Z9 v A1 Autofocus

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Has anyone got any experience with the Z9 and A1 with bird photography in mind with the latest firmware has been installed on both systems and which is better . many thanks
Both the Z9 and A1 are capable bodies with excellent AF systems...if you take the time to learn the nuances of each. No AF system is flawless, although what has been achieved with the modern bodies is truly remarkable when you compare them to bodies of just a few years ago. If you're not invested in either system currently, I would suggest renting them and spending a day in the field to see which suits your shooting style best; if you're already heavily invested in glass, go with the body that you can use without completely starting over. Good luck either way.

Both cameras are good enough that the difference is in very narrowly defined situations and conditions.

The camera is just one part of a system. You have lenses, photographer skills and technique, and your prior camera experience. I would avoid both cameras as a novice, but a professional could pick up either one and be successful.

A question that will only end up in tears. Please read the various user experiences from Sony and Nikon users but can tell you that an A1 user is very happy with his kit and so is a Z9 user.
Good luck in choosing a body that fit your needs.

EdIted
see respective reviews by Thom Hogan as he writes ebooks on both cameras, as does @Steve . There are any number of Z9 threads in this forum, particularly this recent discussion on firmware 5.0 - and this thread.

And some more a1 Light reading

Last edited:

And some more Light reading

Wow I don’t remember creating that post but there it is lol. Crazy what 3 years does to one’s memory. I’m glad you found it.

Looking back, the status of the so-called 'Leading Camera' vacillates - to some degree at least - depending on the latest Firmware. Plus, the ratings differ between individual photographers.

These firmware leapfrogs may also influence how some rate a Z8 versus Z9 :LOL: At least judging by forum debates....

I agree with @EricBowles and others who underscore the lenses are more important.

I've used Z8 on the latest and greatest FW. I've only used Z9 up to the 3.X FW so not the latest and greatest 4.X. I'm assuming the Z8 on 2.0 is equivalent to Z9 on 4.X in regards to AF. I shoot A1 as my main camera so have much more experience with it. I also have A9III loaner and am testing that currently.
IMO the A1 is still better for action/BIF, acquiring when smaller in the frame and consistently tracking without dropping the subject as it approaches.
I think the Z8/Z9 are probably better at BEAF with non-action birds. I think the updated AF in the A9III has brought the Sony more on par with the Z8/Z9 for that. I still think Canon R5/R3 is better than both at the basic BEAF for non-action.

But I think both systems are really good and therefore if one is starting from scratch I'd base my decision more on things like lens selection, ergonomic preferences, UI preferences, other features like FPS or pre-capture or auto-capture or BEAF in video or IS/VR performance and not so much on the AF capabilities.

Here we go.......
Yep…Sony shooters will claim the A1 is better and Nikon the Z9. In reality…based on my recent trip to the Serengeti…sometimes one is better and sometimes the other…but both are more than good enough…at this point I don’t think the Sony or Nikon choice should be based on AF performance I put the myriad of other factors to be considered. Our Sony shooter on the trip got some BIF shots and I didn’t…and I got some she didn’t. She missed out on the lilac breasted rollers in flight, but that was more of an issue of shooting with a 600/f4 and TC with the requisite extra weight compared to the 600PF I was using making tracking harder. Neither was remarkably superior IMO…too many o5er factors from settings to panning skill to make a judgement either was better. We had 1 Sony and 7 Nikon shooters on the trip.

The last time photographylife.com had a field test was long before the firmware, but at that time the R5 was the clear winner. Also the R5ii is being teased now, so at least see what that is if you want the latest generation AF.

I read a report that OM Systems engineers think they have perfected subject identification in the mark 2 version of the OM-1. I will say that my camera seems to find the bird instantly and virtually nothing interferes with it. However, it does seem that the OM-1 mk 2 may have an OOF shot or two in a high-speed sequence.

You're splitting hairs between both bodies in terms of AF and you're likely not going to see a difference in them renting one for a weekend or maybe even a week. The differences will be very nuanced. But at least holding them both in hand to see how the economics feel to you, battery life, size, weight all may be more deciding factors for you.

