Z9 Battery Charge

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Charles Loy

Supporting Member
Marketplace
The Z9 will allow to charge with the battery instilled in the camera, via the USB C. I am charging it using my laptop charger as I type this. Kinda worried that this can be a no-no. Searching the YouTube I see others using portable power supplies to charge Z7 and 9.
Any opinion or caution regarding ??

Since Nikon designed the camera to be able to charge the battery while in the camera, I have no qualms about doing so. The camera complies with the USB-C PD specification that allows negotiation of charging parameters with a PD standard power source, be it 12V to USB-C PD adapter, Battery Bank with PD labeled USB-C jack, AC to USB-C PD adapter.

If you attempt to power the camera or the supplied battery charger with a high-output USB A source and a USB-A to USB-C cable, the camera will illuminate the charging lamp momentarily, but when the PD negotiation fails the charge indicator will go out and the charging system in the camera will shut down without incident.

I have charged mine from all of the above at various times and have had no issues whatsoever, whether charging in the supplied battery charger or charging in the camera. Likewise powering the camera via USB-C.

Cheers!

The Z9 will allow to charge with the battery instilled in the camera, via the USB C. I am charging it using my laptop charger as I type this. Kinda worried that this can be a no-no. Searching the YouTube I see others using portable power supplies to charge Z7 and 9.
With the Z9 you of course get the MH-33 battery charger and the EH-7P charging adapter which plugs into the battery charger. It works flawlessly. But you can also use the EH-7P charging adapter to plug into the camera to charge the battery and that too works extremely well. You can also get an second EH-7P or you can get something like the INVZI 65W USB C charger which is used the charge laptops, but also works very well when plugged into the Z9. In the field, I take the MH-33 and the EH-7P and then I also bring either a 2nd EH-7P or the INVZI charger. Then, I can put one battery into the MH-33 charger connected to the EH-7P and I can at the same time charge a second battery in the Z9 by attaching either the EH-7P or the INVZI to the USB port in the camera. I believe that the INVZI actually charges faster than the EH-7P.

It charged just fine, super. I am heading to the Sturgis Bike Rally next week and will take the Z9 and laptop. I ride the bike, so even small things take up the limited available space. (y) (y)

Likely you are aware that any NIKON EN-EL 18 battery will power the Z9. Brand X will not
I am yes, I was using my D5 batteries, but I’ve just sold that camera and spare batteries as the z9 charger won’t charge the D5 batteries!
I did look into getting a replacement D5 charger but they are ridiculously priced!
I have a couple of Z9 batteries on order but I’m not holding much hope of getting them before my trip!
Thanks

I have 2 OEM Nikon batteries and 2 Wasabi Power EN-EL18D compatible batteries and use them interchangeably with no issues whatsoever. The Wasabi batteries charge in the Nikon charger or in the camera itself. No change when I upgraded to firmware 2.0 or 2.1. Be aware though that the charger from Wasabi does NOT charge the Nikon batteries...at least that was the case back in May when I first got the Wasabi batteries and charger. I had an older Wasabi EN-EL18B battery and charger, but that battery would not work in my Z9, so I sold it with a D850 and battery grip.

Edit: I have seen no appreciable difference in battery performance and I've often used both down to 25% on occasion when shooting video.

I have 2 OEM Nikon batteries and 2 Wasabi Power EN-EL18D compatible batteries and use them interchangeably with no issues whatsoever. The Wasabi batteries charge in the Nikon charger or in the camera itself. No change when I upgraded to firmware 2.0 or 2.1.

Interesting, and good to know. I use their batteries in action cameras. (y)

Does anyone know if plugging in a Nikon USB-C (Nikon UC-E25) cable directly into a {laptop, car USB, AC 110 USB plug adapters) Outlet then connect to the Z9 body a safe charging option. Don't want to try and do damage to the camera. Can't find much info on USB charging from Nikon site or manual. Thanks Mark

The PD hardware in the camera or charger is very well protected and will just shut down if it doesn't see a compatible power source. Very unlikely you can damage the camera unless you were to put a very high voltage into it. Very doubtful that Nikon engineers would assume that all users are electrical engineers. The key thing to look for is the "PD" logo on any charging source and it must be able to provide a minimum of 15W of power, 3A@5V. If the charger can supply more power, say one capable of charging a laptop that is rated at 60W or more, that will not cause a problem.

If you'd like to educate yourself on this matter, go here: https://www.usb.org/usb-charger-pd

Cheers!

Does anyone know if plugging in a Nikon USB-C (Nikon UC-E25) cable directly into a {laptop, car USB, AC 110 USB plug adapters) Outlet then connect to the Z9 body a safe charging option. Don't want to try and do damage to the camera. Can't find much info on USB charging from Nikon site or manual. Thanks Mark
I recall seeing something a while back that any usb charger will work, it's a matter of how long it will take as some have a higher current rating than others.

