Backup for travellers without computer?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

These threads have info to help some

I always take a small laptop to check email and to be able to review my image files after a day of shooting. I like to verify that there is not a problem with a camera or a lens and not wait until I get back home when it is too late to do anything. The cost of a travel netbook is roughly the same as a backup device.

I have never had a memory card fail out in the field with the exception of a CF and a XQD that each failed immediately when used at home in a camera. The ones I take on my travels are ones that I have tested and verified do not have damaged sectors.

If I was paranoid I would use the second memory card slot to duplicate all the images captured to the primary card.

An iPhone or iPad, a powered hub, and an external SSD would do the trick…I can’t imagine you can’t do the same thing if you’re an Android user. I carry a laptop because it’s easier to backup than the iPad is…but I have an iPad and iPhone as well.

I just tried a set up on my iPad Pro with a hub that was supposed to provide 10 GB a second transfers. When plugged into my MacBook Pro, it took 34 seconds for 6.54 GB of data to a Samsung T7. on the iPad Pro to transfer that to a Samsung T7, it took 9 1/2 minutes.

So if anyone has a combination, that is quick, please let me know what you’re using with an iPad Pro.

If I copy files from a memory card I want a 100% reliable way to verify that the files are intact and in no way corrupted or missing on that device. But there is no reason for me to take the time to do this when in the past 22 years I have only had 3 memory cards that have been defective and I lost a grand total of 3 image files.

You used to be able to buy self powered drives with card slots and USB ports, IIRC Epson started this off many years ago so they might still be available form someone. However it might be cheaper to get a used laptop ot other used storage device.

You used to be able to buy self powered drives with card slots and USB ports, IIRC Epson started this off many years ago so they might still be available form someone. However it might be cheaper to get a used laptop ot other used storage device.
Thanks, purpose is to travel only with an iPad Pro. Why? Certain things are easier than a computer. Logging in with Face ID. Downloading movies for the plane. I have an old MBA I could take, but don't for these reasons. I would have thought there would be better way by now.

Maybe I'm more of a risk taker but I just use the second slot on my Z9 as my back up.
I am now intending to do this for non wildlife trips. So you use Backup mode, but what happens when you leave the camera behind, or are using another (third) card? If you are taking your second card out then you have to make sure to put it back in. If you are using another (third) card, what do you do on day 2. There is no easy way to copy only new images, unless you make a new folder each day. I will 100% forget to do that so one would have to format that third card and copy all each day.

Maybe I'm more of a risk taker but I just use the second slot on my Z9 as my back up.
That's actually not a bad idea if you have sufficient cards that all images get written to 2 cards and then put them in the bag when full if light is really important. I almost always carry my laptop…but now that I've got a powered USB-C hub I've tested doing backups with my iPad Air…copying direct from card to a Samsung T7 and it works just fine. The only issue is that there's no easy way to only copy new files in iOS so if I was using that on a trip I would back up daily and just select only today's images to be copied instead of select all and copy like I would do in macOS since that would let me skip the files that already existed at the destination.

That's actually not a bad idea if you have sufficient cards that all images get written to 2 cards and then put them in the bag when full if light is really important. I almost always carry my laptop…but now that I've got a powered USB-C hub I've tested doing backups with my iPad Air…copying direct from card to a Samsung T7 and it works just fine. The only issue is that there's no easy way to only copy new files in iOS so if I was using that on a trip I would back up daily and just select only today's images to be copied instead of select all and copy like I would do in macOS since that would let me skip the files that already existed at the destination.
This is strange - why can't you sort by date modified and only select the new ones. Further what speeds are getting that makes this even possible, or what powered USB Hub are you using. See my post #7 when using a bus powered hub - way too slow.

I used to do backups all the time. I’d have a device or something to copy files to. But after a year or two it was such an inconvenience that I’ve taken to just winging it. So far in the 15 years I’ve done that I’ve never had a problem. Again, if I was doing something for business then my answer would be different. I guess over the years I’ve realized that my whole lifetime of photos will probably be deleted shortly after my passing so what does it matter if some disappear along the way?

You can copy new files to iPad. I do it all the time. Instead of copying photos from card to the file app, import into the photo app first. You can even preview each photo before you import. From the photo app you can export whatever photos you want to the samsung drive In their original state.

You can copy new files to iPad. I do it all the time. Instead of copying photos from card to the file app, import into the photo app first. You can even preview each photo before you import. From the photo app you can export whatever photos you want to the samsung drive In their original state.
Yeah…but that requires (a) a big enough storage on the iPad to keep all the shots there and (b) some interest in using Photos to look at them. For me…unless it's a medium long trip where I want to process photos on the road and do daily or whatever blog posts then I'm interested solely in backing up the originals. In the former case…I'll be using LR to do the processing and my laptop will be along. In the latter…I'm not going to bother with LR although I could use the iPad for that if I were to use LR instead of LR Classic and had sufficient iPad storage and internet bandwidth to upload…but LR to date still is missing enough features that I"m not willing to use it. So if I'm just backing up moving them to the too small iPad and then to an external SSD is a double copy operation…far simpler and quicker to just hook up both the card reader and SSD via a powered hub (it won't work with unpowered hub, the iPad doesn't supply enough power to run both the card reader and the SSD although this may vary depending on which card reader and SSD one has) and copy direct from card to SSD.

