Are Lens Hoods Wrecking Your Photos In Cold Weather?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

The tip comes at incredible timing. Just picked up the 1.4E III converter, strapped in on my Nikon 200-500 lens, went outside in 12 deg temp took a bunch of photos, came back in to see my wonderful new CLOSE up shots and low and behold, all, blurred, very soft!! I was thinking there was something wrong with the converter. Went back out several more times with the same results. Time to try again with no lens hood and then leaving the rig outside for an hour and try again. Thanks Steve, I am breathing a sigh of relief!!

I had blurry photos with 1.4III and 200-500 and I live in the tropics. In my case that TC just wasn't sharp with the 200-500, although it is very sharp with the 300 PF and 500 PF. So you may need to experiment to see which issue it is.

My fellow astrophotographers are probably chuckling to themselves and nodding their heads watching this video. We've been aware of and dealing with this phenomenon for a long time.

It's very well known indeed partly because in "technical astro" with dedicated camera and telescope you're dealing with focus and image stability requirements that even the most critical BIF shooter might find staggering. Dig into some astro forums and you'll see that we're obsessed with the stability of the glass and tube materials. What I call "technical astro" creates the need to have a deep understanding so there's a lot written and the basic principles will translate. Temperature equilibrium of your equipment is important and any air temp differentials in the air between the front of the glass and the subject will have some impact as well. (Shooting across a cool lake or warm pavement for example).

Astrophotography, especially using Newtonian reflectors, knows this effect as "tube currents". Thanks for pointing out the effect it can have on the wildlife shooting.
I think mini-tube currents accurately describes what's happening here. I didn't think about it much for wildlife photos. Removing the hood would allow the air to move and also disrupt any potential little boundry layer against the front element.

Thank you Steve for an excellent video and instructions regarding heat waves trapped in a lens hood produced by a warm lens. I'm sure this has happened to me even recently and I appreciate you sharing it with me. It's funny because as an amateur astronomer I should have known this because it definitely is something that astronomers are familiar with but I forgot about it when it came to my wildlife photography haha. So thank you very much for sharing this and it will be something I keenly keep in mind as I continue photography in cold weather. Great job both explaining the issue and in analyzing it accurately!

Are you a cold weather shooter? Did you know your lens hood could be working against you if the conditions are right, absolutely turning your photos to mush? Give me four minutes and I'll show you when to watch for the problem, what it looks like, and how to avoid it. A must-see for every cold weather, long lens shooter!

It was a lot more than an elementary explanation, so great work Sherlock. The video was very clear and informative.---as usual. Thanks

That’s great info. Living in Florida, I don’t run into that issue, but just the oposite. Going from a cold car out to the heat gets condensation on the lens. Also, we are almost always dealing with heat distortion.
The golden rule is that you want the gear the same temp as the air. Taking the hood off helps quiet a bit, but ideally you want everything the same temperature if you can.
I ran into that a few years ago in Florida near Bradenton. I couldn’t figure out why my images were so blurrry ! Doh ! Coming from Alberta, this is rarely an issue…😊😊

Are you a cold weather shooter? Did you know your lens hood could be working against you if the conditions are right, absolutely turning your photos to mush? Give me four minutes and I'll show you when to watch for the problem, what it looks like, and how to avoid it. A must-see for every cold weather, long lens shooter!

Hello Steve,

Thank you so much for posting this video - it helped me solve a puzzle when I took my tamron 100-400 out in the cold (>-20 C) on my new Z6II and couldn't get good focus (before running back in the warmth). I began to doubt the camera/lens, but it turned out to be heat distortion. Going on (longer) walks the camera and lens were functioning great.

I saw your comments over at NR regarding vitriolic mails, and just want to say, thank you for all your great work and for staying with it in spite of such nastiness.

I saw your comments over at NR regarding vitriolic mails, and just want to say, thank you for all your great work and for staying with it in spite of such nastiness.

Thankfully, it's not nearly a the level Peter gets. Mine are mostly nasty comments on YT videos that I just delete (or report - that happens with the nastier ones). However, I have found that the photographic community is overwhelmingly a wonderful group of people. Just gotta ignore the crazies!

Steve -

Was thinking, since your wife has one, I'm wondering what impact opening the trap door on the top of the Canon 100-500mm RF (or 100-400mm EF) has on this effect given that heat rises and could potentially escape through the opening instead of lingering inside. I'm normally in the frosty Northeast and would try it myself, but I'm actually on my way to FL. Would be interesting to see if there are any differences. My apologies if you've already tried this and I missed it.
Safe travels, Jake.

@Steve I had a chuckle last weekend. I was out shooting eagles in the freezing cold and was chatting with another one who started taking about your video. Then I saw another photographer carrying his lens hood detached from his camera. I just envision seeing groups of people all walking around carrying their lens hoods now :D

Pulled out the old thermal imager for this.

img_thermal_1704725340483.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
img_thermal_1704725368046.jpg
img_thermal_1704725385777.jpg

Now that's cool! Would be interesting to see how long it would take the entire lens to match the ambient temp.

Wonder how much of an effect does the temps of the internal elements have on IQ, or is it just the air temp differences that we have to worry about?
FWIW, I don't really see any difference when the hood is off between cold and warm gear. However, I like cold weather about as much as I enjoy root canals, so I only shoot in the cold a few times a year (usually when it's snowing or when there's a really cool species).

I think
FWIW, I don't really see any difference when the hood is off between cold and warm gear. However, I like cold weather about as much as I enjoy root canals, so I only shoot in the cold a few times a year (usually when it's snowing or when there's a really cool species).
As a chronic “root canal” shooter, I think the more intriguing aspect is that one doesn’t anticipate the impact that this has on cold weather imaging as the air is usually clear whereas when one is shooting in hot weather conditions, the atmospherics are usually apparent. Unless it is sleeting, I don’t usually use a hood in winter unless I’m traipsing through brush.

