z 180-600mm backlog: how can a non nps photographer get one today?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

wotan1

Supporting Member
Marketplace
There is a lot of discussion about the Z 180-600mm.

Some people are obviously getting theirs.

I tried to order one last summer. I eventually gave up and moved on.

When I cancelled my order my friend the same day placed his order with B & H. As of this point he still hasn't gotten his lens and no one has any idea when it will become available. I think he ordered it last Sepltember.

So, my question for discussion is how are people getting their lens and how long will it be before the rest of us can get it?

When I cancelled my order my friend the same day placed his order with B & H. As of this point he still hasn't gotten his lens and no one has any idea when it will become available. I think he ordered it last Sepltember.

So, my question for discussion is how are people getting their lens and how long will it be before the rest of us can get it?
Order it from Nikon USA is probably your best bet. You should be able to get one in a month.

I cannot comment on the US situation but I know 2 shops in Belgium that have one in stock but my regular supplier still has 12 in backorder (around the same for another bigger dealer in our part of the world). At the current rate of receiving 1 a week by average can you do the math.
Yes, I could go to one of the dealers and one just a few kms away from my place but I have patience and like my camera dealer (and have enough glass as well)

Smaller shops is the way to go. Everybody uses BH, Adorama etc so the waitlists are huge. Call around to smaller stores and you’ll be more likely to find one. I got my 500PF at the height of the buying craze in about 3 days vs people waiting months for theirs.

I'm in the UK so not sure if it is all that relevant but I placed a pre-order with WEX (kind of equivallent to B&H over here) on the 23rd December and I got my confirmation of shipping on the 29th so less than a week. I'm not NPS. Unfortunately, the lens is held up by the new year holidays but delivery is expected on the 2nd now. When ordering, I was told it would be a month as there were 90 people on backorder nationally with WEX, I can only assume they are now shipping the lenses in much larger quantities so, I would get your pre-order in with your preferred supplier asap.

I placed my order with Grays of Westminster a few days after the announcement & have had it a couple of months now, but that’s in the UK & I’m not an NPS member.

Something doesn’t make sense.
It’s simple lens design, no PF, or exotic elements, and there is still a backlog?

I have a feeling Nikon is tightening up quality and control in production, to minimize sample variation and returns.

Maybe that’s holding it up?

Something doesn’t make sense.
It’s simple lens design, no PF, or exotic elements, and there is still a backlog?
It's a long awaited lens that delivers a very useful focal length range at an unexpectedly low price. The demand has been very high for this lens, I expect that has more to do with short stock than any last minute changes to manufacturing or QC procedures.

Just comparing its price to something like the 600mm PF is enough to explain why the latter has been much easier to find on the shelf.

Yup., I'll echo what's already been said - look to smaller dealers. Get on their waitlists / e-mail updates. Check places like Best Buy - not a lot of people think of them but they are a Nikon authorized dealer and sometimes I've been able to snag a lens from them when no one else had it.

I agree with @Steve. Were I ordering this lens now in the United States I’d check with smaller dealers. I’d avoid any gray market sellers.

I’m sure we’d all love to know why this lens has been so difficult to obtain, but I think the simplest answer is likely correct: Nikon product managers grossly underestimated demand and ramping up production capacity has been challenging.

Thanks everyone. I was asking these questions for a friend. I have passed all your responses on to him.

By the way, since I think this is my 100th post I thought I would explain my avatar image.

The photo in the image is not me, it is a photo of a famous opera singer, Bryn Terfel. He performed the role of Wotan in Wagner's Ring for Metropolitan Opera.

I happen to love Wagner and he is one of my favorite singers. I thought the image was appropriate for a wildlife photography forum because of the ravens.

Let me know if the image is too macho and I can change it.

Thanks everyone. I was asking these questions for a friend. I have passed all your responses on to him.

By the way, since I think this is my 100th post I thought I would explain my avatar image.

The photo in the image is not me, it is a photo of a famous opera singer, Bryn Terfel. He performed the role of Wotan in Wagner's Ring for Metropolitan Opera.

I happen to love Wagner and he is one of my favorite singers. I thought the image was appropriate for a wildlife photography forum because of the ravens.

Let me know if the image is too macho and I can change it.
As long as Mr. Terfel doesn't mind, it's good with me :)

Smaller shops is the way to go. Everybody uses BH, Adorama etc so the waitlists are huge. Call around to smaller stores and you’ll be more likely to find one. I got my 500PF at the height of the buying craze in about 3 days vs people waiting months for theirs.
good advice. I have found hard to find lems and bodies by checking with smaller shops

When I mentioned on another thread that I had ordered one, someone on this forum sent me a private message that they are selling theirs that is hardly used. I am not sure why they don't just post it on the for sale forum, but maybe they will see this thread and contact you?

I ordered from a small local dealer one month ago and was number three on their list. He said he was getting them in at a rate of one per week (one for sure was coming in that week which would bump me up to number two). He was hoping I would have mine for Christmas, but alas I have not heard anything yet.

Other than buying a used one, you could downloading the Nikon authorized dealer PDF off the Nikon USA website and call the stores to see if any have one on the shelf.

After that, I'd just place an order on Nikon's site

Yup., I'll echo what's already been said - look to smaller dealers. Get on their waitlists / e-mail updates. Check places like Best Buy - not a lot of people think of them but they are a Nikon authorized dealer and sometimes I've been able to snag a lens from them when no one else had it.
I have bought many hard to find Nikon items at Best Buy, but there is a trick. Go on their website in the early morning hours after midnight. That's when they post in-stock items for sale. Early bird catches the worm. It works!

I have bought many hard to find Nikon items at Best Buy, but there is a trick. Go on their website in the early morning hours after midnight. That's when they post in-stock items for sale. Early bird catches the worm. It works!
Thanks! That's really good to know!!

I found several Z 9 at best buy there was not particular time it showed up. I checked different times and mornings, but not very early, tended work best.

I got my Z9 from Best Buy in a week. At the times that it was out of stock everywhere.
The down side of BB vs. B&H is the Payboo…
True. Depends where you live. I am out side Chicago and our sales tax is around 10%. In other areas of the state it is *only* 6%. So PayBoo is very helpful. For non-B&H purchases I use a BofA rewards cards which pays me 2.5% back. Not as good as the PayBoo card, but better than airline points ...

There was one at West Photo in Minneapolis last week...
They had the 400 f2.8S, 600 f4S, and 180-600 in stock. I bought the 400 f2.8S and one of the photographers I've been tutoring bought the 600 f4.
If you buy from West, you'll have to pay shipping as they do not typicallly do out of state sales.

bruce

Date of this info is January 1, 2024.

B&H and Adorama both list as backordered, but if you search on Amazon for it, it is listed as available. In Amazon, go to The Nikon Store, choose lenses and go down to the 18-600 and click. When it comes up, look at "Buying Options", scroll down to where you find the new lens (versus Used), and it says it will arrive on January 3 with Prime delivery. The price is MUCH HIGHER though @ $2269 versus $1699. The purchase would be through Green's Camera World. THIS IS NOT A RECOMMENDATION, just letting you what I found. I've never heard of Green's Camera World and have no idea how reputable they are.

Back