I hope I'm not hijacking the topic but since we're talking about backups on the road without a computer I don't think I am…if mods desire go ahead and fork this over to a new topic.

I've considered using my iPad to backup from card reader to SSD on travel to save the laptop weight…but when backing up daily this becomes harder than it needs to be. If I dump all of yesterday's images from card to SSD 1 in a folder then plug in SSD 2 instead of card reader and copy them all with a Select All and copy to SSD 2 that works fine. But then if I dump all of today's images into the same folder on SSD 1 a Select All and copy to SSD 2 I would get asked to overwrite or skip for every image already on SSD 2. I realize I could just do a different daily image folder as a workaround but would really rather have something like CCC but for the iPad that would do an incremental copy of the folder on SSD 1 to SSD 2.

So…since I haven't found an iPad app that will do this I wondered if anybody else has found one? At this point…I'm not interested in an iPad with enough storage to safely keep the backup on the iPad, not interested in using LR instead of LR Classic but am just looking for an easier way to copy files incrementally from card reader to SSD 1 and then SSD 1 to SSD 2.

Hopefully that explanation makes sense.

Yeah…but that requires (a) a big enough storage on the iPad to keep all the shots there and (b) some interest in using Photos to look at them. For me…unless it's a medium long trip where I want to process photos on the road and do daily or whatever blog posts then I'm interested solely in backing up the originals. In the former case…I'll be using LR to do the processing and my laptop will be along. In the latter…I'm not going to bother with LR although I could use the iPad for that if I were to use LR instead of LR Classic and had sufficient iPad storage and internet bandwidth to upload…but LR to date still is missing enough features that I"m not willing to use it. So if I'm just backing up moving them to the too small iPad and then to an external SSD is a double copy operation…far simpler and quicker to just hook up both the card reader and SSD via a powered hub (it won't work with unpowered hub, the iPad doesn't supply enough power to run both the card reader and the SSD although this may vary depending on which card reader and SSD one has) and copy direct from card to SSD.
I have an M1 iPadPro with 256gig. I‘m using a non-powered Acer hub. I connect both the Samsung T7 2 tb drive and an Apple SD card reader for SD cards to it. Works great. Can select any photo I wish by date from the SD card and copy to the Samsung drive. I have not tried a CF card reader which may have a power issue. I wouldn’t purchase an iPad with less than 256 gigs of storage. And if I were to purchase one today I would make it at least 512gigs.
IMG_3278.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

So I got mine to work with a non-powered Tripp Lite hub as well and a Sabrent card reader which I think is very good deal at $35. However the transfers, were painfully slow. For example 6.54GB on my computer with the same hub, took 34 seconds but on the iPad it took 9 min 30 seconds.

I also did it with a Thunderbolt powered hub (huge power brick), didn't time that one, but very quick as well.

Ralph can you do a test with 6-7GB of data and report back.

Thanks.

I have an M1 iPadPro with 256gig. I‘m using a non-powered Acer hub. I connect both the Samsung T7 2 tb drive and an Apple SD card reader for SD cards to it. Works great. Can select any photo I wish by date from the SD card and copy to the Samsung drive. I have not tried a CF card reader which may have a power issue. I wouldn’t purchase an iPad with less than 256 gigs of storage. And if I were to purchase one today I would make it at least 512gigs.View attachment 84612
Mine has 256GB as well…but about 175 normally available. Of I was shooting for a week…that might not be enough space to store them on the iPad…but as I said if I was using the iPad instead of a laptop I would only be interested in backing images up from card to SSD and not to the iPad.

So I got mine to work with a non-powered Tripp Lite hub as well and a Sabrent card reader which I think is very good deal at $35. However the transfers, were painfully slow. For example 6.54GB on my computer with the same hub, took 34 seconds but on the iPad it took 9 min 30 seconds.

I also did it with a Thunderbolt powered hub (huge power brick), didn't time that one, but very quick as well.

Thanks.
I have a Belkin hub with PD in and it copied 50 or so Z8/9 files at 60ish MB each in just a minute or so although I didn’t time it. I also have the same hub discussed above but don’t use it as the iPad needs a powered hub to support both the card reader and SSD at the same time.

I have a Belkin hub with PD in and it copied 50 or so Z8/9 files at 60ish MB each in just a minute or so although I didn’t time it. I also have the same hub discussed above but don’t use it as the iPad needs a powered hub to support both the card reader and SSD at the same time.
What do you mean by a powered hub. Ralph and I both used hubs that are bus powered from the iPad. That could be why mine was slow.
Which Belkin hub do you have.

Mine has 256GB as well…but about 175 normally available. Of I was shooting for a week…that might not be enough space to store them on the iPad…but as I said if I was using the iPad instead of a laptop I would only be interested in backing images up from card to SSD and not to the iPad.
Copy them directly to the SSD and delete from ipad.

Thanks.
Yes. I‘ll try it now.
Mine doesn’t. I can plug in both the SSD and the SD card reader with no issues.

Thanks.
Using the iPad, I just copies five 25gig images from an SD card to the Samsung T7. It took 1 second. Worked great.

Back