Z Series Teleconverters vs F Series Teleconverters

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Mark Garfinkel

Supporting Member
Marketplace

AF-S TELECONVERTER TC-14E III is compatible with 23 lenses while the​

Z TELECONVERTER TC-1.4x is only compatible with 4 lenses only. Is this by design or Nikon hasn't updated their compatibility.​

Has anyone used the Z Teleconverter with other Z lenses other than the 4 listed. Z600mm, Z400mm, Z100-400mm, 70-200mm.

https://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/product/mirrorless-lenses/nikkor-z-600mm-f%2f4-tc-vr-s.html

TC Compatibility List 1.4 TC

Last edited:

AF-S TELECONVERTER TC-14E III is compatible with 23 lenses while the​

Z TELECONVERTER TC-1.4x is only compatible with 4 lenses only. Is this by design or Nikon hasn't updated their compatibility.​

Has anyone used the Z Teleconverter with other Z lenses other than the 4 listed. Z600mm, Z400mm, Z100-400mm, 70-200mm.

https://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/product/mirrorless-lenses/nikkor-z-600mm-f%2f4-tc-vr-s.html

The Z TC 1.4X and the 2.0X currently work with 6 Z lenses: 70-200 f2.8 100-400 400 f4.5 400 f2.8 800 f6.3 and the just announced 600mm f4
The teleconverters work on every Z lens of 400mm or greater and they work on every lens of 200mm or greater except the 50-250mm DX lens and the 24-200mm lens.
They don't work on the 105mm macro lens.
In my opinion, the Z teleconverters work much better with the Z lenses, especially when used on a Z9 body, than the F-mount teleconverters. Quality of AF and quality of the images is quite good.

I have both the TC14 and TC20. I have many days of experience with the TC14 on a 70-200 mm f/2.8 S and the TC20 on a 400 mm TC 2,8 S. Center remains excellent with either TC. Corners may go from Excellent to Very Good, a small compromise for the reach. I used an f mount TC 14 on a 500 PF and D850 for several months. Center was Excellent with the TC but the corners showed visible degradation. Still good, but less so than the bare lens. There may be a technical reason why the Z TCs seem to do better, but I have no idea what it would be.

FWIW: The front lens glass housing of both Z teleconverters extends about ½" beyond the TC's lens mounting flange face. Therefore the TC's are only compatible with the listed longer tele lenses where the rear lens glass of these tele's is sufficiently recessed forward of the lens mounting flange to accommodate the extension on the TC's. This design feature can be clearly seen when comparing the location of rear lens with respect to the mounting flange in these tele's with that of the any of the incompatible lenses.

For this same reason the lens-end flange cap of the TC's is clearly marked to warn against attempting to mount that end to the camera (potential sensor damage).

(The Z TC 1.4X and the 2.0X currently work with 6 Z lenses: 70-200 f2.8 100-400 400 f4.5 400 f2.8 800 f6.3 and the just announced 600mm f4
The teleconverters work on every Z lens of 400mm or greater and they work on every lens of 200mm or greater except the 50-250mm DX lens and the 24-200mm lens.
They don't work on the 105mm macro lens.
In my opinion, the Z teleconverters work much better with the Z lenses, especially when used on a Z9 body, than the F-mount teleconverters. Quality of AF and quality of the images is quite good.
I agree — NIKON irritated many when the Z105/2.8 macro was launched without the ability to accept a ZTC (me too). But as noted the ZTCs seem to deliver better performance than the best AF-S TCs did. It is fairly marginal. Over time I am sure NIKON will release more long glass where using a TC makes sense - I have and use 3 ( 2 1.4 and a single 2.0) — the 1.4 is essential kit, the ZTC20 is a lifeline I very rarely pullout and only in very good light on the 800 and 100-400.

Has anyone been able to get their hands on the Z TC 1.4x recently? I have been looking for one for several months to pair with the 100-400 but it is sold out everywhere and on one seems to have any idea when it will become available. I see that the 2.0x is now available, and while I would like the extra reach I really don’t want to give up 2 stops.

