Zemlin hood for lesser heat haze ?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I own the z 800pf and consider buying a Zemlin hood to replace the OEM one.
If I’ll go that route I’m thinking about the Zemlin’s two piece model or a shorter model than the OEM.
My reasoning buying the Zemlin is to address two issues:
1. It will shorten the lens make it easier to handle and pack
2. MABYE it COULD lesser the heat haze issues (?)

My dilemma: I really like the OEM one , especially for its rain protection (I like to shoot in the rain!) and physical protection when walking thru bushy areas and the like.
However , The price of the Zemlin is quite steep and I wouldn’t buy it just for the sake of easier handling and packing , for those I can manage with the OEM hood+ OEM leather cap or (even easier) with a Zemlin CAP . It maybe a bit more hassle but not that bad.
And here comes reasoning #2 heat haze advantage of the Zemlin hood - if that really a thing, it could be a justification to buy the Zemlin🙂
Do you think a shorter hood like the Zemlin can have advantages mitigating heat haze?
I live in quite hot climate - similar to Los Angels area - So usually not have to deal with cold temperatures heat haze, but sometimes even in moderate temps chilly mornings I do have the feeling that the big black OEM hood is getting warmer by the sun much faster than the surrounding air and creating heat haze issues. It just a feeling, never actually tested it though…

long story short, do you think big hoods can create heat haze even on “acclimatised “ lenses (lenses that been long enough time outside) AND IF SO , does a shorter hood can mitigate it ?

Pf lenses are very affected by light hitting the lens and side lights, for that reason alone I would not use a shorter lens hood in the sun. I never use the original lens hoods for a matter of bulk in the backpack I use the Travel Hood Lenscoat that if necessary I can mount, on some tele, further back making them shorter. Other factor I tend to use the digital camo color because it is lighter and less affected by the heat effect.
I don't think the first few rays of sunshine can create hot air inside the lens hood, through a clear, "cloth" surface even less😉

Steve had a video on the impact of the hood in certain temperature situations. But the difference between hoods has to be slight. Maybe related to the difference in volume between the two? If you want the hood and baby doesn't need a new pair of shoes go for it. I personally would save for lenses.

Thanks,
Pf lenses are very affected by light hitting the lens and side lights, for that reason alone I would not use a shorter lens hood in the sun. I never use the original lens hoods for a matter of bulk in the backpack I use the Travel Hood Lenscoat that if necessary I can mount, on some tele, further back making them shorter. Other factor I tend to use the digital camo color because it is lighter and less affected by the heat effect.
I don't think the first few rays of sunshine can create hot air inside the lens hood, through a clear, "cloth" surface even less😉
Thanks,
I do not know if big lens hoods even create heat issues in acclimatized lenses, maybe it’s not a real problem whatsoever, but if it does I don’t mean the first rays of sunrise, I’m thinking more on instances when I sit relatively still for quite some time in the first hours after sunrise (until the light is to hard to shoot) and than the hood can heat up.

Last edited:
From what I understand of the lens hood issue the problem is a differential in temperature between the lens and the surrounding atmosphere. This would happen if you bring the lens for instance from a warm location to a cold one. The lens hood holds air in so warmer air stays in the hood and you can get a difference that affects sharpness,

If you have had the lens in the ambient environment long enough that the lens is now the same temperature as the surrounding atmosphere the difference in temperature no longer exists and you should not have the problem.

It is perhaps possible that if you are shooting in hot sun the heat on the (black) lens hood may warm the hood up and create a temperature differential.

In general a shorter lens hood will both absorb heat less and also allow for dispersal of excess heat than a longer hood.

I suspect applying a lens cover may affect the heat issue. If you buy a Zemlin hood will you also be able to buy a lens cover for the hood? If not you lose that option.

I highly doubt the Zemlin hood will offer much advantage to solving the unequal t3mperature issue.

Zemlin makes nice stuff and their hoods are well constructed and handle well. Also having a way to shorten the hood is convenient for packing. But I would not think the heat issue is a reason to buy the hood.

I had pretty significant heat differential issues when I was shooting the 800PF lens. I think that the hood, magnification, and pf elements might have combined to exasperate the issue. This problem may have been more specific to me, as I live in MN and shoot over water, ice, and/or snow fields more than most. I have used both the OEM hood and the short Zemlin hood. I don't think the heat haze was reduced any more with the Zemlin hood than the OEM hood. Regarding why the Zemlin hood... well, I do think the convenience of a smaller hood that does not need to be reversed is well worth the purchase... but that's my opinion.
Interestingly, I just returned from a prolonged winter photography shoot in Japan. I used both the 180-600 w/OEM hood and the 400 f2.8S w/ Zemlin hood. I found that the issue of heat haze was not nearly as significant in Japan as it is on my own patch. While in Japan, I was shooting over water, ice, snow, and at varied distances.
So what's going on?... Well, I was not running from a warm vehicle to a cold spot in Japan. In contrast to what occurs at home, I was in the field for hours and this allowed the gear to acclimate inside and out.
cheers,
bruce

Last edited:
I am not real sure how relevant this is, but I used to shoot 1,000 yard buffalo gun matches. We had to contend with heat risers at every match. Sometimes it was earlier in the day than at other times but they were always there to distort our views of the targets. At multi-day matches the relay starting times were rotated so everyone got a chance for the best and worst of conditions. And, all of this with iron sights, no optics involved but the same issues.

Actually, in many respects, the spotters using high powered glass had it worse because they were expected to call the point of impact at 1,000 yards so the shooter could correct their aim. The 60x glass caused the heat risers to make the target a blur. The really good shooters knew when to ignore the spotter’s call and when to adjust.

To fit my 400mm f2.8 in the bag I use a Lens Coat foldable hood which has worked fine. I can't give you any tips on the heat haze issue as I haven´t had to deal with that so far but to save space the lens Coat hood is fine.

Long story short and @Steve addressed it the Zemlin hood nor any other hood will give you any advantage over atmospheric distortion. After any trapped hot air is dispelled from a hood distortion is determined by "distance" from subject and atmospheric conditions temps, ground/water shot over, humidity etc..

Z9 and Z800pf in use since 5-1-2022

I use the Zemlin 2 piece hood so that I can have a choice between standard length or shorter. If wind is strong or picks up I can take off the front part of the lens and still have hood protection without the big sail effect. The Zemlin lens cap is fantastic.

Last edited:
Back