With you on that, shooting in the cold here in WI is miserable 😖 I try to tell myself that I'll find something unique out there, but most of the time I find nothing except frozen fingers and less gas in my car.

So my question was regarding the overall temperature difference between the internal lens elements and outside air temps: will a large differential impact image quality?

With you on that, shooting in the cold here in WI is miserable 😖 I try to tell myself that I'll find something unique out there, but most of the time I find nothing except frozen fingers and less gas in my car.

So my question was regarding the overall temperature difference between the internal lens elements and outside air temps: will a large differential impact image quality?
I don't think it will - at least as far as I've experienced.

Good timing for me to read this today. Just arrived in Toronto for a 3-week visit which will include looking for some Snowy Owls up around Barrie.

Love the cold weather, personally. But I’m scheduled for a root canal when I get home…

Then there is the issue of shaking from the cold; we have nasty feel like temps happening right now. We will not be doing much except going to work if the vehicles start. No picture taking for a few days lol. I normally LOVE the cold but this is too cold for even this Ice Queen
Areas of the Alberta Canada will have -63F (-53C) feel temps Saturday night.
We are -58F (-50C) feel temp in Lethbridge Saturday night. Edmonton shows feel temp of -76F (-60C)!

Then there is the issue of shaking from the cold; we have nasty feel like temps happening right now. We will not be doing much except going to work if the vehicles start. No picture taking for a few days lol. I normally LOVE the cold but this is too cold for even this Ice Queen
Areas of the Alberta Canada will have -63F (-53C) feel temps Saturday night.
We are -58F (-50C) feel temp in Lethbridge Saturday night. Edmonton shows feel temp of -76F (-60C)!
I have friend in Calgary that sent a photo of himself at the end of a short 9km xc ski outing yesterday in Fish Creek Park in Calgary .... "The Frost King" would be an apt description. Balmy here in Boise, Idaho by comparison we are under a winter storm warning the high todayh 20f.

I was just discussing the struggles of photography in frigid temperatures with a friend and BCG member in a "what's app" group.
Like most, I despise the way the cold makes my feet and fingers feel, but I absolutely love the way a cold and snowy landscape creates the opportunity to produce "minimalist" images of nature. I live in MN, and we are heading into the -10's F (-23C for my non US brothers and sisters on the forum) this week, and I am taking the weekend to get my brain ready to endure a few sunrise shoots. I always leave my house regretting the decision, shiver and whine to myself about how stupid I am for sitting in the cold for two hours, but in the end, often celebrate the 3 or 4 unique images I managed to make because I chose to endure the discomfort. The older I get, the harder it is on the body... yet, I continue to push myself to embrace the opportunity that a cold winter offers.

Regarding the hood off tip, this has been a game changer for me. I was skeptical when you (Steve) posted the video, but I also knew I had a disturbingly high out of focus rate when doing winter shoots. I now begin my winter shoots with the hood off and put it on once I've been outside for 30 minutes or more. Unfortunately, on snowy days one must pick their poison... heat distortion or snow on the lens... I tend to leave the hood on when it snows.

bruce

Last edited:
I have friend in Calgary that sent a photo of himself at the end of a short 9km xc ski outing yesterday in Fish Creek Park in Calgary .... "The Frost King" would be an apt description. Balmy here in Boise, Idaho by comparison we are under a winter storm warning the high todayh 20f.
Parts of FCP are so pretty in the snowy weather, not sure that I would be ambitious enough to xc ski though, tobogganing yes lol. I spent many years calving and riding horse back in this cold, cannot say that I miss the calving part. I love the cold down to about -40-45.

I was just discussing the struggles of photography in frigid temperatures with a friend and BCG member in a "what's app" group.
Like most, I despise the way the cold makes my feet and fingers feel, but I absolutely love the way a cold and snowy landscape creates the opportunity to produce "minimalist" images of nature. I live in MN, and we are heading into the -10's F (-23C for my non US brothers and sisters on the forum) this week, and I am taking the weekend to get my brain ready to endure a few sunrise shoots. I always leave my house regretting the decision, shiver and whine to myself about how stupid I am for sitting in the cold for two hours, but in the end, often end up celebrate the 3 or 4 unique images I managed to make because I chose to endure the discomfort. The older I get, the harder it is on the body... yet, I continue to push myself to embrace the opportunity that a cold winter offers.

Regarding the hood off tip, this has been a game changer for me. I was skeptical when you (Steve) posted the video, but I also knew I had a disturbingly high out of focus rate when doing winter shoots. I now begin my winter shoots with the hood off and put it on once I've been outside for 30 minutes or more. Unfortunately, on snowy days one must pick their poison... heat distortion or snow on the lens... I tend to leave the hood on when it snows.

bruce
Do you have a humid cold there?
Where I am in southern Alberta it is a very dry cold, so it actually feels quite a bit warmer than where the humidity plays into the temps. Even the bit of humidity we get at -20-25c makes me wish for colder temps to dry the air, it just feels warmer at -40 and it's dry enough that the snow doesn't stick and melt to you :)

Do you have a humid cold there?
Where I am in southern Alberta it is a very dry cold, so it actually feels quite a bit warmer than where the humidity plays into the temps. Even the bit of humidity we get at -20-25c makes me wish for colder temps to dry the air, it just feels warmer at -40 and it's dry enough that the snow doesn't stick and melt to you :)
Our cold depends on the direction of the wind. Once the arctic air mass settles in, it's dry and still. If we get west and south winds it's damp and miserable 😶

Back