Z9 to Z8

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I have been using this for several years. It is superior to the Z9 GPS. It picks up signals when no other can. https://www.solmeta.com/Product/show/id/24
Curious what makes it superior to Z9 GPS ... essentially GPS reception is most impacted by some form of interference with link to satellite such as canyons, heavy tree canopy builidings etc.. The GPS on my Z9 seems every bit as capable as any GPS unit I have ever tried and I have spent a lot of time in in the boonies :cool: I have been happy not needing another device to deal with. Some days I miss my topo maps, compass and old fashioned altimeter that changed elevation while your were laying in the tent (those barometric pressure changes could be dramatic LOL.

Curious what makes it superior to Z9 GPS ... essentially GPS reception is most impacted by some form of interference with link to satellite such as canyons, heavy tree canopy builidings etc.. The GPS on my Z9 seems every bit as capable as any GPS unit I have ever tried and I have spent a lot of time in in the boonies :cool: I have been happy not needing another device to deal with. Some days I miss my topo maps, compass and old fashioned altimeter that changed elevation while your were laying in the tent (those barometric pressure changes could be dramatic LOL.
When traveling in Asia an Africa my phone would not lock but this GPS did.
-Measures Barometric or GPS altitude
-Compass and Shooting direction
-Heading (useful for sail, flight and trekking)
-Attitudes of Pitch and Roll
-Has its own rechargeable battery (will not drain camera battery)

Don't get me wrong I will use the Z9 GPS but put this GPS on the Z8.

When traveling in Asia an Africa my phone would not lock but this GPS did.
-Measures Barometric or GPS altitude
-Compass and Shooting direction
-Heading (useful for sail, flight and trekking)
-Attitudes of Pitch and Roll
-Has its own rechargeable battery (will not drain camera battery)

Don't get me wrong I will use the Z9 GPS but put this GPS on the Z8.
Z9 does give GPS altitude but no "bread crumbs" if I wanted to track back that I know of :)

Best phone GPS I have had is on the iPhone mini I have now (fits better in my pocket) gps better than my old pro models. The only real use of the phone gps is for my e bird tracks and it works far better than I expected.

I think my favorite feature of the Z9 GPS is just having it imported with the image for the maps module on Light Room Classic.

If I am really in the boonies I still do not rely only on electronics, yup I am a bit paranoid, but thay are great when they work.

Z9 does give GPS altitude but no "bread crumbs" if I wanted to track back that I know of :)

Best phone GPS I have had is on the iPhone mini I have now (fits better in my pocket) gps better than my old pro models. The only real use of the phone gps is for my e bird tracks and it works far better than I expected.

I think my favorite feature of the Z9 GPS is just having it imported with the image for the maps module on Light Room Classic.

If I am really in the boonies I still do not rely only on electronics, yup I am a bit paranoid, but thay are great when they work.
This GPS also embeds the location data in the files.

Back