Are kangaroos dying out?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Winston Churchill (Sir)

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Despite living in the best country in the world :p I have never seen a Down-under kangeroo in my life.
Where are the photos of these things from you people who live down-under?

Surely you have some "inside information" and can share a couple of baby-in-pouch set-ups? That must make for really great photos I think.
The odd photo here on the forum is very thin (from what I have been able to find)

Can you guys post some? Or do they not count as wildlife?

From February 2023
20230211  205.JPG
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Eastern Grey

20230217  1030.JPG

Western Gray
20130709_1924.JPG

Wallaby in the Bunya Mountains

Last edited:
Thank you! Do you live in Oz? Is the Kangeroo something ppl avoid photographing?

I understand there are 4 different species in Oz but anyone in Texas can post photos of their kagaroo pets too

Thank you! Do you live in Oz? Is the Kangeroo something ppl avoid photographing?

I understand there are 4 different species in Oz but anyone in Texas can post photos of their kagaroo pets too
I'm from Florida. I have a couple of friends in Oz and have visited 6 times, mostly in Queensland (Gold Coast to Port Douglas, short outback trip), with trips to northern New South Wales, Tasmania and Western Australia. Kangeroos are common like White-tailed Deer in the states. They seem to be crepuscular or in shade in the daytime. Lighting can be difficult at times.

I don't live in Australia but I've travelled there for business a few times, mostly to Canberra. Lots of kangaroos in and around Canberra. I've also been to Sydney, Melbourne and Bendigo, but have only seen kangaroos in Canberra. But I've seen them every time I've been there, sometimes in a city park.

Kangaroos with baby BCG 2018-06-16_001_D752806-2.jpg

Kangaroo BCG Z7I_5730.jpg

Kangaroo BCG Z7I_5764.jpg
Kangaroos BCG 2018-06-09_001_D752762.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kangaroo

Perhaps TLDR for some, in short kangaroos are not dying out, they have no predators as such only humans driving vehicles
My heading is VERY tongue in cheek - because we see so few Kangaroos. I mean WHY. I know they are not dying out.

There is a whole country down under as well as other places that have kangaroos - yet is is seldom photographed and posted on forums. We seldom see anything about them. Yet they are plentiful - and surely they can make for excellent photos as well. Unless they are regarded as uninteresting and not worth a photo - like I would often just drive past lions as I don't want to shoot them anymore? I am trying to encourage some people to post them!

I don't live in Australia but I've travelled there for business a few times, mostly to Canberra. Lots of kangaroos in and around Canberra. I've also been to Sydney, Melbourne and Bendigo, but have only seen kangaroos in Canberra. But I've seen them every time I've been there, sometimes in a city park.
Thank you - I really enjoy seeing these. If I ever get down there - I will spend days photographing them.

Thank you - I really enjoy seeing these. If I ever get down there - I will spend days photographing them.
The times I’ve been there I was on business so I had limited time for photography, but sometime soon I’m going to visit on vacation. Australia has so much unique and interesting wildlife I could never visit enough to photograph all I want to shoot.

Despite living in the best country in the world :p I have never seen a Down-under kangeroo in my life.
Where are the photos of these things from you people who live down-under?

Surely you have some "inside information" and can share a couple of baby-in-pouch set-ups? That must make for really great photos I think.
The odd photo here on the forum is very thin (from what I have been able to find)

Can you guys post some? Or do they not count as wildlife?

I’m fortunate to live within a few hundred metres of a state park. Lots of Roos, some even come down to graze on the lawns in tough times.
As for wildlife, they’re wild alright....make no mistake. Something taller than you, kicking out with huge feet and big claws is a frightening sight.
I had a photo but for some reason the options are greyed out

Pademelon, Bennetts Wallaby, Bettong, Long-nose Potteroo are similar to kangaroos all live next door and in the surrounding areas, some come into the yard if I do not remember to shut the gate.
A couple of images here both taken within 50 metres of my backdoor.

Guess it is a matter of them being so common here I/we become somewhat blase about them.

I will sort through my old images to post a few mainland specimens.

Rufous rat-kangaroo (Aepyprymnus rufescens)
R7251286_BCG.jpg

Pretty Face
R8145787_BCG.jpg

Eastern Grey, male not to be taken lightly when they are the size of this one.
R8225850_BCG.jpg

You should have LOTS!

