Yellow anaconda... not one, but two !

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

PhD69

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Brazil, Pantanal - 5PM, 2022 August 20

It is an animal that is not easy to see, due to its size, color and positioning. I had a chance to identify one as we were heading back to the boat-hotel.

It is thanks to the yellow of his skin that I spotted him. It was on the bank, a few tens of centimeters from the water level.

It took us a while to understand that we're facing not one anaconda but two. The bottom one approached his head from the top one, very slowly. When they came in contact, it was like an electric arc, the two heads went backwards. There was nothing left to see.

It is interesting to observe the size of the body compared to that of the head, which is much smaller.

The second photograph is duller because there is a 15-minute gap with the first and the light decreased rapidly. I left it as it was, without trying to bring it back to the brilliance of the first.

The photos are taken from the boat, at +-5.4m or about 210 inches.

BCG-044.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

BCG-045.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Last edited:
Right on, nice capture. Snakes are so fascinating. Off to google the yellow anaconda and curious what part of the world you were in. Are these a common sighting?

Right on, nice capture. Snakes are so fascinating. Off to google the yellow anaconda and curious what part of the world you were in. Are these a common sighting?
Thank you for your comment.
Common sighting : It is not easy to locate it. If it is lying on the ground, it has almost no volume and is therefore difficult to see, except to be overhanging. In my case, it was rather ball and declination, which allowed to see it better (it’s all relative).

Wow, what a find! Beautiful snakes and love how intimate the second photo feels.
Thank you. It was not easy to get a correct framing because both anacondas were surrounded by vegetation, with branches in all directions. I corrected a few of them in post-production.

Beautiful photos. I am reminded of when I drove from Rio to Bahia with my soon to be in-laws and my fiancé. I believe it was on the second of the three day drive that we drove through some jungle areas and there were many roadside vendors with huge anaconda skins stretched out on frames. My wife was very afraid of snakes so we did not stop to look closer or photograph.

Brazil, Pantanal - 5PM, 2022 August 20

It is an animal that is not easy to see, due to its size, color and positioning. I had a chance to identify one as we were heading back to the boat-hotel.

It is thanks to the yellow of his skin that I spotted him. It was on the bank, a few tens of centimeters from the water level.

It took us a while to understand that we're facing not one anaconda but two. The bottom one approached his head from the top one, very slowly. When they came in contact, it was like an electric arc, the two heads went backwards. There was nothing left to see.

It is interesting to observe the size of the body compared to that of the head, which is much smaller.

The second photograph is duller because there is a 15-minute gap with the first and the light decreased rapidly. I left it as it was, without trying to bring it back to the brilliance of the first.

The photos are taken from the boat, at +-5.4m or about 210 inches.

View attachment 52356

View attachment 52357
Beautiful photos! Love the snakes!
If you don't mind me asking, what tour company did you use for Pantanal?

Back