowies in the area I usually go to. One of them is very dark, with the face being the only thing that is primarily white. They are very skittish in the area I photograph them in - all farmland.

Congratulations on your first snowy photo. I remember the feeling very well. Only two snowies in the area I usually go to. One of them is very dark, with the face being the only thing that is primarily white. They are very skittish in the area I photograph them in - all farmland.
Thanks. It was really cool. And the fact that I was by myself made it that much more enjoyable.

Been following eBird looking for an opportunity to spot my first Snowy Owl. There had been several sightings over the past several weeks of one down at Long Beach Island In NJ, about an hour from where l live. Took the chance to go down there yesterday and walked the entire 2 mile stretch of the Edwin B Forsythe Wildlife refuge and came up empty. On my return walk from the southern end of the island I took a detour to the bay side of the dunes and spotted one . I grabbed several shots of him or her before it took off. Tracked it and took a few more shots but it was behind some dune grass. It took off a second time. I wasn’t very close in either circumstance and wasn’t very optimistic about the quality of the shots. I could see that there was some heat haze and the camera had a tough time locking on. But when I returned home I was pleasantly surprised that some of the shots turned pretty good. Here’s one below.
D500, 500pf, TC 1.4., 1/1250, ISO 112 EC of -0.7.

View attachment 31257
Congrats Ralph. Still waiting for my first one or any owl picture, likely will be a long time for a snowy owl considering I am in California. Very nice shot.

Congratluations on getting your first Snowy Owl shot, Ralph! It is a fantastic shot! (y)

I love owls and would dearly love the opportunity to get some more but we don't get that many here in Australia and the ones we do have are nowhere near me! :mad:

Congrats Ralph. Still waiting for my first one or any owl picture, likely will be a long time for a snowy owl considering I am in California. Very nice shot.
Thanks Kurt. May not get a snowy but I‘m sure you will get an opportunity for other owl species. Check out the eBird app or the online Version. It will ID locations where bird sighting have taken place In your area. Its a worldwide database collection that is updated every day.

Congratluations on getting your first Snowy Owl shot, Ralph! It is a fantastic shot! (y)

I love owls and would dearly love the opportunity to get some more but we don't get that many here in Australia and the ones we do have are nowhere near me! :mad:
Thanks Lance. But you certainly have your share of unique and beautiful species of birds and other animals over there that I would love to photograph 😀

Thanks Kurt. May not get a snowy but I‘m sure you will get an opportunity for other owl species. Check out the eBird app or the online Version. It will ID locations where bird sighting have taken place In your area. Its a worldwide database collection that is updated every day.
Congrats Ralph on your great photo of the snowy owl
Thanks Ralph. I have used the app and have seen just one owl , Great Horned , on 3 occasions, but they have been so tucked into the trees it makes getting a picture almost impossible in the wildlife refuges around here, you are supposed to stay in cars soooo, the hunt continues.

Back