Z9 Rubber Eyecup Issue and possible replacement solution

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Michaud

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I've had my Z9 about a year. Very early on, the rubber eyecup around the viewfinder pulled away. At first I would (frustratingly) put it back on, and after hearing from others about how they just left it off and it didn't really matter, I decided to do the same thing. This month I picked up new eyeglasses. Yesterday I was shooting for the entire day and got a little overzealous with some owls in a tree. Lots of shooting, and when I got home, I realized my new eyeglass lens on my left eye-has a pretty nasty scratch. I know it HAD to happen using the camera - cause every other minute if I took off my glasses, they went in the case on the front seat of my car. Bottom line, I need to find some kind of eyecup to put on the Z9 that will work with glasses. I'm hoping some of you experienced folks can share an idea or two and possibly point me to something I can use. Luckily, I have a 2 year warranty on the scratch guard on the eyeglasses, so I've already ordered a replacement for the eyeglass lens. But I need some kind of new eyecup to put around the viewfinder on the Z9 so it doesn't happen again! All suggestions welcome!

I've had my Z9 about a year. Very early on, the rubber eyecup around the viewfinder pulled away. At first I would (frustratingly) put it back on, and after hearing from others about how they just left it off and it didn't really matter, I decided to do the same thing. This month I picked up new eyeglasses. Yesterday I was shooting for the entire day and got a little overzealous with some owls in a tree. Lots of shooting, and when I got home, I realized my new eyeglass lens on my left eye-has a pretty nasty scratch. I know it HAD to happen using the camera - cause every other minute if I took off my glasses, they went in the case on the front seat of my car. Bottom line, I need to find some kind of eyecup to put on the Z9 that will work with glasses. I'm hoping some of you experienced folks can share an idea or two and possibly point me to something I can use. Luckily, I have a 2 year warranty on the scratch guard on the eyeglasses, so I've already ordered a replacement for the eyeglass lens. But I need some kind of new eyecup to put around the viewfinder on the Z9 so it doesn't happen again! All suggestions we

I've had my Z9 about a year. Very early on, the rubber eyecup around the viewfinder pulled away. At first I would (frustratingly) put it back on, and after hearing from others about how they just left it off and it didn't really matter, I decided to do the same thing. This month I picked up new eyeglasses. Yesterday I was shooting for the entire day and got a little overzealous with some owls in a tree. Lots of shooting, and when I got home, I realized my new eyeglass lens on my left eye-has a pretty nasty scratch. I know it HAD to happen using the camera - cause every other minute if I took off my glasses, they went in the case on the front seat of my car. Bottom line, I need to find some kind of eyecup to put on the Z9 that will work with glasses. I'm hoping some of you experienced folks can share an idea or two and possibly point me to something I can use. Luckily, I have a 2 year warranty on the scratch guard on the eyeglasses, so I've already ordered a replacement for the eyeglass lens. But I need some kind of new eyecup to put around the viewfinder on the Z9 so it doesn't happen again! All suggestions welcome!
Zemlin gets my vote for eyecup and lens cap

Being a skinflint, I purchased the cheaper JJC eyecup and it worked well for the first couple of days. Then I thought I had lost it, only to find it sitting on the passenger seat of my car...each time I picked the camera up off the car seat, the cup would catch the back rest and the rubber part would detach. I superglued it on to stop this from happening, but this stopped me rotating the cup when using the camera in portrait.

I then bought the Hoodman and it has been excellent on my Z9 (several months now) and a vast improvement on the stock eyecup.

I purchased the Zemlin photo eyecup. I’ve been extremely happy with it. 6 people in a local photo club I belong to and shoot with also have it and feel the same way. Made with quality material and manufacturing, provides great shade and can be folded back

Last edited:
The Z 9 eyecup fits my Zf perfectly. Just ordered 2 more for my Z9's.
One caveat on the Zf is that the eyepiece mount interferes with hot shoe access. You can't slide out the cover or mount a flash/trigger with the eyepiece in place. Luckily the eyepiece pops on and off eazzy peazzy, and once something is in place on the hot shoe the eyepiece can go back on.

And thanks for the order! Shipping eyepiece orders today and tomorrow so it will go right out.

I have to wear glasses when working in closer range, because over the years my arms became too short :LOL: or - talking photoggraphy - my MFD isn't just good enough any more.
But instead of wearing glasses during photography I decided to use the in-camera diopter correction.
My friend gave me a JJC eyecup replacing the DK-33 and although the first one frustrated me, because the silicone part always came off, the one I have now (updated version with modified flange) is really great. But admitteldly I use it without glasses, so I am not sure whether it woud fit your needs.

May I ask why you decided to work with glasses rather than the in-camera diopter correction ?

At the moment I am working on a modification of my Kienothenik LCDVF, that I used with my D850, to fit the screen of my Z8, because this item has the option to use diopter correction as well, so that I can work without glasses with the view finder as well as with the rear display when doing macro.

I had exactly the same problem which I solved by purchasing a Z9 eyecup from ZEMLIN photo! All his stuff is made by him, and all is very high quality. Best of luck!

Back