Z9 Battery Charge

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

If I remember correctly the Z7 battery grip the USB-C port would charge the battery if the camera was off, or operate the camera if turned on. Not both at the same time. Not sure if that is the case now. My main worry when using an aux power supply is people, or myself catching the cable and pulling everything over. So now I use an aux battery, and Tether Tools StrapMoore to hold the battery to the tripod.

I get the worry, but I guess with the USB-C power from an AC wall adaptor requiring you to also have the battery in the camera, even if you accidentally pull it out you still have the battery! This is one advantage over the dummy battery, provided pulling the USB-C power cable doesn't upset the camera and it switches to the internal battery seamlessly.

i didn’t watch it, but there was a matt erwi
I just got two Z9 bodies, and each comes in the box with one MH-33 charger and one EH-7P AC adapter. However, the EH-7P is discontinued as a separate purchase by itself.

Anyway, I will be using them to do video work, where I will have them on tripods for hours at a time. So I don't want to use the batteries, but keep them charged and fresh for when I shoot off-tripod, either on a gimbal or a handheld rig. I was looking at the EP-6a dummy battery with the EH-6d AC adapter, but perhaps that's a waste of money, and I could just use the EH-7P to power the camera via USB-C. Any pros or cons, or same thing?
i think Matt may have covered some heat vs external power topics here:

If I remember correctly the Z7 battery grip the USB-C port would charge the battery if the camera was off, or operate the camera if turned on. Not both at the same time. Not sure if that is the case now. My main worry when using an aux power supply is people, or myself catching the cable and pulling everything over. So now I use an aux battery, and Tether Tools StrapMoore to hold the battery to the tripod.

View attachment 75551
Hi everybody.

For anyone interested, I have been tethering using 30 dollar Amazon 30000 MaH battery packs instead of the 145 dollar each tether tools 25,600 MaH battery for over two years and the only difference is I bought 5 of the Amazon batteries for like 3 dollars more in total than I did for one Tether Tool labeled battery that likely came off the same assembly line in some third world factory. I've had no problems and use them for tethering several days a week every week year round. Right now there is a 40000 MaH available for S29.99 on Amazon. The ones in my picture are up to $39 now. You'll also see knock off Z9 batteries and charger next to the Nikon versions in the picture. They all work great and I use the dual knock off charger more than the Nikon just because it does two batteries at once.

On a battery side note, when you charge batteries the current flow will produce heat. The more current applied the faster the recharge, like in all charging systems, and the greater heat produced. If you want half the heat reduce the current by one half and wait twice as long. Energy is never free so don't forget to take efficiency factors into consideration. Problem solved. Resistive loads produce heat proportional to the work they are performing. Turn on a toaster oven and take a peek inside and you will notice the elements glowing. It's the same concept. Freaking out about physics working properly is needless worry.

If you want to feel a hot camera battery tether a camera in direct sun with no umbrella on a hot summer day. Wait an hour and try handling the camera. You'll burn your hand just touching the camera and lens. The camera will keep working except in extreme heat with little air flow. The camera knows when to turn itself off if it gets too hot. When a Nikon turns off on hot days it is because the battery becomes too hot as opposed to the camera component overheating. I reduced the problem by removing the battery compartment covers when tethering and using white fabric over the camera to keep the sun off the black bodies. The fabric is also a great feature for keeping the birds that sit on the camera and lens from annointing it every time they take off (as anyone who has watched Steve's lesson about how to tell when a bird is about to take off will be able to tell you happens). A dummy battery plugged into one the battery packs solved overheated battery compartments as a concern completely. I have never had a Nikon body overheat using a dummy battery as opposed to the internal EN battery.

I also use the tether tools case relay shown in this video. I got one for about 40 bucks used because it rattled. It's simply a set of wires, relay and a tiny internal battery to provide time to change external power sources without losing power to the camera.

I've never figured out why a real need for the splitter device he holds during the video. I do all the same stuff he does without one but the case relay is excellent for hot swapping power to a camera without shutting down whatever you are doing.

Another feature of the external battery packs is that you never really have to change then if you have a USB power source close. You just plug power into the external battery and the power used by the camera is replaced in real time so the battery always remains charged. I also power monitors and LEDs with the battery packs just by connecting them to the battery pack with their own wire. Or, in bizarro world, one could even daisy chain gangs of external batteries and have power to run for days, or maybe years, but I having a feeling anyone doing that would just be showing off.

Heat's normal and to be expected in electrical circuits. Space heaters and toasters wouldn't work if it wasn't.

Chill pills are in order for anyone worrying about this stuff. Relax and enjoy life and worry about what's in front of the lens and who's looking through the eye piece instead of if a new toy is going to suddenly fry because it has a different internal battery charging circuit than the last one. Avoid the wide spread panic of internet photography chat chaos before it's too late 🤯 No need to worry...the rest of us will all be on here whining loudly if our Z9's suddenly begin self combusting in our hands someday or burn our houses down while charging on the dining room table overnight.

Attachments

• BCG-1201-IMG_00001-BCG1-2.jpg
    BCG-1201-IMG_00001-BCG1-2.jpg
    401.6 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
A dummy battery plugged into one the battery packs solved overheated battery compartments as a concern completely. I have never had a Nikon body overheat using a dummy battery as opposed to the internal EN battery.

This is what I’m trying to decide on per my post above. Should I get the Z9 dummy batter and AC adaptor or just use a USB-C charger for power delivery? The only advantage I can think of is what you mention above - the dummy battery will never overheat. USB-C charger has many other pros however. Curious on what you meant in the quiet above, because you went on to say not to worry about overheating. I need to sort all this out before taking these cameras on a paid project.

This is what I’m trying to decide on per my post above. Should I get the Z9 dummy batter and AC adaptor or just use a USB-C charger for power delivery? The only advantage I can think of is what you mention above - the dummy battery will never overheat. USB-C charger has many other pros however. Curious on what you meant in the quiet above, because you went on to say not to worry about overheating. I need to sort all this out before taking these cameras on a paid project.

The Z9 has never overheated under any condition, any power delivery. For me, and as far as I can tell, anyone else. The Z8 overheats under certain conditions, for me and for others.

Back