Has anyone been able to get their hands on the Z TC 1.4x recently? I have been looking for one for several months to pair with the 100-400 but it is sold out everywhere and on one seems to have any idea when it will become available. I see that the 2.0x is now available, and while I would like the extra reach I really don’t want to give up 2 stops.
personally, i'd just order one directly from nikon

I've just checked and Nikon USA are showing it on their web site as available to order.

FWIW I've had shorter delivery times ordering Z equipment directly from Nikon than for retail outlets Including way back with my: Z7; and Z 14-30mm lens; and this year with my Z9; Z 100-400mm lens; Z 1.4TC; and Z2.0 TC. I'm not NPS and they are not the most forthcoming with information when I have called them for order status updates but they have consistently made these deliveries before the dealer was able to.

YMMV!

Well shoot, I’m glad I asked! I’m not NPS and I’ve never ordered anything direct from Nikon before so frankly, it didn’t occur to me to even look there. Interesting that they have it in stock while every store on the web and locally has been out of stock for months and none have any idea when they’re getting them. In any case, I just placed the order and got a confirmation, so hopefully I’ll get a shipping notice tomorrow. Sucks I couldn’t order from B&H using my Payboo card and save the sales tax, but I’m willing to pay the $50 to not have to wait months on end with no idea when I would get it.

And yes, I did check to see if I could also order the 800 PF which I’ve had on backorder with B&H for months, but there’s no “Buy Now” button on that product page. 😉

Yes, Ben. Both 2.8f tele lenses are a bit beyond my current hobby budget and in any case the 400mm 2.8f has "no buy" button at the moment so I check the Nikon site regularly for when the 800mm lens orders open up again.

I preordered the 800 PF because I like to shoot warblers during the spring migration here in Texas and elsewhere, so that extreme reach will come in handy and even moreso when shooting in DX mode, which I do often because I can’t imagine enlarging a warbler shot so big that 20 MP would not be enough. But an 800 prime also means there will be many times when the birds are too close. That new Z 600 f4 with the built in TC would be a much better solution for me. I keep thinking “yeah I should just go with that!” and then remember that there’s about a $7,000 premium and absolutely no way I can justify it. 🥺

Also, size of all of these long lenses is an issue when traveling with family as opposed to a dedicated photo trip. I’m hoping that the 100-400 with the 1.4x TC giving me 560 mm, or 840 mm in DX mode if I have my math right, will be a workable, if rather slow, solution for a kit that I can bring along when I can’t bring along a truly big lens.

I preordered the 800 PF because I like to shoot warblers during the spring migration here in Texas and elsewhere, so that extreme reach will come in handy and even moreso when shooting in DX mode, which I do often because I can’t imagine enlarging a warbler shot so big that 20 MP would not be enough. But an 800 prime also means there will be many times when the birds are too close. That new Z 600 f4 with the built in TC would be a much better solution for me. I keep thinking “yeah I should just go with that!” and then remember that there’s about a $7,000 premium and absolutely no way I can justify it. 🥺

Also, size of all of these long lenses is an issue when traveling with family as opposed to a dedicated photo trip. I’m hoping that the 100-400 with the 1.4x TC giving me 560 mm, or 840 mm in DX mode if I have my math right, will be a workable, if rather slow, solution for a kit that I can bring along when I can’t bring along a truly big lens.
My thinking has been similar to yours. I have the 400mm with both TCs and therefore could get out to 800mm. And then I bought the 800mm f6.3 PF which has been a wonderful lens - easy to carry around. Hand holdable. But to add a little more quality, especially in the 600mm range, I also bought the 400mm f4.5 which can be taken to 560mm with the 1.4X TX and to 800mm with the 2X TX - with better quality and faster f stop than the 100-400.
So my plan when shooting birds was to have one Z9 with the 800mm and my other Z9 with the 400mm f4.5 + 1.4X TC to get me into the near 600mm range. And when shooting mammals or large birds flying close like the Eagles in Alaska, when 400mm is too much lens, then I have the 100-400mm.
I wasn't sure how long I would have to wait for the 600mm f4 to come out or if I would get it. But after seeing the specs on the lens and watching Steve's video, I decided I had to have the lens - I have ordered it and when it comes I'll sell by 800mm PF. But for those who aren't will to pay the exhorbitant price of the new 600mm or find it too heavy to carry around, I think the best solution is the 100-400 + the 400 f4.5 and perhaps also the 800mm PF.

