Z9 Bird/Animal Eye AF Database!

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I thought we can make a database of how well the Z9 can track different animals/birds in different situations by collectively pooling in our first-hand experiences!
Not sure if anybody is interested, but I am doing it anyway! It could help other photographers & perhaps even Nikon if they ever happen to pay attention here!

Here is mine for now. (Do follow the following format!)

The following table took me 10-15 mins to complete...

Sample 1
No.Birds/AnimalsEye AF Proficiency (wide area large & full auto AF) Distance Scenario/Note (Stationary unless mentioned)Light
1Purple sunbird9/10Within 25 feetDense foliageExcellent
2Red whiskered & vented bulbuls9/10Within 25 feet & 75 feet------Excellent & Dull
3Spotted Owl6/10Within 75 feetGets confused with the surrounding grey treesAverage & Dull
4Pied Kingfisher3/10Within 75 feetGets badly confused with the dull skyAverage & Dull
5Blackbucks4/10Within 100 feetCan't recognize its eyes well. Mistakes its butt for eyes!Excellent
6Pigeons8/10Within 200 feet------Excellent & Dull
7Albino pigeons9/10Within 200 feet------Excellent & Dull
8Doves8/10Within 100 feet------Excellent & Dull
9Parrots/Parakeets7/10Within 100 feet------Excellent & Dull
10Flowerpecker9/10Within 25 feetDense foliageExcellent
11Oriental-white eye9/10Within 25 feetDense foliageExcellent
12Tailor bird9/10Within 25 feetDense foliageExcellent
13Ashy prinia9/10Within 25 feetDense foliageExcellent
14Black drongo8/10Within 100 feetDense foliageExcellent
15Shikra10/10Within 100 feet------Excellent
16Black Kites7/10Within 100 feet------Excellent
17Black Kites6/10Within 100 feetLatches onto the body when in flight, even when the eye is clearly seen Excellent
18Egret9/10Within 100 feet------Excellent
19Pond heron9/10Within 100 feet------Excellent
20White-eyed buzzard7/10Within 150 feet------Excellent

Great idea
Please explain how the Rating works (2nd Column). An approximate list of guidelines will help as what determines 6/10 or 10/10 etc
It is also important to distinguish stationary versus flying, and face on/side view of the eyes is an important variable i.e. Recognition of the eyes versus tracking the eyes of a moving subject

Great idea
Please explain how the Rating works (2nd Column). An approximate list of guidelines will help as what determines 6/10 or 10/10 etc
It is also important to distinguish stationary versus flying, and face on/side view of the eyes is an important variable i.e. Recognition of the eyes versus tracking the eyes of a moving subject

Well, it is quite subjective & it is difficult/tedious to standardize it...so for the sake of simplicity & practicality, we can rate it as per our judgement.
The ratings can be given relative to the experience one has had have in focussing the subjects with a D500/D850/D5/D6/D4 (Nikon's 5 best auto-focussing DSLRs) & cameras like R6/R5/A1/A1/A9 ii/ & R3. I have rated them based on my experience of using D500 with 500 PF, R6 with 100-400, & Sony A1 with 200-600.

It doesn't matter if I rate something a 9 while another rates the same thing/situation an 8. The rating system however will help us to identify the extremities irrespective of our subjective/unscientific judgement. For instance, one can clearly make out from the table that I wasn't happy with Z9 detecting the eyes of the pied kingfishers & blackbucks.
We can rate the eye AF for stationary subjects or them moving about slowly. If one wants to rate them for BIF, they can always list that down separately & add a note in the 5th column detailing the scenario or anything they would like to point out...this way we keep it simple... (I have done that...refer no 16 & 17 in the above table)

Back