Are protective front filters necessary?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I started asking in the 400/4.5 thread. But I really want to dive in in this again.

I’m referring to the expensive quality ones.

Pro’s
1. It protects the lens should the lens fall.

2. It protects from UV & Haze.

Con’s
1. Its might interfere with the lens design and front element coating.

2. May rob some equity.

What’s your opinion?
Unless you can identify a threat to your front element (such as blowing sand, in which case a UV filter would be tossed after the shoot), I would skip it.

Your cons are very strong and the pros are weak

Does anyone know of a current reference comparing the transmission percentage of different protective filters? There was one done by lensrentals but that is now quite a few years old.

Last edited:
Does anyone know of a cuurent reference comparing the transmisdion percentage of different protective filters? There was one done by lensrentals but that is now quite a few years old.

The only useful articles I found were ones that were summarizing the results of the LensRentals test you linked. Unless someone can convince Roger Cicala of LensRentals to do an updated test (which I doubt), I don't think we will find anything newer that is meaningful.

IMO, this is why people think filters are bad. Incredibly poor testing. Hopefully most people would know that you don't test for this sort of thing on moving subjects.
Stationary birds show detail In Wegener’s video extremely well - no problem! Are they representative of all filters - we could argue about that and other image comparisons.

I started asking in the 400/4.5 thread. But I really want to dive in in this again.

Pro’s

Con’s

2. May rob some equity.

What’s your opinion?
Steve did some test although crude but they show that the filter really doesn't help much. I don't use them. Everyone is and can do as they will. Lol

There was an earlier comment about using a clear filter to help with cleaning rather than having to clean a lens element. That's changing a bit. Over the last few years there is increased use of coatings and nanotechnology to make both lenses and filters easier to clean. If your lens uses these coatings or nanotechnology on the front element, it's probably better to avoid a filter. But if it is important to you, you can get filters that are better than others in terms of cleaning.

I have found some filters are difficult to clean or the coatings scratch easily. Above all, never use any ammonia based cleaner or glass cleaner on a filter or lens. Ammonia can fog acrylic, styrene, and many films used on optics.

In 2011, I was on a hike on top of a volcano in Quito, Ecuador with fellow faculty members and a group of students to study the cloud forest. It was a very narrow trail and quite muddy and soft. One wrong step and next thing I know I was rolling down the hill! I managed to stop after about 30 feet and came out of the whole thing with a dislocated shoulder and a bunch of ripped off nails. My Nikon D90 was hanging from my neck. The only thing happened to the camera was that it was covered with mosses and a broken UV filter. From then on, I do add a UV filter to all my lenses. Many of you mentioned, there are arguments on both sides of using a UV filter or not. But since the accident, I tend to have a filter (either UV or CP) on all my lenses except the 200-500mm.

Pro’s

Con’s

2. May rob some equity.

What’s your opinion?
I have Nikon NC 77mm or 82mm filters on all my zoom lenses. I even have Polar Pro CP filters for them as well, and I bought the very expensive drop-in CP for my super-telephoto lens. Since I also live near the Pacific Ocean, and shoot around a lot of water, wind and dust/debris, I use Nikon UV/NC filters. They do unfortunately get sort of pitted out or cleaned one too many times so I sometimes replace them, but yes I absolutely use them on my expensive lenses. I also insure all of my gear, so these filters serve multiple purposes. They protect my front elements and according to Canon/CPS they are required for completing weather sealing. Now it is true Canon said this back before Flourine coating was on the front of most lenses.

However I still find UV filters invaluable, because I am a photojournalist and I shoot everything from surfing to wildfires. I’m often on the front line with the hot-shots or hand-crews of firefighters. I’ve been hit a few times by both water dropping helicopters and from Tanker aircraft dropping “Phos-Chek” the pink-red fire retardant! A few times filters have saved me or saved my front element and they always help keep value if you’re diligent about installing them on day-one! I always buy a new filter when I get a new lens! I do wish Nikon would update their NC filters to include Flourine coating, that’s one thing I do not like about them. PolarPro makes wonderful UV filters with very high quality glass and excellent transmission, and they have Flourine-type coating. It repels water, oils, scratches, eyc., etc.!

