ARE YOU READY? for Nikons Online Launch Event, really NO! 7 Hours to go.

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

As Ricci points out at the end of the video, it is pretty sneaky to see that "8" hidden in the bottom right corner behind the last question mark.
If Ricci is correct about the PLAY icon then this may be a bit different camera than so many people on here are thinking??

Of course Ricci is just stringing us all along...I'm sure 6 inches off screen sits the Z8 on his desk.
Don’t mean to be a naysayer but the faint “8” is Nikon’s way of telling us how many years we’ll have to wait to get whatever it is they plan to announce! 🤣

Last edited:
Spoiler alert. Warning Will Robinson, warning Will Robinson...satire alert. Satire alert! This post is not to be taken personally or seriously.

I'm having a deja vu moment over this but can't quite figure out what triggered it! I feel as though I know where this is going before it even begins for some mysterious and unexplainable reason. It's almost as though I have seen this all before but just can't remember when (but it seems like the Z9 name and a bunch of lenses that have an S in the name are involved but I can't quite put my finger in it).

It is wonderful to see that the camera world has recovered from the PTSD of the Z7II, Z9 releases and various S series lenses waiting lists and is ready to once again rev up the "I NEED IT and I WANT IT and NIKON BETTER GIVE IT TO ME ...I HAVE GOT TO HAVE AN AUTONOMOUUS CAMERA RIGHT NOW" machine again even before whatever product is going to be announced is even announced.

It sure is easy to lead the sheep.

Has anyone planned a march on Nikon headquarters to protest the waiting list yet? Might as well get on board early and avoid the rush in the internet spirit of complaining early and complaining often:)

I'm really hoping that Nikon will give us another Z9 pricing moment - with the Z8 coming at least a little lower than what everyone is speculating. My hope and best guess - $3599. If that's the case, it's an instant pre-order from me.

If we're closer to $4000, I'll hold off and likely just go for the Z9 this summer / fall. I'm factoring in a grip for the Z8 (a must-have for me), assuming there will be one priced around $400. So if we start to get within $1000, and considering the Z9 will probably qualify for rebates / promos this year... it's an easy choice. B&H is currently bundling a free extra EN-EL18 battery.

I feel like it's a win-win either way :)📷

I'm really hoping that Nikon will give us another Z9 pricing moment - with the Z8 coming at least a little lower than what everyone is speculating. My hope and best guess - $3599. If that's the case, it's an instant pre-order from me.

If we're closer to $4000, I'll hold off and likely just go for the Z9 this summer / fall. I'm factoring in a grip for the Z8 (a must-have for me), assuming there will be one priced around $400. So if we start to get within $1000, and considering the Z9 will probably qualify for rebates / promos this year... it's an easy choice. B&H is currently bundling a free extra EN-EL18 battery.

I feel like it's a win-win either way :)📷
If they release it at $3599 that would be groundbreaking for a top end FF stacked sensor camera. Cheaper than the A7RV and the R5 (original price) and giving one similar features to the Z9 for almost $2K less.
I just think that is too low but would be amazing if they can do it. I think the Z8 at best will be $3998 and more likely be around the $4500 mark. Even at those prices I think it would be an amazing deal if it truly has all the Z9 features. Still $1000-$1500 less than Z9.

Something just seems strange about this Nikon event. The rumored specifications of the Z8 are almost exactly the same as the Z9. Why create this huge anticipation if all that will be released is a slightly smaller Z9. It just doesn't make sense. There has to be something else in the works. I know many have discussed the 200-600 zoom or now 180-600 zoom but there haven't been any rumors swirling about this. Maybe we will see a significant firmware update for the Z9. If the Z8 is practically the same camera as the Z9, maybe we will see a Z8 with added features but a firmware update for the Z9 that will implement those new features in the Z9.

If they release it at $3599 that would be groundbreaking for a top end FF stacked sensor camera. Cheaper than the A7RV and the R5 (original price) and giving one similar features to the Z9 for almost $2K less.
I just think that is too low but would be amazing if they can do it. I think the Z8 at best will be $3998 and more likely be around the $4500 mark. Even at those prices I think it would be an amazing deal if it truly has all the Z9 features. Still $1000-$1500 less than Z9.
Good thoughts for sure. And I'd say, at least based on rumored specs - $3995 isn't an unfair price. I've heard others speculate as low as $3499. I guess I'm looking back to the Z9's pricing - no one at all thought we'd be looking at anything under $6k. Now, maybe things are different at this stage but I almost feel like Nikon's strategy is to price bodies lower in order to sell more lenses(?) and take back a little more of the market since the shift to mirrorless happened.

Just a few more days, we'll know! :) Then everyone can start complaining about the next update they're waiting on haha

Something just seems strange about this Nikon event. The rumored specifications of the Z8 are almost exactly the same as the Z9. Why create this huge anticipation if all that will be released is a slightly smaller Z9. It just doesn't make sense. There has to be something else in the works. I know many have discussed the 200-600 zoom or now 180-600 zoom but there haven't been any rumors swirling about this. Maybe we will see a significant firmware update for the Z9. If the Z8 is practically the same camera as the Z9, maybe we will see a Z8 with added features but a firmware update for the Z9 that will implement those new features in the Z9.
Agreed, the whole thing is weird. A smaller Z9 with **** battery life does nothing for me. Add a battery grip and large battery plus the required charger and I imagine you're in Z9 price range.

