z6iii rumor

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

my primary prediction here is that it will basically be a zf in a z6ii body, but with a sensor that has a faster readout and keep the flippy screen style of the zf

Thom Hogan recently said in a post discussing the camera market next year that he expects Nikon to have at least 3 new cameras next year. I’d certainly expect an update of the Z6II to be one of them. And the Zf certainly gives some ideas of what might be included.

i'll also place bets on a z50 replacement or something like that. now that we know that nikon is willing to pair the expeed 7 with traditional sensors, it might be super interesting if they stuffed a expeed 7 in a little dx body

and there's the rumored z9s (my designation) which personally i think makes sense. i could see a beefed up expeed (8?) with cfe-b v4 capabilities enabling higher framerates for all operations.

From those rumored specs, it sounds more like a Z5ii to me. I was hoping to see around 33megapixels in the Z6iii to better differentiate it from the Z5 and Z8. This would leave room for the Z7iii to be the high megapixel stills camera for landscape shooters.

i think there's going to be a lot of incentive for them to pick up cfe-b v4 support. the rumored "high speed" camera seems likely. the big question is, if that is true, can the expeed 7 support this or do they need to bump to an 8
to my (limited) understanding, the difference would be hardware not in the expeed chip, and obviously the cards. Should be a flip in the software to dump data off the buffer faster. But I could be wrong. They also could have it (hardware support) in the z8/9 now, but I don't think that's likely. If they did, I'd be thrilled. Instant larger effective buffer and precapture, etc.

to my (limited) understanding, the difference would be hardware not in the expeed chip, and obviously the cards. Should be a flip in the software to dump data off the buffer faster. But I could be wrong. They also could have it (hardware support) in the z8/9 now, but I don't think that's likely. If they did, I'd be thrilled. Instant larger effective buffer and precapture, etc.
it's certainly possible. it depends on how much they integrate into the expeed and how much is off-board. that said, it seems likely the expeed 7 will become a bottleneck for cfe-b v4 speeds, so it still may need to be faster

yah, i'd love to find out they already have the hw to support cfe-b v4 in the z8/z9, but i think it's very unlikely

i wouldn’t get your hopes up too high. a z6ii successor is probably still going to be small, even if somewhat larger. i’m guessing a z6iii will basically be an iterative evolution of the z6ii frame, maybe a bit bigger to better accommodate the new gen expeed, future sensors, maybe a second cfe slot, the new flippy screen, and maybe revisions in button layout

there’s also some healthy confusion in this rumor as i don’t think it has anything to do with the “high speed camera” previous rumored, which is probably at least in a z8 frame… ie… larger

man, these rumors don’t make any sense at all. i really think we have rumors from two different cameras being mixed together

man, these rumors don’t make any sense at all. i really think we have rumors from two different cameras being mixed together

I don't see a mention of sensor size. Assuming it's a FF?

I am waiting for a z7iii. It would be nice to have a second body around the size and weight of the z7ii but with z9 focus system. Who knows maybe even with an even higher megapixel count?

I

Other than cost - why would someone want this over a Z8?
Curious?
Lower res sensor is better in low light. Smaller image files require less storage, smaller memory cards, faster editing. There are advantages to a mechanical shutter in some situations. All that is why I bought the Zf. If the price is fair on a Z6 replacement I might ditch the Zf and grab one. I'd prefer the modern ergonomics over the Zf. I have a couple of Z9s. The Zf is a nice compliment to the Z9 capabilities.

I am personally more interested in higher resolution cameras. The Z7ii was my first step into the mirrorless world and I was attracted initially because it was lighter than the D800 series and yet had the full FX sensor.

I also love the max form factor and capability of the Z9. I just want a super compact and light option as backup. The Z8 feels to me like another D800 series camera in terms of weight. I want something that can be used as a second body chasing wildlife handheld while the big beast is riding the tripod.

The one problem with the Z7ii is that it does not have the Z9 autofocus system.

Your point is well-taken, though. I should probably open my horizons.

Twin expeed processors COULD mean that image processing is split between them and each one handles every other frame. At half the resolution of a Z8/Z9 I would expect it to nearly quadruple the frame rate. I suspect this may be capable of 120fps Raw. Also Id bet its gen 4.0 PCIE. We are getting gen 4 cards now so a gen 4 camera is very close to being released.

Another possibility is that the 2nd processor will allow dual writing for video.

OR the second expeed is there to only handle AF and viewfinder duties and will provide a minor bump in performance.

I am looking forward to the proposed "Z6III" more than any other Nikon camera rumor. Shooting a high percentage of my sports images in the ISO 6400 range and up, I would like to see a camera with excellent high ISO performance, high FPS, and a deep buffer.

Lower res sensor is better in low light. Smaller image files require less storage, smaller memory cards, faster editing. There are advantages to a mechanical shutter in some situations. All that is why I bought the Zf. If the price is fair on a Z6 replacement I might ditch the Zf and grab one. I'd prefer the modern ergonomics over the Zf. I have a couple of Z9s. The Zf is a nice compliment to the Z9 capabilities.
Identical set of cameras here, and same thoughts re the Z6iii v Zf. I like my Zf very much, but very much miss a battery grip.

Back