Backup for travellers without computer?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I have a Belkin hub with PD in and it copied 50 or so Z8/9 files at 60ish MB each in just a minute or so although I didn’t time it. I also have the same hub discussed above but don’t use it as the iPad needs a powered hub to support both the card reader and SSD at the same time.
Is your iPad an M series iPad? If it isn’t that may be why you need a powered hub. Mine which is an M1 iPad Pro doesn’t need a powered hub.

Copy them directly to the SSD and delete from ipad.

Yes. I‘ll try it now.

Mine doesn’t. I can plug in both the SSD and the SD card reader with no issues.
Perhaps mine does too…now that I think about it I plugged the power cable into the hub but before I added the card reader and SSD…I will give it another try today and see…I don't recall for sure if I actually tried with this hub…I did with my original one as it doesn’t have power in so perhaps I just assumed incorrectly.

edited later…

Ok, my iPad is an Air 4 which has the A17 rather than the M1 and I stand corrected…it does see both my Delkin card reader and a Samsung T7 Shield without the power connected to the hub although I would normally plug it in rather than power everything from the iPad. And I was able to copy about 350 Z8 RAW images totaling almost 19GB in 2:10 so about 140 MB;sec. So…this is an excellent way to backup cards on the road without a laptop. However…as I said in another reply I haven’t found an iPad app that will allow me to select the entire contents of a memory card(both todays and yesterdays images say) then paste them into a folder that already contains yesterdays images without recording yesterdays. I will keep investigating to see if there’s an easy way to do this but the workaround is to just use a new folder every day or just double copy the files overwriting what got copied yesterday and then combine the folders when importing into LR later on.

edited more even later…

Whether you need power connected (at least for an A series iPad Air 4…don't have an M series iPad)…apparently depends on what the multiple devices are. With my Belkin…a CFe card reader and Samsung T7 both mount just fine…but with the card reader swapped out for a second T7 (which logically seems should need more power) only the first one mounts until I plug the power cable into the PD In port on the hub.

Last edited:
What do you mean by a powered hub. Ralph and I both used hubs that are bus powered from the iPad. That could be why mine was slow.
Which Belkin hub do you have.
I’ve got this Belkin Connect one from Amazon…https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BY27XSJ3?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details…it has a PD in port so that you can charge the iPad or laptop while also using the hub…will try again today to see if card to SSD works with no power.

I’ve got this Belkin Connect one from Amazon…https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BY27XSJ3?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details…it has a PD in port so that you can charge the iPad or laptop while also using the hub…will try again today to see if card to SSD works with no power.
The Acer one that I purchased works really well. No power needed. Glad you started this discussion. I actually hadn’t tried it until I read this thread. First time I had taken it out of box. I purchased about it 2 weeks ago.

The Acer one that I purchased works really well. No power needed. Glad you started this discussion. I actually hadn’t tried it until I read this thread. First time I had taken it out of box. I purchased about it 2 weeks ago.
See my edit of the other post…two T7s doesn’t work but card reader and 1 T7 does…and both work if I plug in the power to the PD on the hub or if both T7s are plugged in with no power only 1 of them mounts until I add the power hookup. It’s clearly a max power on the A chip thing…an M iPad may differ and what the multiple devices are also apparently matters. I would always plug in the power my way myself either from an adapter or Anker power brick. There is also an about to be released iPad app that gets around the iPadOS way of no incremental backup of only new files…ipados will only do Select All which results in duplicate copies of images or click Skip a million times for the potential dupes or have to click a million times to select only today‘s new files. The author sent me a beta copy and it’s almost perfect except for being able to preconfigure multiple tasks and select to run this one or that one…multiple backups in v1 requires setting up multiple times and that’s prone to error/stupidity/missed something…I’ve asked if tasks are in the feature queue. My M1 MBP mounted both T7s via the hub regardless of whether the laptop was connected or not…so either the M1 or the laptop has more power out capability than the A series iPad.

If you all want to consider a super fast way for Z9 users.

One has to wonder if at some point, cameras will be able to have an external SSD plugged in directly to the USB-C port to download. I know I can plug a USB thumb drive into my Samsung S22 Ultra with the appropriate OTG adapter to read files. Granted, I haven't tried with a full-sized external SSD...yet. And maybe won't be on the current generations of Z cameras, but maybe down the road?

One has to wonder if at some point, cameras will be able to have an external SSD plugged in directly to the USB-C port to download. I know I can plug a USB thumb drive into my Samsung S22 Ultra with the appropriate OTG adapter to read files. Granted, I haven't tried with a full-sized external SSD...yet. And maybe won't be on the current generations of Z cameras, but maybe down the road?
My Hasselblad X2D has a 1Tb SSD built in. Raw files are a massive 220Mb so it can hold 4000+ images. As with the Z8, I can easily copy to my iPad Pro then to my external SSD to get me 2 backups.

I would imagine it wouldn’t be too hard to add…the ISB port is already there and the copy card to card code is already there…

Back