Z8 Companion?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Being a wildlife photography forum....and a wildlife photographer, I've often had my subjects turn tail and run. But in 99% of the cases it wasn't because of the size of the camera. Maybe the size of the lens...... Or perhaps more likely my approach was too fast and aggressive. Just a thought.............

I believe it was mentioned a time or two already in the thread, but I highly recommend the Fujifilm X100 series. I have an X100T, and even though it’s one of the early versions with 16mp processor, it takes delightful photos of people and travel. The early X-trans processors are known for their “film like” qualities and I can honestly say that’s what attracts me to the X100T. I love the out of camera JPEGs it produces and it’s easily packaged and not intrusive or intimidating for street photography.

Unfortunately, used prices seem to be much higher these days so the older X100s aren’t the deal they used to be. I‘ve heard social media influencers (whatever they are) have really talked up these cameras and now they are in hot demand. But if you can find one for a reasonable price they are great.

The fugi X100VI had my interest as well - and at a far less price point, but I think I would have just ended up yearning for the Q3 after a period of time.

I was surprised today when I raised my camera to a young Amish lady, she smiled and allowed the photo! She is cashier at a cafe'
That said, I seldom do any of that type photography.

I watched that video and a dozen or so others.....it's a tempting system for sure, so maybe I will see about getting one. Man they're speedy, though

The only camera that won’t draw attention is a phone. Everything else draws an escalating level of attention from people who are aware of you. I’ll show what I have to give a sense of scale.

About the same size as a phone, I have a Sony RX100VII. It’s effectively an iPhone with a 24-200, minus the computational stuff. I use it for travel photos when the iPhone’s lenses won’t cut it. There’s a few options in this class. I like the RX100VII because while none of these super compacts are image quality champs, the 24-200 lens covers landscapes/cityscapes nicely, and makes nice photos in daylight. And it fits in a relax fit jeans pocket, or any fleece.

Next step up are the APS-C compacts… the Ricohs and the X100 are the top compacts, and for good reason. They’re quick, image quality is good, and they’re good for a jacket pocket. The X100 has the added benefit of fun dials to crank on. :)

Next step up is Fuji X. Smaller bodies than the Zf, and plenty of compact lens choices. The XPro2 is the current sweet spot IMHO, if you’re looking to build a compact kit with primes. If I’m honest, I could get by with JUST this kit for all my photography.

Next step up is the Zf. The 26/2.8, 28/2.8, and 40/2 are good native lenses, and adapted film lenses work nicely. Leica’s bodies are about the same size, and I only ignore them because the Zf does the same thing but with AF and a few thousand dollars in my pocket. The Zf is the most capable camera of the lot by a fair margin, and only a step behind my Z9 for anything but wildlife.

Finally, I like to adapt lenses to my 50R. There’s no good reason to suffer its foibles, but it’s a joy to shoot. It’s something like an old classic sports car with a sloppy shifter and antique suspension design. Makes me smile. I threw it in the comparison as a book end.

IMG_6734.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

IMG_6735.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Ended up with the Q3.

Had it for a few days. The crash course and determination to wrap my head around on the Z8 (you can check my post history - you guys really helped with that as I am a newb in general) really helped use this "right out of the box" with pretty much no fuss. It is a much simpler camera (by design) and I can see this being a consistent setup of mine for all future upgrades (Z8(next gens) and Q(next gens) as it makes sense to upgrade. I immediately can see why/when the Z8 must be used and when the Q3 is just nice to use due to size, simplicity and weight without forgoing IQ.

I find 28mm to be better than I had initially thought it would be. It gives quite a bit of room out in the street etc.

If anyone has questions, fire away!

Hi @Don_Logan, I wish I had seen this earlier. Congrats on your Q3! I'm primarily a street photographer first. You didn't specifically express an interest in street, but just an every day carry that would be unobtrusive, right? If so, I would have advised you to save money and pick up a used Fujifilm just to get a sense of what you need. The Q3 is a Ferrari! I'm curious to find out how it works out for you!

^ Thank you for the reply. Everyday, street - just something a bit more "low key" yet produces a top tier image.

I thought about the 100VI but 1) you cannot find them and 2) I think it would just be gateway to the Q3 and therefore would actually end up costing me more in the long run. Also, while a bit anecdotal at this point, ive read the 40mp cannot be resolved very well with the fuji lens.

In the end, the nod pretty much goes to the Q3 every time, price aside.

----

I have maybe 500 shots or so. It is much more convenient just running and gunning as its lighter and a bit less "in your face" I am really liking the tilt screen as well for waist shots, which have been tack sharp in many cases without proper framing etc - just walking and taking pics of people. I might post some pics here at some point later.

I looked at the Q2 at one point and considered getting it but I already had the z7ii which has 47mp and is also very light and compact. If I put a compact pancake lens on that it is a pretty slick street shooter. When I was comparing the q2 was actually heavier than the z7ii. My question is why would I not go for the z7ii because it is much More flexible in what it can do.

Of course these days the z7ii lacks the autofocus sophistication of the z8/9. I keep hoping they release a z7iii.

I looked at the Q2 at one point and considered getting it but I already had the z7ii which has 47mp and is also very light and compact. If I put a compact pancake lens on that it is a pretty slick street shooter. When I was comparing the q2 was actually heavier than the z7ii. My question is why would I not go for the z7ii because it is much More flexible in what it can do.

Of course these days the z7ii lacks the autofocus sophistication of the z8/9. I keep hoping they release a z7iii.
TBH, just to try a different system that was highly respected. I have always lusted after a Leica and now that I understand how to control exposure it seemed like a fun direction to go.

I fully understand there are cheaper, more efficient ways to get the job done. The other option was the Sony A7CR with a pancake to start.

In the end the Leica represents a no BS way to get the job done and exudes heirloom quality to boot. I can see this combo being my forever combo barring anything unforeseen. If I really get into this, I would upgrade the Z8 every other cycle or maybe every two and do the same with the Q.

Its like having a fully loaded Denali 2500 pickup in the garage with a Porsche 911 Turbo S

Back