Are kangaroos dying out?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Thank you - this is the exact reason why I baited you and others! 😂

It might be cliched for YOU - but the rest of us that don't have them around - should see more of them - Given the numbers and how important they are in Oz - why not let us see these beautiful photos. And don't tell me those handbag-babies don't have a cute factor of 10.

Your photos are really lovely. Keep posting
Thanks very much, Elsa. Much appreciated!

Always happy to post photos of our Kangaroos and related species as long as people want to see them.🙂 Thank you for starting the thread.

Kangaroos are definitely not dying out! There are estimated to be between 35-50 million of them!

Being from Australia, I don't post that many Kangaroo photos as it seems so cliche and an easy target and thus I feel not many people would want to see them. However, I love Kangaroos and Wallabies as they are very photogenic. A bit of trivia, the Australian Coat of Arms has a Kangaroo and Emu aside the of the Australian Shield and they were chosen as neither animal will take a backward step. Sorry for so many photos, but...

Eastern Grey

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

Big Red. These guys can grow to be huge. The largest has been measured at 2.1mts tall and weighed 91kg!

original.jpg

An albino Kangaroo

original.jpg

No, he's not dead, but I have never seen a Kangaroo so relaxed

original.jpg

Even with another Kangaroo licking inside his ear he didn't flinch!

original.jpg

Swamp Wallaby

original.jpg

Yellow-footed Rock Wallaby - quite rare

original.jpg
Nice shots Lance! I’m like Elsa, I like seeing photos of them!

Despite living in the best country in the world :p I have never seen a Down-under kangeroo in my life.
Where are the photos of these things from you people who live down-under?

Surely you have some "inside information" and can share a couple of baby-in-pouch set-ups? That must make for really great photos I think.
The odd photo here on the forum is very thin (from what I have been able to find)

Can you guys post some? Or do they not count as wildlife?
Great thread Elsa! I think you should share more lion photos! Can’t say we see alot of them in the states!

Thank you - this is the exact reason why I baited you and others! 😂

It might be cliched for YOU - but the rest of us that don't have them around - should see more of them - Given the numbers and how important they are in Oz - why not let us see these beautiful photos. And don't tell me those handbag-babies don't have a cute factor of 10.

Your photos are really lovely. Keep posting

Exactly, the rest of us like them. I understand the others that see them as cliched, my ex-wife is Australian and couldn't understand why I liked taking pictures of kangaroos, but it is still interesting to me.

Despite living in the best country in the world :p I have never seen a Down-under kangeroo in my life.

Surely you have some "inside information" and can share a couple of baby-in-pouch set-ups? That must make for really great photos I think.
The odd photo here on the forum is very thin (from what I have been able to find)

In Australia we think of kangaroos the way other countries think of rabbits and just about as smart.
Since moving next to a national park we have Kangaroos and wallabies in the garden and once even some Deer but I dont know how that happened... 🦘

wallaby.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

In Australia we think of kangaroos the way other countries think of rabbits and just about as smart.
Since moving next to a national park we have Kangaroos and wallabies in the garden and once even some Deer but I dont know how that happened... 🦘
what - are you allowed to eat them? 😂
I am aware what people down under think about Kangaroos. Understandably so. btw - we dont have that many rabbits..

Excellent shots Lance. I love the albino. I had a large grey kangaroo hit my car once. I had stopped when I saw him, and he stopped too, and then ploughed into my driver’s side door at full speed ! Smashed my mirror and a big dent, but I hate to think how his head must have felt! He hopped off as if nothing had happened
I had a kangaroo at a zoo charge head on into the fence at me. I think he was intimidated by the kid in front me that was crying because that's where he was looking at. They can be very aggressive. :)

Living in OZ is wonderful, i have lived in America and Europe and just found my home of Australia like a large country town by comparison LOL.

We even have roos in our local botanical gardens as well, their all pretty safe, elsewhere in the bush the big reds or big mails can have attitude, if you get to close to the dominant male they can grab you with their small arms around your neck and hold you to their chest, they then sand on their tail and disembowel you with their massive legs, its simply quick and lethal.

My neighbor only this week said he saw the biggest roo ever in the gardens, they mostly are out mornings and dusk.

But yes to us their like seeing a seagull, yet fascinating to people from overseas.

Kangaroos are definitely not dying out! There are estimated to be between 35-50 million of them!

Being from Australia, I don't post that many Kangaroo photos as it seems so cliche and an easy target and thus I feel not many people would want to see them. However, I love Kangaroos and Wallabies as they are very photogenic. A bit of trivia, the Australian Coat of Arms has a Kangaroo and Emu aside the of the Australian Shield and they were chosen as neither animal will take a backward step. Sorry for so many photos, but...

Red-necked Wallaby

original.jpg

Eastern Grey

original.jpg

Wallaby

original.jpg

Big Red Kangaroo. These guys can grow to be huge. The largest has been measured at 2.1mts tall and weighed 91kg!

original.jpg

An albino Kangaroo

original.jpg

No, he's not dead, but I have never seen a Kangaroo so relaxed

original.jpg

Even with another Kangaroo licking inside his ear he didn't flinch!

original.jpg

Swamp Wallaby

original.jpg

Yellow-footed Rock Wallaby - quite rare

original.jpg
I love this set... You have such an amazing diversity of images... having chased an albino deer these past two years, yours reminds me of the casual way that my subject moves about.
I always teach my bio student in the US that kangaroos are the "deer of Australia." When exploring patterns of ecology and evolution, kangaroos occupy a similar niche as our deer, exhibit great biological diversity in form and habit, and have some convergent phenotypes with our placental equivalents. I often share a side by side portrait of each and let the students predict why they seem so similar.
Anyway... thanks for sharing these!
bruce

Last edited:

Checkout Duade Paton on YouTube.

I love this set... You have such an amazing diversity of images... having chased an albino deer these past two years, yours reminds me of the casual way that my subject moves about.
I always teach my bio student in the US that kangaroos are the "deer of Australia." When exploring patterns of ecology and evolution, kangaroos occupy a similar niche as our deer, exhibit great biological diversity in form and habit, and have some convergent phenotypes with our placental equivalents. I often share a side by side portrait of each and let the students predict why they seem so similar.
Anyway... thanks for sharing these!
bruce
Thank you ever so much for your lovely comments, Bruce. Your thoughts on your deer and our kangaroos is a good observation. The only real difference is that in some years we have droughts with the ensuing fires and then some years we have floods are what keeps our kangaroo numbers in check, whilst in the US and Canada, there are a few more predators that we do not have.

Last edited:
We have been blessed with such wonderful beautiful creatures in such abundance like the Kangaroos, their meat to consume is super healthy lean and incredibly nutritious.

Sadly....

"Kangaroo meat is a popular protein to feed cats and dogs these days. It's considered a lean, nutritious and organic meat, a wild and natural meat that hasn't been farmed. More and more pet foods made with kangaroo are showing up on the shelves all the time."

Yet here we buy at top dollar meat often full of hormones, full of fat from being feed grain, pumped up with water during processing an packing to add weight, full of mar-belling sold as being good for flavour and cooking aslo from being feed grain, to end up with health issues all so it can be 1) controlled 2) for profits.

Have we got the cart before the horse.

Its like feeding venison to our dogs and cats while we eat caged pigs and caged chickens often full of antibiotics and hormones.

Chickens from an egg to the fork in 29 days.

Back