I suspect it's going to be a dedicated video camera of some sort (don't care) and maybe a couple lenses. We'll see I guess

A few more days and we'll see. As a Canon shooter (former Nikon Shooter) I am not currently in the market but am interested to see what they introduce. I wouldn't be surprised if it is a video-centric camera. The "play" icon in the teaser would suggest either a video centric camera or a camera with enhanced video capabilities. I hope it is a killer camera. I know several other photographers who are eagerly awaiting it and for their sake I hope it is everything they anticipate. I loved my Nikon gear but it was just time for Jeff to make a change so I went with Canon and have been happy with it.

Agreed, the whole thing is weird. A smaller Z9 with **** battery life does nothing for me. Add a battery grip and large battery plus the required charger and I imagine you're in Z9 price range.
but it potentially does something for all the d850 people who said “but the z9 is too big!”. and for those cross-shopping the r5 or a1 or a9ii and those of us who want a backup body but don’t need it to be a z9

but it potentially does something for all the d850 people who said “but the z9 is too big!”. and for those cross-shopping the r5 or a1 or a9ii and those of us who want a backup body but don’t need it to be a z9
You are right. I remember doing a poll few weeks back on what camera people are looking forward to - Z6III, Z7III, Z8 like a Sony A7R5, Z8 which is a Z9 in smaller form factor, Z500 DX pro body. I think about 125 or so folks voted in total and about 55% of them wanted a Z8 which is essentially a Z9 in smaller form factor. Honestly at the time of creating that poll I thought that would be the least likely model Nikon would come up with and I was thinking a Z8 would most likely be a his res sensor like a Sony A7R5 but then based on the rumours, Nikon seems to be launching exactly the model a lot of people voted for!

Last edited:
Judging by her IG feed, Michelle Valberg has recently visited high-end safari destinations in S Africa, Zambia, and elsewhere in southern Africa.

Pure coincidence for a Nikon ambassador perhaps. But....

And 2 prominent UK Nikon employees (Ricci Chera is one, not surprisingly) will be presenting online mid June about the "New" Nikon products to the Nikon Owners Club. So more evidence there's surely something(s) of unusually high interest about to be launched....

Looking forward to see if there is any other news besides the Z8, not that it's not great news but I have the Z9 and happy with that.

On another note a friend just called me and said he got his 400/2.8 TC from B&H today which was an awesome surprise! He ordered it the morning it was announced and is not NPS.

Yeah - I get your point. I just feel like the Z7II was replacement enough for the D850. If in fact Nikon is going to release a Z8 that's supposed to be ground-breaking like the D850 - it's going to need to be "ground-breaking" like the D850 was. Not simply a mirrorless D850. Which again, in my opinion, already exists in the Z7II.

That's the whole point. They are not worried about competing with the Z9, they win either way. They need something to go up against the Sonys and Canons who between the two of them own 90% of the pros and serious hobbyists. The goal is to (1) convert, (2) give something for Nikon shooters who dont want the beastly 9 and (3) budding serious shooters who want to move from MFT and APS-C to FF. A gripless with capabilities similar to the Z9 would accomplish that.

Yeah - I get your point. I just feel like the Z7II was replacement enough for the D850. If in fact Nikon is going to release a Z8 that's supposed to be ground-breaking like the D850 - it's going to need to be "ground-breaking" like the D850 was. Not simply a mirrorless D850. Which again, in my opinion, already exists in the Z7II.
Isn't the D850 considered one of, if not THE, finest wildlife photography DSLR cameras ever made? From what Ive heard, the Z7ii certainly is not that.

Last edited:
And 2 prominent UK Nikon employees (Ricci Chera is one, not surprisingly) will be presenting online mid June about the "New" Nikon products to the Nikon Owners Club. So more evidence there's surely something(s) of unusually high interest about to be launched....
In the UK "Nikon high end customers" are being invited to demo days in early June by retailers - with a Nikon rep having new equipment present.
There is no clarification as to what the new equipment is - but there is a lot of smoke and an "8" on the bottom right of the Nikon teaser.
There are strong indications of first deliveries on 25th June.
If this comes about Nikon has learned from their past mistakes of not having new products reasonably available soon after an official announcement.
One word of caution. I forecast pre-orders for Z8 will be distinctly higher than those even for the Z9, partly because it is not so expensive and partly because it will be a good update for the best ever DSLR, the D 850.

Isn't the D850 considered one of, if not THE, finest wildlife photography DSLR cameras ever made? From what Ive heard, the Z7ii certainly is not that.
It's very good at everything. Equals the D500 for wildlife if you add the battery grip. I wouldn't consider it the top for wildlife though. In my opinion for Nikon I'd put it at #3 for current SLRs.

#1 D6/D5
#2 D500
#3 D850
#4 D7200/7500

Again, just my opinion. I will say that the D850 is my favorite camera however and I currently use the D6, Z9 and D850. I don't much about the Nikon Z cameras other than the 9.

Back