Are kangaroos dying out?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

@Winston Churchill (Sir) The real tough task is to get them photographed in motion.
The Big Reds of the outback are known to keep up with vehicles traveling along the road, I estimate we may have been going about 50kph(30mph) and this one had no trouble keeping up.
Old image from 2011.
RK_290711_BCG.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

@Winston Churchill (Sir) The real tough task is to get them photographed in motion.
The Big Reds of the outback are known to keep up with vehicles traveling along the road, I estimate we may have been going about 50kph(30mph) and this one had no trouble keeping up.
Old image from 2011.
thank you! I have seen them run in movies /documentaries, fight like crazy, jump rather high, and realised they are not your everyday garden variety marsupial on the side of the road. I find them fascinating and wish more people would shoot them - so much potential there!

Glad you are enjoying the images, I am as well.
Suggest photograph rather than than shoot in this context?
Shooting(killing) of kangaroos is a contentious issue here and around the world.
I'm sorry :p - I think its a South African thing - we shoot 😂 , then frame and hang our "victims"

I did mean photograph of course - no disrespect meant to anyone.

View attachment 68673
This was in a wetlands park in Canberra. I had been walking across a footbridge when I heard very loud footsteps coming. He saw me, stopped and ran the other way. I got him as he was running away.

On another trip there I was about to cross that same bridge when I heard two of them coming (apparently how they cross the stream). I was about 20 meters from the bridge and I just stopped with no time to get away. They came right at me, one of them turned across right behind me within 2 meters (I was facing the other way so as not to appear agressive) and the other went past me and immediately turned across in front of me also within 2 meters. They were going very fast. A truly scary, but also cool, situation.

KangarooBCG _D753882-Enhanced.jpg

Last edited:
Exactly, the rest of us like them. I understand the others that see them as cliched, my ex-wife is Australian and couldn't understand why I liked taking pictures of kangaroos, but it is still interesting to me.
I'm from the midwest US originally and enjoy photographing cows (and horses). My wife can't understand that either, and I don't know of any cow photo forums.

I'm from the midwest US originally and enjoy photographing cows (and horses). My wife can't understand that either, and I don't know of any cow photo forums.
Don't be shy - post away - (since I started the thread I am sure I can de-rail it too)
220825 Jim Bredenkamp 420.jpg

Being an Aussie,i thought i should contribute to this very popular post,a few pics from a small Nat Park about 5km from my house.Image 1 was a scary sight i thought he had been working out,the only way around him was to walk about five feet from him,luckily he wasnt interested in any thing but eating.
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg

Being an Aussie,i thought i should contribute to this very popular post,a few pics from a small Nat Park about 5km from my house.Image 1 was a scary sight i thought he had been working out,the only way around him was to walk about five feet from him,luckily he wasnt interested in any thing but eating.
Nice to see the Aussies coming to the party
This is only a popular thread as I click baited you all 😂
on a serious note - thank you for posting. That first image - amazing the muscle tone...

Last edited:
Pray tell? is this moving cattle over great distances? Like they did in way back then with Canningstock?
Livestock producers can take their sheep/cattle on designated "travelling stock routes" which can be alongside roads, so use is made of the feed when there may not be enough on the farms/stations or used as a method to move stock.
These thoroughfares have become known colloquially as the "long paddock".
This link has more details for your perusal.

Livestock producers can take their sheep/cattle on designated "travelling stock routes" which can be alongside roads, so use is made of the feed when there may not be enough on the farms/stations or used as a method to move stock.
These thoroughfares have become known colloquially as the "long paddock".
This link has more details for your perusal.
thanks - I was on the right track (or route 😂 ) with Canningstock then

Nice to see the Aussies coming to the party
This is only a popular thread as I click baited you all 😂
ob a serious note - thank you for posting. That first image - amazing the muscle tone...
Thanks so much for looking yeah he was a big boy #1 very intimidating there was another person walking past at the time they went about ten feet into the brush to walk around him

Being an Aussie,i thought i should contribute to this very popular post,a few pics from a small Nat Park about 5km from my house.Image 1 was a scary sight i thought he had been working out,the only way around him was to walk about five feet from him,luckily he wasnt interested in any thing but eating.View attachment 68757View attachment 68758View attachment 68759View attachment 68760View attachment 68761View attachment 68762
That first shot is pretty amazing. Your statement implies that kangaroos are aggressive, is this an accurate depiction? I only ask because I am often within 15 feet of full grown bucks (deer) and have only once thought I was going to get charged. While some deer are skittish, others are very tolerant of humans... especially months after the hunting season ends.

bruce

Back