Z 600mm f4 tripod collar foot replacement

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Ivan Rothman

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Nikon's foot for the tripod collar of lenses is not Arca Swiss compatible.
The foot is the same on the Nikon Z 400mm f2.8 and the Z 800mm. It will also be the same size on the new 600mm f4.
Really Right Stuff has an Area Swiss compatible replacement foot for these lenses called LCF-22 plate. Currently on backorder.
Kirk also has a replacement foot.

Maybe its time to flood Nikon with recommendations to manufacture all tripod collars to be Arca Swiss compatible foot plate.
I wish. But there is a vast number of Manfrottos, Sachtlers and others that have their own (inferior) contraptions. Just had to swap out part on my brand new DJI gumball for the same reasoning.

If you don't wish to spring for a replacement foot, Arca Swiss adapter plates and rails are available from several sources, such as Wemberley, Really Right Stuff, Hejnar Photo, and others.

Nikon's foot for the tripod collar of lenses is not Arca Swiss compatible.
The foot is the same on the Nikon Z 400mm f2.8 and the Z 800mm. It will also be the same size on the new 600mm f4.
Really Right Stuff has an Area Swiss compatible replacement foot for these lenses called LCF-22 plate. Currently on backorder.
Kirk also has a replacement foot.

Ivan -- correct -- I already confirmed that the same foot fits the Z400/2.8TC and the Z800/6.3PF.
The replacement foot that I worked with Zenelli (Carbon LFZ) to produce will fit this lense as well. It is made from Carbon Fibre with a metal attachment fitting (see images for the Z400 and Z800 below). You should be able to ask your supplier or B+H to source this for you or buy from Zenelli directly.
There are several brands in the US that also make replacement feet now for these lens fittings using aluminium alloy.
NOTE they are different to the feet for the E-series and G-series lenses.
And Ken Zemlin makes hoods and lens caps for the 400 and 800 and will also make the same for the Z600 as soon as we can give him the measurements he needs (in detail).

WM-WM-20220930 155814  B0002053 - X2D 100C XCD 21 - 21 mm  ¹⁄₈₀ sec at ƒ - 9.0 ISO 200 ‒ 1 ⁵⁄₁...jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
WM-WM-20220930 154732  B0002033 - X2D 100C XCD 120 - 120 mm  ¹⁄₁₀₀ sec at ƒ - 4.5 ISO 200 ‒ 3 ...jpg

Ivan -- correct -- I already confirmed that the same foot fits the Z400/2.8TC and the Z800/6.3PF.
The replacement foot that I worked with Zenelli (Carbon LFZ) to produce will fit this lense as well. It is made from Carbon Fibre with a metal attachment fitting (see images for the Z400 and Z800 below). You should be able to ask your supplier or B+H to source this for you or buy from Zenelli directly.
There are several brands in the US that also make replacement feet now for these lens fittings using aluminium alloy.
And Ken Zemlin makes hoods and lens caps for the 400 and 800 and will also make the same for the Z600 as soon as we can give him the measurements he needs (in detail).

View attachment 48981View attachment 48982
All that post has done, Andy, has revived my lust for the Zinelli carbon gimbal, which I almost chose... :)

All that post has done, Andy, has revived my lust for the Zinelli carbon gimbal, which I almost chose... :)
Butt then you need to save 100g and go for their Carbon Fibre replacement foot as well -- the great news for those of you in really cold places is that since it is made from carbon fibre you do not get cold metal to glove contact....... well that is on excuse.

Butt then you need to save 100g and go for their Carbon Fibre replacement foot as well -- the great news for those of you in really cold places is that since it is made from carbon fibre you do not get cold metal to glove contact....... well that is on excuse.
Love the justification! :)

@ssheipel

As nice as the Zinelli is, the Kirk LP-72, was half the price and a mere 23gms (0.8OZ) weight difference, plus also has the nice hard cushioned grip.
..........now all I need is my Z400TC.............it's coming within a few days, quite excited! :D

The Z400TC, Z600TC and the Z800PF all take the same foot. ;)

IMG_7995.jpg
IMG_7996.jpg

View attachment 48981View attachment 48982
Hey Andy, I've noticed when looking at this foot there's a 'cord' showing in the photos, but not in your shot. Is the cord a safety line? And I'm seeing it getting caught in a lot of brush, yes? Thanks.

Hey Andy, I've noticed when looking at this foot there's a 'cord' showing in the photos, but not in your shot. Is the cord a safety line? And I'm seeing it getting caught in a lot of brush, yes? Thanks.
The 'chord" attaches a little stop clamp slip protection slider that comes with the foot. The foot has screws to stop it slipping off an arca clamp/head -- but Zanelli added this too. I remove both the chord and the plastic bit, which I don't need.

Andy am I concluding correctly that you are very happy with the Zenelli gimbal mount and lens foot? I' would be using them with a Nikon Z9 and a

Nikon NIKKOR Z 600mm f/4 TC VR S Lens.

Hi Andy, which lens cover are you using on your Nikon Z400 2.8 TC ?
LensCoat Realtree Max5 -- but I tend to NOT use the pieces: Closest to the mount, over the control Rings AND I cut holes in the cover where the Lens Fn buttons (FN 1 and Fn 2) so that I can find them quickly by feel. AND I apply black 1"/20mm studio tape around the end of cover on the hood to help prevent wear.

