Z8 Aftermarket Battery

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I have 2 spare 15 B - official import bought new for £35 each.

They work fine as back-up in the Z8 apart from about 15% fewer shots than the 15 C.

Many like me will have tried aftermarket over the years. My aftermarket did not last long.

I like this small battery charger for the EN-EL18d. The charger for the EN-EL18 (for my D850 grip) is sooo bulky and needs so many space in my photo backpack 😬.
But unfortunately is this charger not suitable for the previous EN-EL18…..
I charge both the b and c versions of the ENEL18 (as well as ENEL18d) in the MH33 off a powerblock. Hopefully Nikon will release a similar USB PD charger for the ENEL15c, which is so more compact and versatile.

My experience was positive for approx 1 year with 3rd batteries (also a Wasabi charger) then problems.... Never again. Only buy OEM

I have been using my old EN-EL15’s from my D810’s and D850 in my Z8 when I don’t have a “c” version charged. Seems to work fine, but might drain faster.

Heard that the Z 8 can recognize genuine Nikon EN-EL15 batteries and will not work w/ third party batteries. Since I only have Nikon batteries, I can not confirm this. But after spending $4,000 on a camera to me it does not seem worth the risk (worth the savings) to save $25 on a third party battery.

Last edited:
In the past when I bought third party batteries I alway bought them from B&H. I noticed that this company would periodically drop a brand and replace it with another one. I figured that they had too many returns and dumped the first supplier. Getting batteries from a seller on Amazon or ebay is very risky and having a battery explode as happened with counterfeit Canon video batteries or catch fire is something to avoid at all costs.

Has anyone tried or can recommend an aftermarket battery for the Z8. My wife just received hers today and we are weighing options after finding out the original en-el15 does not work in the Z8. All opinions are welcome, especially if you think it would be a mistake!
If it is the original battery that came with the Z-8, contact Nikon for a free replacement. I have that battery in my D-850's & D-500s. I spent almost 6 months reviewing & testing third party batteries. The only one I ever found did what it advertised (extended battery life) was a battery made by a company called Hahnel made in Ireland. They are now offering batteries for Canon as well. The only dealer is B&H here in the states. Nikon has a new Rev on their battery that matches the mAh of the Hahnel, so I would stick with a Nikon. Overheating in the Z 8...Steve had an outstanding article on the heating & review on the CFExpress cards most susceptible

Are we discussing old EN-EL15 battery intended to be used as back-up?

A Z8 comes with an EL-15C battery

The original EN-EL 15 has a not been made for many years.

I understand the original EN-EL 15 does not work in a Z8.

The Z8 User Manual (UK version page 27) says the EN-EL-15a can be used in a Z8 - but can only be charged in an old type MH-25a charger.

The charger supply with the Z8 charges both the older 15b and the current 15-c battery version.

I use 15b as back up in my Z8 - and get about 15% fewer shots per charge than with the supplied 15c.

As @RichF says, Nikon is not allowing the use of third party batteries on the Z8. If you try to install one the camera will give a warning saying the battery is not recognized (or something like that). I have not tried one myself, but those who have report the issue.

I ordered a pair of Ulanzi batteries for my Z8. in the description they claim that they are compatible with the Z8. I sent them a message and they confirmed. Unfortunately they did not arrive before my trip to Sardinia, and I will be able to check them only after my return the 5th of September… the nice thing is that they have a USB C input so you can charge them without an external charger. Ulanzi is a big company and usually they make good products. Let’s see… I will let you know when I will be able to test them. If they won’t work I will use them with my spare Z6II…

Anyway, here is the link.

You can also connect it via a dummy battery which dangles the cord from a slot on the battery door if you're using the USB for something else like tether.
Yep sure can. I have Nikon's version of that exact product for my D500 when I'm doing a lot of extreme macros. It was built and sold by Nikon. Wonder if they have anything for the mirrorless cameras like that.