I understand that they are real problematic on the road too- and hitting one of them is something I wish on no enemy of mine.
Yep, they make a mess. Sometimes the damage is them running into you. Crashing into the side of your car or jumping on the bonnet, the hood for our American and Canadian friends.

Thanks - the Long-nose Potteroo and rat-kangaroo are rather beautiful I think - and thanks for sharing the pics . I grew up with mice and rats - as pets - so I think I relate nicely to these
Richard - the second photo with legs and stuff hanging out - love it

A family friend of ours owns a large private ranch in Central Texas (around 4,000 acres), where he had a small self-sustaining population of Red Kangaroos. He maintained a population of 20-25 on the property for many years, but unfortunately an exceptionally harsh freeze killed most of them, and an increase in the local Coyote population prevented most of the young from getting to breeding age. I took these photos of the last two remaining males 4 or 5 years ago while visiting.

They certainly aren’t rare in their native habitat, but are very interesting animals…and I’m glad I got the chance to be around them.

IMG_8077.jpeg

IMG_8078.jpeg

IMG_8080.jpeg

IMG_8081.jpeg
IMG_8075.jpeg

A family friend of ours owns a large private ranch in Central Texas (around 4,000 acres), where he had a small self-sustaining population of Red Kangaroos. He maintained a population of 20-25 on the property for many years, but unfortunately an exceptionally harsh freeze killed most of them, and an increase in the local Coyote population prevented most of the young from getting to breeding age. I took these photos of the last two remaining males 4 or 5 years ago while visiting.

They certainly aren’t rare in their native habitat, but are very interesting animals…and I’m glad I got the chance to be around them.

View attachment 68149
View attachment 68150
View attachment 68151
View attachment 68152View attachment 68153

Interesting. We have a small population of wallabies here on Oahu in the mountains above Honolulu. They were released close to 100 years ago, and interestingly have evolved enough in that short time to be considered a separate sub-species from the wallabies they descended from. They mostly stay on private property so you can't see them, but the Sierra Club has taken group hikes there with the owners permission. One of them did come out into town a few years ago for a few days.

Kangaroos are definitely not dying out! There are estimated to be between 35-50 million of them!

Being from Australia, I don't post that many Kangaroo photos as it seems so cliche and an easy target and thus I feel not many people would want to see them. However, I love Kangaroos and Wallabies as they are very photogenic. A bit of trivia, the Australian Coat of Arms has a Kangaroo and Emu aside the of the Australian Shield and they were chosen as neither animal will take a backward step. Sorry for so many photos, but...

Red-necked Wallaby

original.jpg

Eastern Grey

original.jpg

Wallaby

original.jpg

Big Red Kangaroo. These guys can grow to be huge. The largest has been measured at 2.1mts tall and weighed 91kg!

original.jpg

An albino Kangaroo

original.jpg

No, he's not dead, but I have never seen a Kangaroo so relaxed

original.jpg

Even with another Kangaroo licking inside his ear he didn't flinch!

original.jpg

Swamp Wallaby

original.jpg

Yellow-footed Rock Wallaby - quite rare

original.jpg

Last edited:
Excellent shots Lance. I love the albino. I had a large grey kangaroo hit my car once. I had stopped when I saw him, and he stopped too, and then ploughed into my driver’s side door at full speed ! Smashed my mirror and a big dent, but I hate to think how his head must have felt! He hopped off as if nothing had happened

I don't post that many Kangaroo photos as it seems so cliche and an easy target and thus I feel not many people would want to see them.
Thank you - this is the exact reason why I baited you and others! 😂

It might be cliched for YOU - but the rest of us that don't have them around - should see more of them - Given the numbers and how important they are in Oz - why not let us see these beautiful photos. And don't tell me those handbag-babies don't have a cute factor of 10.

Your photos are really lovely. Keep posting

Excellent shots Lance. I love the albino. I had a large grey kangaroo hit my car once. I had stopped when I saw him, and he stopped too, and then ploughed into my driver’s side door at full speed ! Smashed my mirror and a big dent, but I hate to think how his head must have felt! He hopped off as if nothing had happened
Thanks very much, Iain. Much appreciated!

Yes, Kangaroos are not the smartest of animals. Worse are Wombats if they hit your car, it's like hitting a boulder, they're just a ball of muscle.

Back