Z 400 f/4.5 - Purpose?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

The new Z 400/2.8?
What’s the reason you’re not using it?
I have the 800pf, and It’s not do bad, especially with a short Zamlin hood. the 400/2.8 is only 1 pound heavier.
Joel, with all due respect, you’ve misspelled “Zemlin” in numerous posts. The man makes amazing products, let’s make sure people can find Carl and his site by spelling his last name correctly:

https://www.zemlinphoto.com/

Joel, with all due respect, you’ve misspelled “Zemlin” in numerous posts. The man makes amazing products, let’s make sure people can find Carl and his site by spelling his last name correctly:

Thank you for bringing it to my attention. Some names or words that share an A or E I can get confused. For example, Message or Massage.
Spell check would allow either one…

And BTW, Mr. Zemlin’s first name is spelled Karl. That said, I know he’s not that sensitive. I sent him an email some time ago and the software auto-spelled his first name “Carol” (my wife’s first name) which I missed. He assured me was not offended as he processed my order.

Last edited:
And BTW, Mr. Zemlin’s first name is spelled Karl. That said, I know he’s not that sensitive. I sent him an email some time ago and the software auto-spelled his first name “Carol” (my wife’s first name) which I missed. He assured me was not offended as he processed my order.
Dang it.. yes, it is Karl with a "K" 😫

Good information.
Thank you for sharing.
Actually my wife is the one with more experience in studio, and I’m more proficient in outdoor and BIF.
The images taken with no adjustment was a completely dark turkey vulture. I had to open the shadows almost all the way and the noise was too much for my liking. So I ran in in Topaz photo AI with noise reduction set to “1” which was enough to clean it up.

Regarding shutter speed, I didn’t think I would need to go up to 1/3200. But apparently 1/2500 wasn’t enough.
I have Steve’s books. The BIF for Z9 I paid $200 for a color printed spiral
Was there a lot of light coming from above, sun high in the sky, and a bit in front of the Turkey Vulture? Which gives you a very dark bird against a bright sky.

I shoot for ID first and everything else after that.

I use center weighted metering more than most in those situations because I do not care if I blow out or come near to blowing out a plain blue sky if I am wanting detail in the bird. You can end up with a high key image (ala Lisa Langel) which sometimes looks great to me but not always. In those situation I have really had to crank up the EV a lot and that frequently means higher ISO. But a much brighter subject that does not need as much shadow opening in processing.

As Steve has noted and I have experienced many times the underwings are a maze of lurking noise :) When @Steve is doing what I term planned shots he frequently tries to get a reflective surface involved to light the under wings. I have done it by accident more than on purpose since I seldom go after planned shots and I do not have Steves patience, and expertise. I am more of a birder citizen science guy. Of course waterfowl, some waders and shore birds lend themselves much more to that than Soaring Turkey Vultures, Raptors, Snow Geese etc..

The new Z 400/2.8?
What’s the reason you’re not using it?
I have the 800pf, and It’s not do bad, especially with a short Zamlin hood. the 400/2.8 is only 1 pound heavier.
I was out with an Audubon birding group today in high winds in the high sage steppe and I was as usual the verifier of far off birds for the binocular crew and even spotting scopes in some cases. Z9 in DX and Z800PF and if needed I hit ok button on play back and double the image size in the view finder. I use Karl Zemlin's two piece hood on the Z800 and when the wind is up I take the front half off and it really reduces the sail effect and makes things more manageable.

An
I was out with an Audubon birding group today in high winds in the high sage steppe and I was as usual the verifier of far off birds for the binocular crew and even spotting scopes in some cases. Z9 in DX and Z800PF and if needed I hit ok button on play back and double the image size in the view finder. I use Karl Zemlin's two piece hood on the Z800 and when the wind is up I take the front half off and it really reduces the sail effect and makes things more manageable
And? I’m waiting for the rest of the story..

Back