z8, BIF

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

hi everyone just joined the group, my question is,ive had my z8 about a month ive also bought steve e book. ive been out tonight after a barn owl but in stead a kes appears 1st on telegraph wire about 60m away shots are good. it tskes off and lands on a pole 120m ish away, same setting picture rubbish, took about 100 shots in flight same distance all rubbish far from sharp, all take in M, shutter 4000th, f8, iso about 2000, 500mm PF lens, wide small fucus area, 3d tracking, which it didnt keep in track all the time. im asking to much at that distance,
hope i havnt bored you cheers keith, ps when i say rubbidh out of focus blured

hi everyone just joined the group, my question is,ive had my z8 about a month ive also bought steve e book. ive been out tonight after a barn owl but in stead a kes appears 1st on telegraph wire about 60m away shots are good. it tskes off and lands on a pole 120m ish away, same setting picture rubbish, took about 100 shots in flight same distance all rubbish far from sharp, all take in M, shutter 4000th, f8, iso about 2000, 500mm PF lens, wide small fucus area, 3d tracking, which it didnt keep in track all the time. im asking to much at that distance,
It would help a lot to see an example of the kind of images that are giving you trouble. It may be that you're simply too far away from a relatively small subject but there could be other factors which are hard to guess at without seeing the problem images.

Welcome to the forums

It would help a lot to see an example of the kind of images that are giving you trouble. It may be that you're simply too far away from a relatively small subject but there could be other factors which are hard to guess at without seeing the problem images.

Welcome to the forums
will do in the morning thanks for you reply

Shooting that size bird 120m away I think you may have unrealistic expectations. FOV across the short side of the frame w/500mm at 120m is about 6m. Shooting a bird that's about half a meter tall if you crop down to fill even 1/3 of the frame with bird you have to crop away almost 95 percent of the frame. Is that the sort of image you are looking at? If so everything basically has to be spot on perfect. Perfect technique, perfectly still air, camera/lens allowed to come to ambient temperature, vehicle at equilibrium with outside temperature if shooting from a car, etc, etc. Can the Z8 do that shot? Maybe. The bigger question is can you? Personally if I was shooting at that range with 500mm my expectations would be pretty low.

Shooting that size bird 120m away I think you may have unrealistic expectations. FOV across the short side of the frame w/500mm at 120m is about 6m. Shooting a bird that's about half a meter tall if you crop down to fill even 1/3 of the frame with bird you have to crop away almost 95 percent of the frame. Is that the sort of image you are looking at? If so everything basically has to be spot on perfect. Perfect technique, perfectly still air, camera/lens allowed to come to ambient temperature, vehicle at equilibrium with outside temperature if shooting from a car, etc, etc. Can the Z8 do that shot? Maybe. The bigger question is can you? Personally if I was shooting at that range with 500mm my expectations would be pretty low.
Thanks for your reply, the distance may be the problem or me, i will put a couple of shots on to help 1 in flight and 1 still on the post, that 1 taken with the camera resting on a wall, thanks again

DSC_1838.JPG
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

You are wayyy too far. The picture is alright in terms of sharpness and SS. By allright I mean that it is whatI would expect from a 100% crop at that distance (maybe some = 0,7 EV EC would help). What you really need is t o get closer.
Totally agree. 120 meters is WAY TOO FAR! That’s over 350 feet. With a 500mm, 150:feet is pushing it for a bird that small.

Atmospheric distortion could definitely be a contributor as the camera to subject distance increases. Any variations in air density along the focal path can alter the light through refraction. A minor impact at 60 meters could be greatly enhanced at 120 meters.

Also, any differing landscape features along the path to the second shot, like water, paved areas, structures, etc. that can affect the temperature of the overlying air column, can enhance atmospheric distortion.

Last edited:
That's just way too far away to do much of anything I'm afraid. Your subject is taking up so little space/pixels in the frame that there just isn't any detail/sharpness being captured that you can show off by cropping in more tightly.

There's not really any fix for this other than trying to get closer so you fill the frame better (which doesn't mean you have to be right up in its face, wider shots in a beautiful environment can be very nice as well).

On a side note, we all run into these situations (interesting subject but just too far away to do anything with it). All part of the game; better opportunities will surely come along.

That's just way too far away to do much of anything I'm afraid. Your subject is taking up so little space/pixels in the frame that there just isn't any detail/sharpness being captured that you can show off by cropping in more tightly.
DSC_1303.jpg  P .F, 12-denoise-standard.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

There's not really any fix for this other than trying to get closer so you fill the frame better (which doesn't mean you have to be right up in its face, wider shots in a beautiful environment can be very nice as well).

On a side note, we all run into these situations (interesting subject but just too far away to do anything with it). All part of the game; better opportunities will surely come along.
like this one at about 45m

thanks for your comment,

Back