Two Z9s with that selection of lenses is quite a combo Ivan. That's a lot to haul around though. I admit to loving my 150-600 for just that reason - it's very portable and hand holdable and provides amazing flexibility. For me that outweighs the compromises in ultimate image quality compared with a fast prime when I'm hiking or on a bird walk and will be encountering a variety of subjects and focal distances. I find primes too limiting in those situations. But when setting up in a blind or at a feeder and you know what to expect, I definitely covet a fast prime. That's why the 600 f4 with the built in TC is so tempting, but I just don't see how I can justify it as a non-pro. I'm even feeling guilty about ordering the 800 but I figure I don't have to come to terms with my excess until I actually get that shipping notice. I'd offer to buy yours used, but I assume my 800 will come in long before your 600!

Two Z9s with that selection of lenses is quite a combo Ivan. That's a lot to haul around though. I admit to loving my 150-600 for just that reason - it's very portable and hand holdable and provides amazing flexibility. For me that outweighs the compromises in ultimate image quality compared with a fast prime when I'm hiking or on a bird walk and will be encountering a variety of subjects and focal distances. I find primes too limiting in those situations. But when setting up in a blind or at a feeder and you know what to expect, I definitely covet a fast prime. That's why the 600 f4 with the built in TC is so tempting, but I just don't see how I can justify it as a non-pro. I'm even feeling guilty about ordering the 800 but I figure I don't have to come to terms with my excess until I actually get that shipping notice. I'd offer to buy yours used, but I assume my 800 will come in long before your 600!
Actually my 600 will probably be coming pretty soon as I requested it from NPS as soon as it was announced by Nikon.
I have struggled in the past with carrying a lot of equipment, especially if a lot of hiking was involved. Easier if I was shooting birds from a blind or shooting in Africa from a safari vehicle. But the new 600mm f4 is lighter than my older 600 f4.
When I was using DSLRs, I did often use my Tamron 150-600 and left the 600 f4 at home.
I try to limit the load. My basic kit will be 2 camera bodies, a 24-120, 100-400 and the 600 f4. If I'm doing serious hiking, then I can limit myself to just the 100-400 with teleconverters. Or the 100-400 on one camera and the 400 f4.5 with 1.4X TC on the other camera.
But I have to admit that the 800mm f6.3 does make it easier to get around. I was in Costa Rica with Steve last July and a long lens was definitely needed. I basically used the combination of the 100-400 on one body and the 800mm on the other body and that served me very well. And while I often used a monopod or sometimes a tripod with the 800, it was also a very hand holdable lens. I'll have to see whether the 600mm will be hand holdable for me. I never had an easy time trying to hold the old 600mm f4. The new 600 is more than a pound lighter and also reported to be better balanced for hand holding, but it still is a heavy lens.

Lots of options, but each involving tradeoffs that make it difficult to decide. As a non-pro a $15,000 lens just isn’t something I can justify, but if I swallow hard and keep secrets from my wife I can talk myself into $6,000 for the $800 and couple that with the 100-400 plus the 1.4x TC. Still leaves a gap from 540-800, and I have only one Z body I would use for these as my Z7 (I not II) really just doesn’t handle action very well and is mostly for landscapes.

I know Nikon has a 200-600 in its lens roadmap, and while it’s probably not an S lens I’m still very interested in that. It’s essentially the same focal range as my 150-600 which I have found to be so versatile. If Nikon makes it compatible with the TC then it could obviate my need for the 800 and the 100-400, which I might replace with the 70-200 for the extra speed that f2.8 lens provides. But I have no idea when they’re going to announce that lens, when they’re going to release it, and when I might be able to get my hands on it. The rate things are going though I feel like it could be a good two years from now. Anyone have any idea?

@Ben C it's a total guess, but i think we'll see the 200-600 soonISH. yes, it will NOT be an s-line. most guesses is it'll look similar to the sony 200-600 in terms of performance and price, probably a bit more of both. i haven't heard any speculation if it will take a TC. i wouldn't count on that part.