However the issue with them is their lip or metal edge sticks out just ever so slightly and prevents you from installing most lens hoods. I always, always use my lens hoods, even indoors, so that’s a no-go for me. In fact it bothers me that their other filters such as their ND/PL and CP filters stick out even further and prevent lens hoods from attaching. Anyways everyone has an opinion on this issue and some people don’t trust filters.

However I can promise you, if you buy quality, it will absolutely NOT have any negative effects on IQ. I used to buy Leica UVa filters, as they have 99.9% transmission and are made from extremely good quality glass. However their brass ring was or is, just a bit too thick for my liking. But if you want the very best, Leica’s UVa filters are the absolute best of the best! I’d say for the money Nikon NC filters are a great buy, good quality that won’t effect IQ, but be cautious where you buy them from. There are more counterfeit Nikon filters than there are genuine Nikon filters, so buy ONLY from an Nikon Authorized dealer! I personally get mine from Amazon usually. Just check it says Ships From Amazon, Sold by Amazon to make sure they are getting them directly from Nikon. Otherwise I just order them from Nikon/NPS. Usually when I replace rubber or take my gear for a clean and check, I’ll get new NC filters directly from Nikon. They are well aware that there are many Nikon counterfeit batteries and filters floating around. I’ve personally dealt with this issue twice, where I bought and received counterfeit Nikon batteries. Even B&H got caught selling counterfeit Nikon batteries and apparently they got said batteries from an authorized Nikon distributor.

Anyhow, I got two counterfeit EN-EL18c batteries in 2020. One from Amazon and one on eBay. Nikon was surprised that counterfeits were being made even for the high end D5/D6 flagships. But I was able to send them images and details on the differences I had found between the Chinese counterfeit’s and the real deal copy I got from Nikon. Apparently Nikon has had lots of issues with counterfeit EN-EL15 type batteries, but now even the higher end batteries are being counterfeited. Which is definitely not cool, you don’t want a cheap Chinese knock-off in your D6 or Z9! So always buy Nikon filters and Nikon batteries directly from Nikon or your local Authorized Nikon dealer. Check this by asking Nikon or searching their website for dealer locator. I’ve been in a store that sold new Nikon gear, however was NOT an authorized dealer. The owner was getting the gear from a third party or something, but he wasn’t a dealer. Long story short, yes I highly recommend protective filters. I also highly recommend circular polarizer filters, as they cut down on reflections, which you can’t just “do in post!”

I only use a front protective filter when there is windblown dirt or sand or salt spray. Otherwise I use a hood to protect the front of the lens from harm and stray light.

Pro’s

Con’s

2. May rob some equity.

What’s your opinion?
In the studio I dont use protective filters.
But out shooting the front element can get very dirty.
If done with anything but the gentlest method cleaning a front element will remove some of the coating.
A good quality protective filter can be cleaned and thrown away after 6 months or so...🦘

Pro’s

Con’s

2. May rob some equity.

What’s your opinion?

Clear Protective/UV filters are 100% unnecessary and a simple up sell, they are mostly a value added up sell based on fear and perception to beginners and kit camera customers.
Sorry i had every sidewalk camera store in Manhattan try to push them onto me even B and H when i would go in on weekends, LOL.

Never had one that does a thing, other the the B&W limited edition gold ring 77mm filter that actually added contrast warmth and colour to my 24-70 F2.8 G LOL

Defiantly robbed equity on long zooms.

The fornt eleiment on my 300 2.8 VR II is a sacrificial element that's cheap to replace if smashed.

Only an opinion

I do not use protective filters anymore on my Z lenses. They are mostly long lenses with big hoods and they are insured.

I still have some Breakthrough Photography ND and CPL filters and when needed they are needed as others have noted above. I just seldom need them.

I used B+W filters for years and still have some in a drawer but found Breakthrough Photography to have no color shift and the clear or UV to have no light loss and their CPL and their dark CPL with built in ND are just great at what they are built to do.

Back