4 New Z6iii Setup Videos!

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Steve

Admin
Staff member
Supporting Member
Marketplace
I just dropped FOUR new Z6iii setup videos especially for wildlife and bird photographers! (Although, I have a feeling they'll help anyone get a start on setting up their new Z6iii.)

• The first video covers the Setup Menu.
  • The second video covers the Photo Shooting Menu.
  • The third video covers the first part of the Custom Settings Menu.
  • The fourth video covers the Controls menu in the Custom Settings Menu (the "I" end and button setup)

This is a MASSIVE amount of information and should help anyone out there get a jump start with their new Z6iii. Also, it's just the tip of the iceberg - I'm actively working on the NEW Z6iii Setup Guide For Wildlife Photography and it's gonna be a must-have for any Z6iii owner. That's coming soon, but for now, those videos should get you started :)

Also, please share this with anyone you know who is getting or has a Z6iii :)

Video 1 - Z6iii Setup Guide for the Setup Menu

Video 2 Z6iii Setup Guide for the Photo Shooting Menu

Video 3 - Z6iii Setup Guide for the Custom Settings Menu (Focus, Metering/Exposure, Timers/AE Lock, Shooting/Display)

Video 4 Z6iii Setup Guide for the Custom Settings Menu (Control Setup)

Steve, when you were discussing virtual horizon type in video 3, I had a hearty chuckle. I’m definitely Type A on that setting. Don’t judge me. 😂

As a teen I fancied myself as a wannabe fighter pilot. Poor eyesight was my downfall, unfortunately.

Hmmm at around the 7:30 min mark of Video 3, @Steve mentions Blocked Shot AF response doesn't really work when subject detection is being used. What happens is if subject detection is lost, the camera reverts back to the AF area it was set on. That is not what I see in these forum posts here.

Hmmm at around the 7:30 min mark of Video 3, @Steve mentions Blocked Shot AF response doesn't really work when subject detection is being used. What happens is if subject detection is lost, the camera reverts back to the AF area it was set on. That is not what I see in these forum posts here.
I've played with it before and I can clearly see the delay in normal AF where's there's none when the camera loses Subject Detection tracking.

Got the e mail just as I was setting mine up. Best tip of all was setting up vid record button to access af area mode and reversing command dial to the rear for making the change. I have resricted af area modes restricted and I can move from wide area custom 5x3 (with subject recognition animal) to my standby single point when the going gets tough in a flash push turn done :) Thank You ! Have set up U1 for birds and U2 for indoor low light people. So far tested with Z600 f/6.3 pf out birding ... delighted that I did not have to do the roll to make it work :) Animal not as good as bird but not bad. Overall it did well have not tested it yet in very low light outdoors. Indoor in low light with Tamron Z mount 35-150 f/2-2.8 amazing !!

Got the e mail just as I was setting mine up. Best tip of all was setting up vid record button to access af area mode and reversing command dial to the rear for making the change. I have resricted af area modes restricted and I can move from wide area custom 5x3 (with subject recognition animal) to my standby single point when the going gets tough in a flash push turn done :) Thank You ! Have set up U1 for birds and U2 for indoor low light people. So far tested with Z600 f/6.3 pf out birding ... delighted that I did not have to do the roll to make it work :) Animal not as good as bird but not bad. Overall it did well have not tested it yet in very low light outdoors. Indoor in low light with Tamron Z mount 35-150 f/2-2.8 amazing !!
Great report Ken. Curious why you have decided on 5x3. I have done the obligatory indoor cat shots with my Plena and I am very happy. I hope to try some other lens tomorrow. ISO 1600 on the one below.

Great report Ken. Curious why you have decided on 5x3. I have done the obligatory indoor cat shots with my Plena and I am very happy. I hope to try some other lens tomorrow. ISO 1600 on the one below.

I settled on 5x3 for some time now it seems to fit the majority of pop up bird situation I run into. With 3d+afon on my afon button, the other wide area custom at 1x1 + afon on fn1 and auto area + afon on fn2. Not a lot of bird activity today but some gulls and a bald eagle for bif and wood duck and ducklings around.

I have been busy in the field and with e bird but here are some test shots of our cat indoors the day the Z6III 6-27. These are jpgs exported from nx studio imported to LRC and then exported with the preset for this forum as they came out of the Z6III no other changes. The first with the shallow depth of field and very high ISO 20,000 to 45,600 were with the Z600 f/6.3 pf which I had on when setting up the camera. I have not processed anything yet using LRC and noise reduction as needed.
Z63_0035.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
Z63_0047.jpg
Z63_0099.jpg
Z63_0533.jpg

I have been busy in the field and with e bird but here are some test shots of our cat indoors the day the Z6III 6-27. These are jpgs exported from nx studio imported to LRC and then exported with the preset for this forum as they came out of the Z6III no other changes. The first with the shallow depth of field and very high ISO 20,000 to 45,600 were with the Z600 f/6.3 pf which I had on when setting up the camera. I have not processed anything yet using LRC and noise reduction as needed.View attachment 92350View attachment 92351View attachment 92352View attachment 92353
Pretty amazing for those ISO's. Almost makes me smile more than the cats.

I was delighted to see how it worked with the Z600 f/6.3 at radical ISO ... I just processed those first three in LRC with Denoise AI it would need more work if I had serious owl photos but did ok. Now to go through and look at the first birding outing with it after dinner :)
Z63_0035-Enhanced-NR.jpg
Z63_0047-Enhanced-NR.jpg
Z63_0099-Enhanced-NR.jpg
Pretty amazing for those ISO's. Almost makes me smile more than the cats.

I guess this is confirmation that Steve is a big believer in the Z6III as a viable wildlife camera! ;) :)
:) compared to my Z9's I think it will do great indoors on people (sorta wildlife) and outdoors for very low light birds. I bought it as a niche camera and so far it appears it will fit that niche. Things like an ID only shot on an owl at ISO 45,600

Thank you @Steve
I don’t have a Z6iii (yet!) but the tip about setting the viewfinder image to small for spectacles is a game changer on my Z6ii. I probably skipped over this setting on day one, thinking why would I ever want a smaller viewfinder, and I’ve sometimes struggled to see the full frame ever since when wearing glasses 😂

@Steve WOW - you have been busy. Thanks for all the great info. WHen do you have time to do your own photography?
LOL, I'm doing it now. I've been on the road for a month now with another month to go - all while writing the Z6iii guide and shooting in the morning and evening. It's sleep that's the problem. Up at 4:30 AM, to bed at 9:30 - basically, it's impossible to get 8 hours of sleep (although, I do take a morning off here and there and naps help :) )

Steve,
As usual your videos are indispensable, educational and always entertaining.
As Ken said, my favorite tip is setting up the vid button for area mode and reversing the command dials is the bees knees.

Back