I have the tc2.0 Eiii and both z 1.4 and 2.0. Is very hard still for me to objectively say how good one is over the other as we can only use it on different gears.

Here are some shots with the z tc2.0 on 800pf at iso 25600 for your reference. Result may still vary with different lenses to my point above.

314EEAEA-0ED0-4412-AFDC-9984FC510100.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

D5D54E2C-02FC-4C70-A8E4-7131C0A80A24.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

@Ben C it's a total guess, but i think we'll see the 200-600 soonISH. yes, it will NOT be an s-line. most guesses is it'll look similar to the sony 200-600 in terms of performance and price, probably a bit more of both. i haven't heard any speculation if it will take a TC. i wouldn't count on that part.

every indication is that the 200-600 will not be an "S" lens. If it were, it would be listed that way on the road map. ? on working with a Z TC. I think that Nikon "knows" that they need to match or beat the Sony 200-600 so this may lead to the Nikon 200-600 to accepting a TC.

every indication is that the 200-600 will not be an "S" lens. If it were, it would be listed that way on the road map. ? on working with a Z TC. I think that Nikon "knows" that they need to match or beat the Sony 200-600 so this may lead to the Nikon 200-600 to accepting a TC.
I agree, that makes a lot of sense.

I can’t imagine the 200-600 not accepting the TCs. Every single “long” Z lens at 200mm or longer (except the 24-200) takes a TC. 70-200. 100-400. 400 f4.5. 400 f2.8. 800mm

IME, the ZTC14 is a reliable pairing with the 800 PF (based on many images taken since early May) and also with the 400 f4.5S (admittedly not as much testing yet). I have used the ZTC2 far less, and mainly in emergencies/rare opportunities with the 800 PF

Bear in mind the operational rules with all the TCs: 1. Minumium better no cropping, 2. Optimal exposures, 3. Last but not least, the combos work well within realistic distances. In my tests of 400 f2.8E FL with TC2 III up to ~30-40m maximum, obviously atmosphere permitting and the relative size of the subject.

Oh, and the empirical data confirm TC2 III exacts a higher penalty on image quality compared to TC14 (Testing by Nasim Mansurov, PL) Also note the v III model of TC14 is indicated for use with E aperture F-Nikkors.

Widespread reports confirm F-Mount TC performance is much improved on a Z camera (with FTZ obviously) - thanks to on-sensor AF for precision at across all focusing distances; besides avoiding the well known challenges of AFFT on DSLRs, which is effectively possible at 1 focal length for a zoom telephoto (but 4 choices in the D6).

It's widely documented that the performance with respective lenses of the TC14 II/III and TC2 III is fickle, and the older TC17 II more so. (the TC800-1-25E-ED can only be used on the 800 f5.6E FL, with which it's sold in a bespoke pairing).

The really critical factor is the choice of telephoto; it seems only a minority of F-Nikkors are surprisingly good with a TC, TC14 particularly, eg 400 f2.8E and the related exotic primes. The sui generis of the 400 f2.8E FL is excellent performance with all 3 TCs, especially TC14 III (in fact the Nikon designers paired these 2 optics, as 300 f2.8G VR II was paired with TC2 III). For 4 years, this superb prime of the f2.8E was my core wildlife lens into this year, and it delivered many keepers including as a 800 f5.6 :) This was until I was very fortunate to be able to add the 800 primes and a 180-400 f4E TC14).

To add - three other F Nikkor primes known to pair well with TCs are the 300 f2.8G, 200f2G, and 300 f4E PF, and the 500 PF twins well with TC14 III, particularly on Z cameras. It appears the Z telephotos still need more time in the wild with the ZTCs, although the general rule is already clear that the IQ of the ZTC14 beats the ZTC2.

Here's a smorgasbord of bookmarked links on TCs (!) :

Last edited:
I ordered the Z1.4TC in early June and just got it last Friday. When I first tried it with my 70-200/2.5 on my Z9 it did not work but when I updated the firmware on both it was fine.

Back