I recall seeing something a while back that any usb charger will work, it's a matter of how long it will take as some have a higher current rating than others.
Not true, any charging source has to conform to USB-PD specifications. I've tried a number of flavors of USB charging device, including the USB Quick Charge devices they've all been a no go. I've tried a very recent USB-A quick charge device capable of 5V at 3A and while the charge light on the camera will illuminate for a few seconds, it quickly goes out as the camera internal circuitry doesn't detect the protocol handshake it expects.

As long as you have a PD spec charger it all works fine. I recently went on a 2 week road trip and used a car charger you plug into cigarette lighter socket (anker brand) to charge the battery in camera while driving between locations. Zero issues (I didn't have to use my spare battery once because the main one was always topped up). :)

Last edited:
Just a thought - USB devices aside, although a short circuit in a LiON battery pack can deliver a significant and hot over voltage, why would you connect an expensive USB-C device’s (Z9) circuitry to a low cost (cheap?) psu plugged into the mains when any number of failure modes will promptly fry your camera as no doubt the camera’s USB power controller will be (surface) mounted directly to the main board……..?

Hence the various manufacturers doom laden warnings about only using their own charging hardware, batteries, etc.

Or am I missing something here?

the various manufacturers doom laden warnings about only using their own charging hardware, batteries, etc.

Or am I missing something here?
Nikon charging light will blink on the Z9 if an incompatible charge is plugged into the USB charging port.
After researching, I believe it is safe and acceptable to charge battery within the Z9 with other than Nikon supplied equipment.

Nikon charging light will blink on the Z9 if an incompatible charge is plugged into the USB charging port.
After researching, I believe it is safe and acceptable to charge battery within the Z9 with other than Nikon supplied equipment.

Not being a Z9 owner, I’m sure that’s so, but only for charging equipment that is outside the relevant (USB) spec - voltage, current, etc. However, if such equipment, inc Nikon’s own, were to fail so as to pass the mains voltage to the Z9, then I would assume that would be the end of the camera. Hence, why I expressed concern with the whole practice of charging batteries in the camera rather than using a separate external charger……

Of course this should be a vanishingly small possibility with equipment from reputable manufacturers but given the cost of cameras such as the Z9 would I want to risk it - possibly not. There are undoubtedly many circumstances where in camera charging will be convenient, perhaps necessary, however, it will be for each owner to judge whether is sits within their own risk appetite. (Also applies to laptops, tablets, cellphones etc., etc. many of which do not even offer the option of using an external charger.)

And to be fair, I use the Apple USB-C power supply from my MacBook to charge several USB-C compatible devices - just not sure I’d want to plug it into my brand new, £5.5k Z9……. If I were to get one 😀

Not being a Z9 owner, I’m sure that’s so, but only for charging equipment that is outside the relevant (USB) spec - voltage, current, etc. However, if such equipment, inc Nikon’s own, were to fail so as to pass the mains voltage to the Z9, then I would assume that would be the end of the camera. Hence, why I expressed concern with the whole practice of charging batteries in the camera rather than using a separate external charger……

Of course this should be a vanishingly small possibility with equipment from reputable manufacturers but given the cost of cameras such as the Z9 would I want to risk it - possibly not. There are undoubtedly many circumstances where in camera charging will be convenient, perhaps necessary, however, it will be for each owner to judge whether is sits within their own risk appetite. (Also applies to laptops, tablets, cellphones etc., etc. many of which do not even offer the option of using an external charger.)

And to be fair, I use the Apple USB-C power supply from my MacBook to charge several USB-C compatible devices - just not sure I’d want to plug it into my brand new, £5.5k Z9……. If I were to get one 😀
I would like to thank everyone for their input on this subject I really appreciate it. One other quick question does anyone know what the calibration button does on the nikon battery charger MH33. I can't find any reference to it anywhere.

Thanks Mark Kraus

I would like to thank everyone for their input on this subject I really appreciate it. One other quick question does anyone know what the calibration button does on the nikon battery charger MH33. I can't find any reference to it anywhere.

Thanks Mark Kraus
If the calibration lamp flashes when battery is inserted, then it indicates battery should be calibrated by pressing the calibration button within 10 seconds and holding it for 1 second. Calibration will take considerable amount of time and does not need to be done for the battery to continue to work properly, but it is recommended for accurate measurements of the battery charge state.

One other quick question does anyone know what the calibration button does on the nikon battery charger MH33. I can't find any reference to it anywhere.

Thanks Mark Kraus
It's what @Ivan Rothman said. adding: Calibration drains all cells and recharges fully. During use the battery cells will be out of sync with each other, some holding slight charge as other cells become exhausted. I have found that often (not always) the battery will drop a level of usage after calibration. Many ignore and don't calibrate, it's all good.

There is a remote chance of a power surge or charger failure damaging your camera - (It happened to me once)
Because of the bigger battery the Z9 takes PD USB charging only...🦘

Back