Z9 Battery Charge

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I've read mosy of the comments and noticed a lot of possible things that could go wrong but no one has suggested buying a second battery to use while the first one charges in the charger designed for the job.

I've read mosy of the comments and noticed a lot of possible things that could go wrong but no one has suggested buying a second battery to use while the first one charges in the charger designed for the job.
If you look at my early post in this thread, I talk about charging battery both using the charger or directly in camera. Both methods work very well. I actually travel with 3-4 EN-EL18c or d batteries and I keep them all charged up. So in mid-day shooting break or in the evening, I will be charging battery either in camera, in the charger or both at the same time. Another nice thing to do is to get some extra Nikon BL-7 battery chamber covers, which can then be permanently left on each battery so that there is one less step to perform while switching batteries. The battery with attached BL-7 fits fine in the battery charger. Unfortunately, the BL-7 covers have been on backorder for quite some time.

Thanks - I have several batteries, but would rather take only one in the camera, on this trip.

Thanks - I have several batteries, but would rather take only one in the camera, on this trip.
? You wrote: "I am heading to the Sturgis Bike Rally ... I ride the bike, so even small things take up the limited available space" Later followed by "I have several batteries, but would rather take only one in the camera, on this trip." It seems to me that a spare battery would be the answer if you are concerned about space (and probably weight).

Last edited:
With the Z9 you of course get the MH-33 battery charger and the EH-7P charging adapter which plugs into the battery charger. It works flawlessly. But you can also use the EH-7P charging adapter to plug into the camera to charge the battery and that too works extremely well. You can also get an second EH-7P or you can get something like the INVZI 65W USB C charger which is used the charge laptops, but also works very well when plugged into the Z9. In the field, I take the MH-33 and the EH-7P and then I also bring either a 2nd EH-7P or the INVZI charger. Then, I can put one battery into the MH-33 charger connected to the EH-7P and I can at the same time charge a second battery in the Z9 by attaching either the EH-7P or the INVZI to the USB port in the camera. I believe that the INVZI actually charges faster than the EH-7P.
Thanks for reminding me that I have several EH-7Ps laying around here from other cameras and can plug one direct into the Z9 I just got this afternoon. The camera is plugged into the EH-7P and charging fine. I read in the manual about needing a UC-E25 USB cable (sold serperarately!) to charge the camera directly from my computer USB slots and the cable included with the camera is a UC-E24. Do you have any experience charging with the UC-E24 or simply using a C to C USB cable that there was a failure to charge like the manual says? Thanks.

There is a remote chance of a power surge or charger failure damaging your camera - (It happened to me once)
Because of the bigger battery the Z9 takes PD USB charging only...🦘
Power surge with a device connected via UPS power supply or plugged into a wall. None of my electronics are plugged directly into household current and I have never burned anything. Just curious about what happened in your situation in the interest of llearning.

There is a remote chance of a power surge or charger failure damaging your camera - (It happened to me once)
Because of the bigger battery the Z9 takes PD USB charging only...🦘
I'm reading this right now. Thought I'd post the link for others who wonder what the USB Power Delivery (PD) standard is all about.

If the calibration lamp flashes when battery is inserted, then it indicates battery should be calibrated by pressing the calibration button within 10 seconds and holding it for 1 second. Calibration will take considerable amount of time and does not need to be done for the battery to continue to work properly, but it is recommended for accurate measurements of the battery charge state.
What does calibration mean in this situation?

Breaking news...this just in. Breaking news!

I have a battery in the MH-33 and EH-7P and one in the camera with the EH-7P charging it. The in camera charger blows away the MH-33. Much, much, much faster. Internal charging is the way to go if you want it done faster.

Last edited:
It means reading of the % battery charged will be more accurate
But calibration does not change battery cspacity
Still not clear on what that means for batteries. Kind of like zeroing the reading out so it doesn't report a full charge when it's not fully charged? Maybe it's a load test on the battery to determine it's actual capacity before it begins charging it. Sorry for being so curious I hate using things that I don't know why I am using them:)

Still not clear on what that means for batteries. Kind of like zeroing the reading out so it doesn't report a full charge when it's not fully charged? Maybe it's a load test on the battery to determine it's actual capacity before it begins charging it. Sorry for being so curious I hate using things that I don't know why I am using them:)
Found this. No problem.