Lenscoat will email me when they have a matching lens cover for the Z 600mm f/4 TC VR S-line.

Karl Zemlin has nust email me to confirm that he hopes to add Zemlin Hoods for the Z 600mm f/4 TC VR S-line to his web site this week. I will share "after I have ordered mine"!!

FOR SMALLER lenses I also add a follow focus cog ring (basically a rubber band) on top of the lens control ring so that when I switch the roles of the Focus/Control Rings I can then quickly find the "new" focus ring (works on most s-line lenses but not the long teles yet -- we need a firmware update for this to enable f9 focus ring rotation range and f11 switch focus/control ring roles)

Perfect. Was hoping for that answer :)
Here are some "shots"

a - 20221205 134433  IMG_1537 - iPhone 13 Pro Max iPhone 13 Pro Max back triple camera 5.7mm f...jpg
a - 20221205 134448  IMG_1538 - iPhone 13 Pro Max iPhone 13 Pro Max back triple camera 5.7mm f...jpg
a - 20221205 134510  IMG_1539 - iPhone 13 Pro Max iPhone 13 Pro Max back triple camera 5.7mm f...jpg
a - IMG_1541 - NOWM.jpg

how's the upper metal part of the foot linked with the carbon fibre part?
I really like the optics of the foot but probably think a "one piece" metal solution like the Wimberley gives me more "piece of mind" than a 2 piece metal/carbon solution...but maybe that's just me worrying something not worth to worry about :)

Last edited:
I have just received my 600/f4 TC and would like to get a replacement foot. There seem to be a few to choose from, i.e. Kirk, Hejnar, Zenelli and RRS (out of stock as of now). As the Z 400/f2.8, 800PF and 600/f4 all share the same replacement foot I look forward to hearing from the forum members as to their experiences and recommendations between the various brands. Andy Miller has shared his thoughts on the Zenelli foot but is it really worth the price (more than triple the others)? I have an open mind.

I have just received my 600/f4 TC and would like to get a replacement foot. There seem to be a few to choose from, i.e. Kirk, Hejnar, Zenelli and RRS (out of stock as of now). As the Z 400/f2.8, 800PF and 600/f4 all share the same replacement foot I look forward to hearing from the forum members as to their experiences and recommendations between the various brands. Andy Miller has shared his thoughts on the Zenelli foot but is it really worth the price (more than triple the others)? I have an open mind.
I just put the Kirk replacement foot on my 600 TC and I’m quite pleased with it. Kirk foot comes with extra screws matching color of plate and a very nice hex tool to use (long and with a handle)
I can’t compare the Kirk foot to the other brands

I just put the Kirk replacement foot on my 600 TC and I’m quite pleased with it. Kirk foot comes with extra screws matching color of plate and a very nice hex tool to use (long and with a handle)
I can’t compare the Kirk foot to the other brands
Thanks for your input Ivan. It's good to know. I have bought from Kirk before and I know that they make quality products. I think Steve uses the Hejnar foot and it is the cheapest among them all.

Tamron and Sigma make their telephoto feet Arca Swiss compatible and it is an endless source of frustration that none of the main camera manufacturers do. I spoke with a Canon Pro rep at an event and she confirmed that people have been demanding it and in fact she forwarded the information to Canon headquarters. My local Nikon store says people have been asking for it as well. I don't know why Canon/Nikon/Sony don't get it when Tamron and Sigma do.

Tamron and Sigma make their telephoto feet Arca Swiss compatible and it is an endless source of frustration that none of the main camera manufacturers do. I spoke with a Canon Pro rep at an event and she confirmed that people have been demanding it and in fact she forwarded the information to Canon headquarters. My local Nikon store says people have been asking for it as well. I don't know why Canon/Nikon/Sony don't get it when Tamron and Sigma do.
It is really simple - we who own these lenses and want a different foot buy replacement feet. The cost is tiny compared to the cost of the lens. Most sporting pros just screw their lens onto a monopod and so do not need replacement feet. The bureaus that supply these lenses never change the feet.
I worked with Zenelli to help them make their replacement foot for this fitting.

I have the Really Right Stuff LCF-22. I'm sure the other options are comparable but I've ordered so many L-Plates, lens feet, flash brackets, a ball head and other RRS accessories I stayed with the same brand. It took much longer to receive than expected, about 2 1/2 months, but I had an L85 universal plate that sufficed while I waited. I ordered the universal foot for my 180-400 TC since RRS stopped making a lens foot for that lens. I may eventually pick up another manufacturers foot for my 180-400. The RRS foot with its rounded edges is very comfortable to hand hold the 600 with and the length is plenty to balance well on both the full and MonoGimbal Wiberley’s with and without the external Z TC1.4.

RRS_600_Foot.jpg

Last edited:
I have the Really Right Stuff LCF-22. I'm sure the other options are comparable but I've ordered so many L-Plates, lens feet, flash brackets, a ball head and other RRS accessories I stayed with the same brand. It took much longer to receive than expected, about 2 1/2 months, but I had an L85 universal plate that sufficed while I waited. I ordered the universal foot for my 180-400 TC since RRS stopped making a lens foot for that lens. I may eventually pick up another manufacturers foot for my 180-400. The RRS foot with its rounded edges is very comfortable to hand hold the 600 with and the length is plenty to balance well on both the full and MonoGimbal Wiberley’s.

View attachment 57838

Last edited:
Back