Z6iii-Charger NOT included

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I would like to know what Nikon battery charger(s) will charge the battery for the Z6iii camera. B&H photo shows more than one under "Accessories" for the Z6iii. And its product page clearly states that a battery charger in NOT included in the box.

B&H provided the answer to your question.
…MH-25 and MH-25a chargers, or, when used with Z cameras, it can be charged in-camera using the EH-7P Charging AC Adapter or EH-8P AC Adapter."

B&H provided the answer to your question.

Or you plug in your USB laptop sharger. Or a fast phone charger, both work just fine on my Z6. A car phone charger doesn't work so, at the one I tried. It does charge said 15 buck two battery charger off Amazon. Not sure I'd willingly pay 50+ bucks, at least to have Nikon pack yet another one together with the camera body.

The EN EL 15c is also used by the Z8. I use a Nikon MH-34 to charge the 15cs for my Z8. It connects with a USB-C cable to either a wall charger (I have several) or a power block. The latter is nice when away from electrical outlets. The MH 25 or 25a chargers also work with the 15cs, but not with USB-C; you need a wall outlet.

Good to test combinations of battery, charger/powerblock and cables. I found some combinations that did not work with my EN EL 18ds ( for the Z9). Did not have any issues with the 15cs, but always good to test.

Or you plug in your USB laptop sharger. Or a fast phone charger, both work just fine on my Z6. A car phone charger doesn't work so, at the one I tried. It does charge said 15 buck two battery charger off Amazon. Not sure I'd willingly pay 50+ bucks, at least to have Nikon pack yet another one together with the camera body.
Any charger that meets USB-C/PD specifications should work. Most car chargers don't.

Thom Hogan wrote about the amazing proliferation of USB-C cable flavors, many of which do not support specific devices or functionality as technology advances and power/data capabilities of USB-C cables advances. We get either no or minimal/ambiguous labels on the cables to make sense of what is what. This is simplifying our lives?

Hogan article on USB-C madness
I've given up on trying to buy cables that provide both high data rates and PD capability. I've settled on carrying one of each. I know which is which by using longer ones for PD and really short ones for data.

But are all USB-C cables 'created equal'?
  • Physically the same? I think 'yes'.
  • Electronically/digitally the same? Not so sure.
There appear to be huge differences in price.
I trust OWC (MacSales) for cables. I think for power most will work well, for high speed data the cable quality will matter

Doesn't any charger for the EN-EL15 work with the Z6 III battery? I mean, they have been around since 2014...

Other than that, I carry an Anker PowerCore 10000 mAh 30W battery with a 90 degree USB-C cable and I use it to power my camera in the field when I am static or my mobile phone if it gets depleted...

Doesn't any charger for the EN-EL15 work with the Z6 III battery? I mean, they have been around since 2014...

Other than that, I carry an Anker PowerCore 10000 mAh 30W battery with a 90 degree USB-C cable and I use it to power my camera in the field when I am static or my mobile phone if it gets depleted...
According to Nikon you need either the MH25a or the MH34. The older MH25 supposedly doesn't work. I don't have any of the older ones any more. It is nice to have multiple chargers. At least two. I have a charging station at home for all of the various rechargeable electronics(not power tools). It's nice to just leave a charger there full time and take one with me when traveling with camera.

I owned a Sony A7IV for a while (to use with 200-600) and was shocked to learn that Sony bodies do not include a battery charger. It was unthinkable to me. And now Nikon is following suit? Ridiculous.

I also wonder (I mean truly I do not know, I just wonder) if charging in camera provides additional wear on the camera body and potentially shortens its life span in the long term?

I owned a Sony A7IV for a while (to use with 200-600) and was shocked to learn that Sony bodies do not include a battery charger. It was unthinkable to me. And now Nikon is following suit? Ridiculous.

I also wonder (I mean truly I do not know, I just wonder) if charging in camera provides additional wear on the camera body and potentially shortens its life span in the long term?
My Sony bodies include a battery charger. Not that I've ever taken it out of the box. I looked it up and the A7IV doesn't but the A7RIV, RV, A1, A9II/III, A7SIII all come with the charger. I guess at the lowest price point A7IV they cut costs just like Nikon is doing with similar priced Z6III.

I charge my batteries direct through USB-C into a wall charger I have to charge my miriade of other USB-C devices. I can't wait to finally update the iPhone in September and get my last device onto USB-C (I have 14ProMax and only update every 2 years so didn't get the 15 which has USB-C).
If not direct then I have a 3 bay charger for Sony batteries I got with 3 spare batteries (all non-OEM) on Amazon so no issues charging.

At least Nikon includes the UC-E25 cable with the Z6iii. That cable wasn't included with the Z8 or 9, requiring a $35 purchase or trusting your luck with a non-Nikon substitute. Since the camera is PD compatible, use of an available PD charging block and that cable will work. I often use an Anker battery pack capable of charging a 2020 MacBook Air with an M1 processor to charge Z8 & 9 batteries in camera.

The last thing I need in ANOTHER Nikon EN EL15 charger, so that's not a big deal to me. But, if I was buying into the system for the first time, it would bug me a bit.

My last Apple iPhone didn't come with a charger, either. I just think that's the future. If it keeps down the number of unneeded duplicate cables and chargers, I see that as a good thing. :)

When you're charging $60+ batteries with a Nikon charger you know it's approved.
When you're buying a $13 charger off an online retailer it could be an expensive lesson, not only in killing the battery, but fire, etc.
Agreed, so buy a Nikon charger. :) They charge more, but it's worth it.

the-best-usb-c-cables-for-charging-and-transferring-data.html

Fuji are doing it too. They all will sooner or later. Depending on how many times you charge it, there is wear 'n tear on the socket, chance of damaging socket (minimal with USB-C) or someone tripping over the cable if it is not out of the way and damaging the socket or camera.

I guess we all charge our phones/laptops/rechargable devices like lights, torches and portable speakers by plugging them in and leaving them overnight sometimes, so should we be concerned about cameras? Probably not, but I do prefer a charger.

These new generation Nikon USB C battery chargers are an excellent and long overdue advance.

I only charge batteries via USB C PD cables, either off 12v car power, a power pack or AC USB C charger.... With either the OEM Nikon PD cables or Anker, which all stand up to regular use.

Back