Z6iii-Charger NOT included

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Nikon doesn't give any specifications on their EH-8P wall charger for the MH-34 (power output).
So what are the minimum and maximum power of chargers that you can use to charge batteries with 3rd party adaptors?
Is the $15 adaptor going to control the flow of electrons to the battery? Or does the charger (a PD charger) do that? Or does the battery control that?
Can you destroy the battery by using too large/too small a power supply?
Some words of wisdom would be appreciated.

Nikon doesn't give any specifications on their EH-8P wall charger for the MH-34 (power output).
So what are the minimum and maximum power of chargers that you can use to charge batteries with 3rd party adaptors?
Is the $15 adaptor going to control the flow of electrons to the battery? Or does the charger (a PD charger) do that? Or does the battery control that?
Can you destroy the battery by using too large/too small a power supply?
Some words of wisdom would be appreciated.
The power is regulated by the Charger Built Into The Camera.

IMG_1889.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

I travel with a USB adaptor from Samsung that has over 1x USB-A (15W) and 2x USB-C (1x 25W & 1x 65W) outputs 65W to share. In the pouch with the adaptor is an MH-34 charger and a few long USB cables. All my electronic devices I travel with are now on USB-C:
- Nikon MH-33 & MH-34 charger
- Charger for Li-Ion batteries
- Flashlight
- Headphone

That works beautiful for me and can only welcome the EU directive on a common type USB and not have a cheap adapter with each device you purchase.

I was thinking of using my powerbank to use/charge the camera when battery gets too low. It's portable and I get at least four charges out of it.
It has saved me when riding my pushbike while using my phone as a GPS or when I need to charge up my laptop
when no power source is available.

I recommend buying a charger from BH Photo Video as there have been problems with third party chargers over the years. When this has happened BH stopped selling the item and switched to a different brand to avoid the headache of returns.

Ya disappointing, for this price point. You'd think it would be worth avoiding negative comments on social sites to just include one, but perhaps not. Even my Zf didn't come with a charger. Other brands doing this also, it's a very odd way to keep production costs down IMO. But maybe it's the new normal for some models I guess.

So the charger is $50 new, pretty easy to find used (probably not for long), and lots of inexpensive 3rd-party options out there. Although personally I won't touch 3rd-party batteries - I think chargers might be a little safer.

I might have to try that new Nikon charger at some point, but the price and capabilities have kept me from being in any particular hurry.

Truth be told, I have been disappointed by every charger I've used for EN-EL15 batteries so far. I do not understand why they all seem to be of such low quality. The Nikon ones work, sure, but they're extremely barebones, and even the MH25a feels like a toy. The Nitecore UNK2 is kind of neat, but the batteries are not held in very securely, and it's USB-A in an increasingly USB-C world. I have a few other white label/no-name chargers that plug directly into a socket, and the batteries don't stay in them very well unless you plug it in upside down. And both the Nikon and the no-name chargers have no readout showing charge progress, only a single LED for "Charging" and "Done".

The nicest device-specific battery charger I've ever seen is the Two-Way Charging Hub for my small DJI drone. It holds three batteries, and they lock in firmly allowing the hub to double as the transport cast for your batteries. It has 4 LEDs per battery, which allows it to tell you the approximate charge of each battery with a tap of the power button, as well as continuously displaying the battery level of the currently-charging battery while it's plugged in. When charging, the hub charges the most charged battery first, so that you have at least one full battery as soon as possible. The hub also functions as a power bank, drawing from the drone batteries (lowest one first) to charge your phone or other devices. (This last feature is admittedly kind of pointless as the drone is generally the most likely thing I need to charge in the field to begin with, as it eats through batteries like crazy, but it's cool to have the option nonetheless).

It's such a functional design; Why can't we have something like this for the EN-EL15c? I would absolutely adore a solid multi-battery charger that can double as the transport container. It's perfect both as a storage place for the batteries at home as well as being great for travel because you can top off multiple batteries at once, which would alleviate the repeated question in this thread about charging backup batteries. I'd probably pay $100 for a charger like this without even blinking if someone made it.

1719268546312.png

Last edited:
Back