The real difference in the systems many live in the glass. Nikon does have overall the best lineup and with the longer glass (400mm and longer) Nikon offers are far superior in terms of quality and price. So don't just limit your research to just the bodies

Agree with Mr Arbitrage above. He uses the A1 for very small active erratic birds in flight and thinks the A1 is better at that which is what I've heard as well. That's something I don't get a chance to do often and I think a lot of it is also about practice, so very hard for me to disagree with what he says about AF speed since I don't have much experience and besides I'm old and slow! LOL

I will say it's a very close in most other areas even most birds in flight. I do think the Nikon lens lineup is well ahead of any other company at the moment but these differences don't last long. So what do you do? Go try both and decide for yourself which feels better in your hands and works best for your shooting style and what you are after. Either way you will be a big winner!!!

Here’s the thing. Camera technology leap frogs each other so one month Camera A has ‘the best’ capability for ………… (fill in your own desire here) then Camera B betters the technology of Camera A. Then Camera C comes along with new & amazing technology and of course at some later point Cameras A and B catch up or exceeds Camera C and on it goes ad infinitum.

As others have said if you have already invested in Glass for a particular brand then stick with that brand unless your pockets are deep and you are willing to lay out the $$$ to move to another brand as an alternative or as a second kit.

If you are starting from scratch as said by others rent each camera & lens kit you are interested in for a few days of intensive use then purchase the brand that you found intuitive to use, that had the ergonomics you are comfortable with and the appropriate selection of accessories you require.

For me: I don’t obsess over the performance of the brand I use comparative to other brands as the game of leap frog will take care of any performance discrepancies sooner or later.

I bought my first camera many years ago based purely on ergonomics and I haven’t looked back.

Good luck with your decision making journey and watch out for the ‘Instant Gratification’ bug that likes to influence our purchasing efforts.

Here’s the thing. Camera technology leap frogs each other so one month Camera A has ‘the best’ capability for ………… (fill in your own desire here) then Camera B betters the technology of Camera A. Then Camera C comes along with new & amazing technology and of course at some later point Cameras A and B catch up or exceeds Camera C and on it goes ad infinitum.

As others have said if you have already invested in Glass for a particular brand then stick with that brand unless your pockets are deep and you are willing to lay out the $$$ to move to another brand as an alternative or as a second kit.

If you are starting from scratch as said by others rent each camera & lens kit you are interested in for a few days of intensive use then purchase the brand that you found intuitive to use, that had the ergonomics you are comfortable with and the appropriate selection of accessories you require.

For me: I don’t obsess over the performance of the brand I use comparative to other brands as the game of leap frog will take care of any performance discrepancies sooner or later.

I bought my first camera many years ago based purely on ergonomics and I haven’t looked back.

Good luck with your decision making journey and watch out for the ‘Instant Gratification’ bug that likes to influence our purchasing efforts.
While this is generally good advice, I don't agree with it entirely. This comes from a former Canon user who had been shooting their gear exclusively since the late 1980's when they introduced the USM, AF lenses. I shoot Nikon now. Technological innovation is driving the photography market in ways we've never seen. Lenses which used to be largely immutable are being replaced by improved (lighter weight, sharper, or lesser expensive) versions, at an unprecedented pace. Likewise, a similar refrain applies to bodies where we now see the emergence of the global shutter, unheard of frame rates, pre-capture, and who knows what is next on the horizon? We haven't reached the interchangeable or disposable scale (yet) though I no longer regard a "brand" in the way that I once had. Innovation begets change or is it the other way around? Either way, the life cycles of products are much shorter and rather than obsessing over a brand, I choose equipment which facilitates the type of photography that I try to capture rather than waiting years for products which may or may not appear.

The only problem with frogs is when there is a 3 year old frog that hasn't been leapt over yet and it is about to make its next leap in 6 months.
😜
Clock's a ticking....tik, tok, tik, tok
That may be true for frogs but not necessarily for Canon. I waited for years for high quality, lightweight, mid-priced lenses. I'm still waiting.

I find the two AF systems very close, both with their strengths and weaknesses. I wouldn't get one over the other just based on AF. For me, I find Sony grabs foregrounds more readily than Nikon (frustrating) BUT I find it also seems a bit more eager to grab onto smaller, erratic birds (good). So, pick your poison I suppose - neither is perfect, but both are effective. (Although, I do think the Sony AF system is easier to learn and a bit more forgiving for improper AF choices.)

Back