Z9 Continuing Problems

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

jcgamble

Supporting Member
Marketplace
In the first year and a half of Z9 use, I had maybe a dozen lockup ups that required a switch off and on or a battery removal to get back to service. In the last year, I have not had a single lockup or anything similar. Is this anyone's experience?

I didn't have a dozen lockups on the original firmware but yes, I haven't had one for a very long time now. I can't really remember the last time I had a lockup but it's probably been a year or more.

With FW 2 had quite a lot of lockups and on my first outing which was disheartening at the time. That said all the FW versions after that all is good here too nothing for about 18 momths. More out of habit than anything else I still only use quick format rather than full format method this based on what was being said at the time about the full format method being a potential factor.

In the first year and a half of Z9 use, I had maybe a dozen lockup ups that required a switch off and on or a battery removal to get back to service. In the last year, I have not had a single lockup or anything similar. Is this anyone's experience?
In over 18 months with my Z9 I’ve not had any lockups at all. As of a week ago the shutter count was just over 143,000.

Last edited:
Ever since some had issues with firmware 3.0 where resetting the camera and reinstalling the firmware straightened out the wonkiness is things like the AF acting strangely, I have just preemptively just reset the camera, install the firmware, reinstall the firmware a second time and set the camera up manually again.

This process only take about 45 min and for me, the added benefit since i teach Z9/Z8 setups and techniques, it keeps the menu very great in my mind and not wasting people's session time fiddling.

Last edited:
I have an early shipment Z9 - received it shortly after the introduction. I only use Delkin Black or Prograde Colbalt 325GB cards. Cards are soft formatted after each use. Firmware is always current. My Z9 locks up a couple times a month. I have not noticed that any one specific lens is a cause. The body is currently with for Nikon service due the power on/off switch being very stiff to operate. I have also asked Nikon to see if there is a cause for the lockups. I should receive a service summary early in the week of May 27.

I will share any relevant info.

I have 2 Z9's and the only lock ups happened with my newest. I had to pull battery and then had to put in my back up card and load menu settings and it worked for the rest of my trip and a couple of others. I did mention the odd holographic looking stuff recorded to the card and seen in the viewfinder when the camera locked up when I sent the camera into Nikon for routine service as part of my NPS plan a month before warranty was up.

Turned out it was a main pcb short out and they replaced that, the main switch and compelet top cover (whatever that entails). It has worked great since then.

Back