Z8 Aftermarket Battery

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

gnpToday

Greg Speasl, West Glacier, MT
Supporting Member
Marketplace
Has anyone tried or can recommend an aftermarket battery for the Z8. My wife just received hers today and we are weighing options after finding out the original en-el15 does not work in the Z8. All opinions are welcome, especially if you think it would be a mistake!

Just buy a couple of the newest 18s, and it'll make your life easier, and they'll last longer. You spent 4k on the camera, spend the right amount on batteries (that are guaranteed to work).
The only one on B&H I see is the

Nikon EN-EL15c Rechargeable Lithium-Ion Battery​

Has anyone tried or can recommend an aftermarket battery for the Z8. My wife just received hers today and we are weighing options after finding out the original en-el15 does not work in the Z8. All opinions are welcome, especially if you think it would be a mistake!
Have you tried the original battery? I tested an EN-EL15 Li-ion20 from around 2015 that worked fine. I don't know about the earlier EN-EL15 batteries marked Li-ion01.

I would stick with the genuine Nikon batteries. There are some third party batteries that work, but many have had problems working at all. In addition, the lifetime of the third party batteries is unknown while genuine batteries have held up nicely. Unless you have a really good reason to buy a lot of batteries and take the risk, I'd stick with the original Nikon batteries.

When I bought the Canon R7 the info was that it required genuine Canon battery to work. The Canon 5Ds batteries were a different 'number'. I phoned a supplier of third party batteries in Sydney and they provided batteries [ betterbat ]. https://www.betterbatt.com.au/
I now use Canon LP-E6NH and SKU: BBCB-52 and mix and match no problem. Also bought a 5Ds battery grip off them.
{ bit of trivia: In the late 60's when I messed around with cars Lucas electrical parts cost considerably more than Acme Dodgy Bits. The only difference was the box. Same manufacturer etc. etc. }
Another case of Emperor's clothes??

Bit more trivia: When I lived in Yancheng Jiangsu Province I got some info on the leather industry. Seems If you make the uppers and soles of shoes in China but they get put together in Italy you can legally stamp on the sole of the shoe 'Made in Italy'. Clever eh.

Last edited:
When I bought the Canon R7 the info was that it required genuine Canon battery to work. The Canon 5Ds batteries were a different 'number'. I phoned a supplier of third party batteries in Sydney and they provided batteries [ betterbat ]. https://www.betterbatt.com.au/
I now use Canon LP-E6NH and SKU: BBCB-52 and mix and match no problem. Also bought a 5Ds battery grip off them.
{ bit of trivia: In the late 60's when I messed around with cars Lucas electrical parts cost considerably more than Acme Dodgy Bits. The only difference was the box. Same manufacturer etc. etc. }

if you dig into this thread (nikon specific) and read between the lines you'll probably come to the conclusion that:

1) there are a lot of details about the implementation of the battery that the camera has good reason to care about
2) not all 3rd party batteries implement these things

so, sure, some batteries may be just as good, but, at least in the case of recent nikon batteries:
a) it seems likely there are valid reasons for the camera to reject some 3rd party batteries
b) if the camera did a good enough job replicating the oem battery, it might not be rejected
c) the juice probably isn't worth the squeeze

Years ago I heard from a reliable source that Nikon L-ion batteries have internal circuit breakers that will trip if too much current is drawn (before the fire starts!) The cheaper batteries lack this (thus cheaper) so you can apply your savings to re-building your burned down home! For those that haven't figured it out, that's an exaggeration; not likely to happen but whay take the chance (along with the other reasons to stick with the OEM batteries.

if you dig into this thread (nikon specific) and read between the lines you'll probably come to the conclusion that:

1) there are a lot of details about the implementation of the battery that the camera has good reason to care about

so, sure, some batteries may be just as good, but, at least in the case of recent nikon batteries:
a) it seems likely there are valid reasons for the camera to reject some 3rd party batteries
b) if the camera did a good enough job replicating the oem battery, it might not be rejected
Whatever lets you sleep easy at night John. I am too dumb to worry about it.

Years ago I heard from a reliable source that Nikon L-ion batteries have internal circuit breakers that will trip if too much current is drawn (before the fire starts!) The cheaper batteries lack this (thus cheaper) so you can apply your savings to re-building your burned down home! For those that haven't figured it out, that's an exaggeration; not likely to happen but whay take the chance (along with the other reasons to stick with the OEM batteries.
Ya got me there Warren. I'll use the money I saved buying DodgeeBatteries to invest in a fire engine.

"
  • Using a genuine Canon Battery Pack LP-E6NH/LP-E6N is recommended. If you use batteries that are not genuine Canon products, the camera's full performance may not be attained or malfunction may result."
I like to live on the edge, take risks.
Ted's Cameras Canon battery Aus $179.95
Better Batt Aus $32.99

Bit more trivia: When I lived in Yancheng Jiangsu Province I got some info on the leather industry. Seems If you make the uppers and soles of shoes in China but they get put together in Italy you can legally stamp on the sole of the shoe 'Made in Italy'. Clever eh.

Sometimes, truth is a bitter pill to swallow.

😝

Oliver

100%. Not only the relative complexity/fragility of the circuitry, but also the heat aspect. Batteries generate and absorb heat and some swell, and heat management is one of the main obstacles the companies face with these high performance bodies.

Going off on a tangent, Jimi Hendrix was the greatest guitarist in the last 50 years, IMHO; when you pair a camera with a Hendrix strap, it adds richer grey tones to the photos.

Oliver
Now then Oliver, steady on. Hendrix was ok, however if you look closely at this photo you will see that Clapton is employing a Rock n Roll croc skin ultra decibel acoustic strap.

I still have flu so have a lot of time on my hands. This chit chat got me thinking. [ dangerous thing to do ] Anyway I just had a chat with the guy at Camera House in town about power banks. He had non in stock but put me onto Office works. It seems the power bank can not run the camera directly, but needing the camera to have a battery in it. That being a given it is possible to connect the camera with battery to the power bank and get lots of shots from a single battery.
It seems a Canon LP-E6NH Lithium-Ion battery has 2130 mAH. I can buy a Keiji 15000 mAH power bank for Aus $39 from Office Works.
I'm not up to speed on all this tech stuff but it seems to me I can put the power bank in my top pocket, connect it to the camera [ with a battery in it ] using a flexi usb cable, and I've got a lot of shots.
Does any of this make sense?

there can be other options as well. i can charge a spare via a power bank as an example
IMG_7854.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

I still have flu so have a lot of time on my hands. This chit chat got me thinking. [ dangerous thing to do ] Anyway I just had a chat with the guy at Camera House in town about power banks. He had non in stock but put me onto Office works. It seems the power bank can not run the camera directly, but needing the camera to have a battery in it. That being a given it is possible to connect the camera with battery to the power bank and get lots of shots from a single battery.
It seems a Canon LP-E6NH Lithium-Ion battery has 2130 mAH. I can buy a Keiji 15000 mAH power bank for Aus $39 from Office Works.
I'm not up to speed on all this tech stuff but it seems to me I can put the power bank in my top pocket, connect it to the camera [ with a battery in it ] using a flexi usb cable, and I've got a lot of shots.
Does any of this make sense?
You can also connect it via a dummy battery which dangles the cord from a slot on the battery door if you're using the USB for something else like tether.

Just had a chat with Canon Australia. They do not recommend connecting the power bank to the camera with battery. What I can do is carry a couple of extra batteries and charge them with the power bank as needed. Live and learn eh

Back