YAH! My First Snowy Owl.

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I'm up in Warren County so it's a haul to get down there and then walk 2 miles. Then walk back and head home, but one of these days I'll do it. In 2013 we had one take residence up here at Merrill Creek and I'd head over every day at lunch to look for it since I work from home. I wish I had the equipment and skills then that I do now (I'd been shooting for 18 months with an D7000 and Sigma 150-500mm). They're wonderful birds.

I'm up in Warren County so it's a haul to get down there and then walk 2 miles. Then walk back and head home, but one of these days I'll do it. In 2013 we had one take residence up here at Merrill Creek and I'd head over every day at lunch to look for it since I work from home. I wish I had the equipment and skills then that I do now (I'd been shooting for 18 months with an D7000 and Sigma 150-500mm). They're wonderful birds.
There have also been sightings at Sandy Hook. May be worth a try. Walking in that sand isn’t fun.?

Been following eBird looking for an opportunity to spot my first Snowy Owl. There had been several sightings over the past several weeks of one down at Long Beach Island In NJ, about an hour from where l live. Took the chance to go down there yesterday and walked the entire 2 mile stretch of the Edwin B Forsythe Wildlife refuge and came up empty. On my return walk from the southern end of the island I took a detour to the bay side of the dunes and spotted one . I grabbed several shots of him or her before it took off. Tracked it and took a few more shots but it was behind some dune grass. It took off a second time. I wasn’t very close in either circumstance and wasn’t very optimistic about the quality of the shots. I could see that there was some heat haze and the camera had a tough time locking on. But when I returned home I was pleasantly surprised that some of the shots turned pretty good. Here’s one below.
D500, 500pf, TC 1.4., 1/1250, ISO 112 EC of -0.7.

Great shot, Ralph. Removing that pesky grass really improved an already excellent image. I was out there on Wednesday, and found one all by myself! Fortunately, I only had to hike about 3/4 mile before I spotted her back in the dunes. Took a few shots before something spooked her and off she flew!

Great shot, Ralph. Removing that pesky grass really improved an already excellent image. I was out there on Wednesday, and found one all by myself! Fortunately, I only had to hike about 3/4 mile before I spotted her back in the dunes. Took a few shots before something spooked her and off she flew!
Nice! Its been spotted everyday for the past couple of weeks. Glad you got to see it. Its pretty skittish. 👍👍👍

Back