Power surge with a device connected via UPS power supply or plugged into a wall. None of my electronics are plugged directly into household current and I have never burned anything. Just curious about what happened in your situation in the interest of llearning.
The "power brick" failed and I expect 240v AC went strait into the Fuji camera and it was fatal for the camera.
A more extensive electrical protection system might have saved the camera.
but I've always felt wary of plugging the camera in to charge the battery since...🦘

The "power brick" failed and I expect 240v AC went strait into the Fuji camera and it was fatal for the camera.
A more extensive electrical protection system might have saved the camera.
but I've always felt wary of plugging the camera in to charge the battery since...🦘
That's why I asked. I have everything on battery back up UPS. I was hoping you weren't plugged into one or I would be worried. Thanks.

Since Nikon designed the camera to be able to charge the battery while in the camera, I have no qualms about doing so. The camera complies with the USB-C PD specification that allows negotiation of charging parameters with a PD standard power source, be it 12V to USB-C PD adapter, Battery Bank with PD labeled USB-C jack, AC to USB-C PD adapter.

If you attempt to power the camera or the supplied battery charger with a high-output USB A source and a USB-A to USB-C cable, the camera will illuminate the charging lamp momentarily, but when the PD negotiation fails the charge indicator will go out and the charging system in the camera will shut down without incident.

I have charged mine from all of the above at various times and have had no issues whatsoever, whether charging in the supplied battery charger or charging in the camera. Likewise powering the camera via USB-C.

Cheers!
OEM battery in my Z9 - Have tried MANY different USB power sources and the lamp only stays lit momentarily then goes out. Other than the single "USB power delivery" configuration, is there another applicable setting - Any other conditions that might result in this condition? Thank you!

OEM battery in my Z9 - Have tried MANY different USB power sources and the lamp only stays lit momentarily then goes out. Other than the single "USB power delivery" configuration, is there another applicable setting - Any other conditions that might result in this condition? Thank you!
Must be US B - C cord and the cord and plug in adapter must be PD rated. Or it will not sense the correct voltage.

I just got two Z9 bodies, and each comes in the box with one MH-33 charger and one EH-7P AC adapter. However, the EH-7P is discontinued as a separate purchase by itself.

Anyway, I will be using them to do video work, where I will have them on tripods for hours at a time. So I don't want to use the batteries, but keep them charged and fresh for when I shoot off-tripod, either on a gimbal or a handheld rig. I was looking at the EP-6a dummy battery with the EH-6d AC adapter, but perhaps that's a waste of money, and I could just use the EH-7P to power the camera via USB-C. Any pros or cons, or same thing?

The EH-7P is just a USB-C charger. Reading the label its 15W. I also have two that came with the Z9’s. I don’t use them I have a drawer full of 20 W USB-C chargers from all the Apple devices over the years. I use the 20W charger for my 13” iPad for the MH-33, and to connect directly to the Z9 to either charge the battery in camera, or power up the camera when on a tripod. You don’t need the dummy battery…They became obsolete when the charging USB-C port was added..

The EH-7P is just a USB-C charger. Reading the label its 15W. I also have two that came with the Z9’s. I don’t use them I have a drawer full of 20 W USB-C chargers from all the Apple devices over the years. I use the 20W charger for my 13” iPad for the MH-33, and to connect directly to the Z9 to either charge the battery in camera, or power up the camera when on a tripod. You don’t need the dummy battery…They became obsolete when the charging USB-C port was added..

Got it - just wanted to be sure nothing happens when powering via USB-C - like timers act differently, or the battery (need one in there - won't run without it) or body heats up, etc. I don't want the fully charged internal battery to ever be used when USB-C power is attached, but from Nikon's manual, not sure that's always the case. I want the battery fresh for when taking it off tripod.

I have a bunch of USB chargers as well, but not sure if more W is better or can harm, and if the USB-C cable and be any USB-C cable from any USB-C AC/wall charger.

If I remember correctly the Z7 battery grip the USB-C port would charge the battery if the camera was off, or operate the camera if turned on. Not both at the same time. Not sure if that is the case now. My main worry when using an aux power supply is people, or myself catching the cable and pulling everything over. So now I use an aux battery, and Tether Tools StrapMoore to hold the battery to the tripod.

Screenshot 2023-12-01 at 6.35.52 AM.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-12-01 at 6.35.52 AM.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-12-01 at 6.35.52 AM.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 26
Back