I ordered a pair of Ulanzi batteries for my Z8. in the description they claim that they are compatible with the Z8. I sent them a message and they confirmed. Unfortunately they did not arrive before my trip to Sardinia, and I will be able to check them only after my return the 5th of September… the nice thing is that they have a USB C input so you can charge them without an external charger. Ulanzi is a big company and usually they make good products. Let’s see… I will let you know when I will be able to test them. If they won’t work I will use them with my spare Z6II…

Let us know if they are compatible w. the Z 8

I am glad you found it, the great thing about a built-in charging port is space & weight saving, charges on the go.

Oliver

Has anyone tried or can recommend an aftermarket battery for the Z8. My wife just received hers today and we are weighing options after finding out the original en-el15 does not work in the Z8. All opinions are welcome, especially if you think it would be a mistake!
The Z8 seems to be the most battery sensitive Nikon yet.
All my EN-EL15a b c seem to work but I haven't found a third party one that works yet.
Wasabi are probably going to be amongst the first good compatible batteries, but make sure before you buy them.
Also all the present dummy battery eliminators dont work either.
Nearly all my Batteries are genuine - If a battery fails it can expand and destroy a camera.
I do use third party OEM battery in battery grips though...

I have three Nikon EN-EL15 batteries from my D500 rated at 1900mAh 14 Wh. I also just bought a third Nikon EN-EL15c rated at 2280mAh 16 Wh. Why? I originally thought that I would just use the Nikon batteries from my D500, but they only lasted a few hours while I was just setting some of the "over 700 things you can/should set on your Z8." Thom Hogan, page 1245 in his "Complete Guide to the Nikon Z8" version 1.01.

SIMPLE ANSWER its a Mistake,

Just buy the genuine recommended Nikon battery for the Z8, history has proven over and over that while some aftermarket batteries work, there never as good, or as reliable or lasting in the number of charge cycles as the original Nikon batteries.

Further more the power specs can differ regardless of the claims and yes they can fall short after a few uses.

If you look at the many Nikon battery's it says the cells are made in Japan and shipped to China for the casings, WHY, its obvious, the heart for the battery is the cells for consistent specification and performance, usually a lot of things made in China contain more recycled materials or lower grade materials to deliver price.

Many people have used after market batteries and are happy with them more so in the DSLR days, new mirror less cameras are so computer orientated and the internal IS on the sensor is sensitive, you may or may not do long term damage if you have a off spec battery.

Regardless of being a genuine or after market battery, be careful to note if one battery gets hot while charging and another doesn't, that hot battery indicates that battery may not be the healthiest long term, with sophisticated high tech new cameras off song batteries may effect the electronics or the stability of the operating system in the camera.

If you can afford a Z8 and new Z glass i cant for the life of me understand anyone even considering after market batteries. You get what you pay for, that said many after market batteries do fine to a point, again we are now in the mirror less world using computers to take photos not just cameras, you need clean stable reliable power.

Its very important to only use good spec quality batteries and even cards in these new cameras, more so than ever before.

Only an opinion

Last edited:
Here’s an article by Thom Hogan. You might find of interest. I have tried several after market batteries from Amazon’s and one from adorama non of them worked. This article helps explain the differences
Its a good summary of where i was heading, thank you for sharing.

If i find any battery gets really really hot while charging as some can i don't use it and take it back to Nikon with in the warranty period for a replacement as i know it will be a problem.

I use only genuine battery's, genuine chargers, directly into a full power source for consistency in the charging cycle for the battery.
I charge my batteries if unused every 3 months fully. ie: D3X, D850 power grip = (D4S batteries) Ryobi tools etc all to preserve their performance.
I rotate my batteries as much as possible.
I mark each battery with a black texter pen as 1, 2, 3, 4, etc at a glance indicating its age, 1 being the oldest.

Only an opinion

Last edited:
I did just see someone posting on another forum about having gotten some aftermarket batteries that he did personally gmfind to work in his Z8. Unfortunately for anyone who wants to give it a go, I can't remember where I saw it - but at least you know there probably is something if you dig around for it.

Back