Z8 and Z9, which do you use the most

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

jerrylwatson

Supporting Member
Marketplace
For those that have both cameras, which one do you use most of the time and why. Since the firmware updates are bringing them closer together in features, there are mainly hardware differences (GPS, battery, etc.).

For wildlife in motion, I find the Z9 superior because of its larger buffer. It’s also better balanced with long lenses. And, battery life is better.

The Z8 is a fine camera, though.

Last edited:
I like the Z9 paired with the 600mm but the Z8 with the 400mm 4.5 is super light and so far it has done very well with motorcycles on the track. Will be heading to FL in a few weeks so the real test will be with our furry friends. I did use mostly the Z8 this past weekend at the track.

Last edited:
For wildlife in motion, I find the Z9 superior because of its larger buffer. It’s also better balanced with long lenses. And, battery life is better.

The Z8 is a fine camera, though.
Wait, are you saying the Z8 and Z9 have different buffer sizes? I thought they were identical in that respect, and that performance would be the same when writing to identical memory cards. Can you provide a link where this is stated, so I can read up on it?

I thought the main difference in performance between the two would be when shooting high resolution video, where the Z8 doesn't have the same cooling performance as the Z9.

Last edited:
Check back with me in a few months! :) I used a Z9 for most of last year shooting video (which is all I do). Of course the Z9 fine on a tripod (love the fact the battery lasts nearly forever and the Z9 rarely overheats) and it's comfy to handle but it does get a little heavy when walking around all day and is a bit "clunky" banging around at the end of my black rapid sport strap. So this year I'm picking up a Z8 and 600pf as a lightweight walk-around video rig. If the Z8 can keep up with the Z9 for shooting video I'll likely sell the Z9 as I don't really need two bodies, but my guess is I'll end up keeping them both until something better comes along from Nikon.

I do have both Jerry. I got the Z9 for shooting wildlife around or near my home paired with 400mm and longer glass. Although the advanced features were amazing It was just too large/heavy for those trips where I might see wildlife but more likely land and seascapes. The Z8 was a perfect choice as it is more travel friendly.

I find they pretty much split time. If I'm not carrying a bag w/extra batteries etc then I tend to carry the Z9. Also always pair the Z9 with the 800mmPF when using it. With smaller/lighter lenses I tend to prefer the Z8. And for landscapes always the Z8. If I'm just grabbing a camera to go for a quick shoot and one is already mounted on the lens I need then that's the one that goes with me.

If the firmware was identical, I’d be using the Z8 most of the time. When the Z9 had bird AF but the Z8 didn’t, I would take the Z9 for birds. Now the Z8 has the AF cycle function it is going to be my go to until it is added to the Z9. If I’m doing a lot of video, I’ll use the Z9. So the time is split now but my preferred camera is the Z8.

For studio, event, and location work, it’s the 9 for me as my primary, with the 8 available with a different lens and for B-roll if it’s a hybrid shoot. The 9 shoots as much as I want to with full backup to the other card, and it feels great when I switch to portrait.

When I’m accompanying my wife on one of her bird adventures, it’s the 8 for me. I’m an old guy; the relative lightness is appreciated.

Last edited:
Firmware has been the chief influencer for me. I'm using the Z8 more right now because of the recent FW update. Before the update, I used the Z9 most of the time. I expect my pref will even out when the next Z9 FW comes. Back when they were pretty much even, I went by weight and how much I would shoot unsupported; The 8 is a pound lighter.

I own and use both the Z9 and Z8. For long lenses (400TC, 800PF and 180-600) I prefer the Z9 for its bigger battery and vertical grip. For landscape and macro work, I prefer the Z8 for its smaller size. Both are great camera bodies (for me) and each backs up the other one. On long trips I try to take both bodies. In the distant DSLR past, I’ve had camera bodies fail while on an expensive trip - always good to have a backup IMHO.

I own and use both the Z9 and Z8. For long lenses (400TC, 800PF and 180-600) I prefer the Z9 for its bigger battery and vertical grip. For landscape and macro work, I prefer the Z8 for its smaller size. Both are great camera bodies (for me) and each backs up the other one. On long trips I try to take both bodies. In the distant DSLR past, I’ve had camera bodies fail while on an expensive trip - always good to have a backup IMHO.
Your choice is based on the use case, same as me. In addition to what you have mentioned, the Z8 is my choice for a hike or a city walk around based on its size, weight, and typically being paired with a general purpose lens such as the 24-120 F4 of 14-30 F4. The Z9 is my choice for performances because I don't need to worry about pausing for a battery change.

I have 2 - Z9's and a Z8. For action (anything that moves faster than a snail) always the Z9's. After the latest firmware update for the Z8 including the ability to cycle through the AF areas I gave the Z8 a spin with the 600 f6.3. Alas the Z8 is back on the self with the body cap on. The lack of controls, the small size, the unbalance with heavier lens, having to carry a pocket full of batteries regulates it to second place. Of course I'm in Arizona for the winter where I'm almost daily going out walking around parks, gardens, & along the river shooting birds. Not much else here. April 1st I will be going back to Tennessee for 7 months. There the Z8 becomes more appreciated. Shooting landscapes, flowers, hiking down (then back up) to waterfalls, hiking the cascading creeks in TN, and Western NC. Carrying a pack with several lens, filters, and tripod the lighter the better. The extra controls don't have much value. I do have to carry several extra batteries, plus a way to charge them in my vehicle. Maybe in another 10 years I'll appreciate the few oz's of weigh saving.

I use them equally. the Z9 is always attached to my 600 mm which I use a lot, while the Z 8 is attached to my others lenses depending on the situation. When I take videos, most of the time I am doing it with the Z 8 while at the same time I am shooting with my Z9. For me both camera complement one each others and I am always carrying both wherever I go.

For those that have both cameras, which one do you use most of the time and why. Since the firmware updates are bringing them closer together in features, there are mainly hardware differences (GPS, battery, etc.).
The Z9 is defiantly better for pro reasons and applications but for walking a lot, hiking, traveling, and other subjects like street photography etc the Z8 is better, also the Z8 is easier to resell, most people with the Z9 if they have any complaints its to big and heavy.
Nothing wrong with the z9 had it since 2021, sold it the other day, ordered a Z8 as a temporary camera.
Its a tool that fits the purpose for now of speed focusing size and weight..............

Hence the Z8 will get used far far more than the Z9.

Only an opinion

I much prefer a Z9 only system: sharing the same batteries and chargers etc. And fundamentally, the Z9 is Nikon's current flagship MILC.

I think going forward the firmware updates will continue to iterate (Z8 and Z9), so one will have new feature(s) before the other catches up.
This situation will presumably continue over the lifetimes of these cameras.

Back