Z100-400 with 1.4 Tele Converter Some Think It Is Soft

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Ken Miracle

Supporting Member
Marketplace
In another thread related to the Z400 f/4.5 where it was compared to the Z100-400 the Z100-400 was considered to be "soft" by some.

Just a couple of samples of Z100-400 with 1.4TC Rooster on Z6II.

Dove a quick test shot with the Z9 just after I got it.

They seem sharp enough to me even after being downsized for posting on the forum.

Z62_1580-2.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
Z91_3150.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

I sold my TC as it added to much rotation to the overall mount and when used on a monopod was very distracting. In the time I had it, I felt that under the right conditions is was wonderful, but as light diminished it made keepers a bit more difficult. Had mine not had the rotational issues, I would have kept it though as you certainly can get sharp shots.

I sold my TC as it added to much rotation to the overall mount and when used on a monopod was very distracting. In the time I had it, I felt that under the right conditions is was wonderful, but as light diminished it made keepers a bit more difficult. Had mine not had the rotational issues, I would have kept it though as you certainly can get sharp shots.
Not sure what rotation you are refering to? Is it related to mounting to a tripod or monopod? I shoot hand held 99% of the time and never have tested this combo it on a tripod.

I use my Z800pf most of the time on the z9 so have not used the TC1.4 on the Z100-400 since this test.

If I use the Z100-400 anymore it is without the 1.4 TC since I am usually not wanting anything over 400 with it.

@Ken Miracle - both handheld and monopod. It was a personal decision and I am sure Nikon would have said it was fine.

ZTC rotation video

See my YT video on what I was experiencing. I can’t say for sure it had any impact on images, but it was so distracting I didn’t feel it provided enough benefit. I should have considered a long lens rail and that would have solved the problem but I didn’t think of that until others posted with a similar issue and it was already sold.

There’s bound to be a little movement with any instrument that connects this way. My lenses, such as the z105mm … in fact I just tried them all….shows very little movement at all, including the z 2x TC. Perhaps your mount is at fault….take it to Nikon. Any movement should be minor and certainly not affect your images.

@Ken Miracle - both handheld and monopod. It was a personal decision and I am sure Nikon would have said it was fine.

ZTC rotation video

See my YT video on what I was experiencing. I can’t say for sure it had any impact on images, but it was so distracting I didn’t feel it provided enough benefit. I should have considered a long lens rail and that would have solved the problem but I didn’t think of that until others posted with a similar issue and it was already sold.
Only time I have encountered much movement at all that I even noticed was in the DLSR days and only once was there a problem and that was because my D6 lens mount was damaged in an accident and had to be replaced.

I have done shots of surfaces where it was obvious that the 400mm f/4.5 was sharper than the 100-400mm at 400mm focal length. If I was photographing people it would be of no consequence. The 100-400mm is sharper than the 80-400mm lens that it replaced.

Sharpness in an image depends on the subject and the intended use of the image. A web image viewed at 72ppi does not need to be as sharp as one used for images that will be used for a small to medium size wall print or for an album. An image printed on a canvas like material or actual canvas does not need to be as sharp as one printed on Endura Metalic paper. A pano needs sharper images than the same scene photographed with a wide angle lens with its prespective distortion.

For my own use the 100-400mm along with the 400mm f/4.5 with the 1.4x TC attached provides me with 100mm to 400mm at f/5.6 and a 560mm f/6.3 lens and both are important to have. I always have had the 500mm PF along with the 80-400mm in my backpack over the years. I like shooting with two bodies and minimizing lens changes outdoors and especially when shooting from a vehicle or a boat.

Back