Backyard Birding setups!

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I'd like to invite everyone to post their backyard birding setups!

My whole life I was pretty indifferent to the little birds, but recently friends and family have gotten me more engaged. I also bought my first house and finally have a yard and space to cultivate an area for the birds.

This is my first spring in the house, so right now I'm just trying to attract whatever I can. I have a variety of feeders, no water features yet (other than the river in the background).

One issue I have is that with the rather small space, backgrounds are quite busy. If anyone has suggestions for how I could setup a more photo friendly environment, that would be awesome!

I think I need to build some perches that sit closer to the middle of the yard, away from the fence. I also definitely need some bird baths or a pond.

Looking forward to any feedback on my setup, and seeing the setups everyone else has!

20240413_120009 - Copy.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
20240413_120013 - Copy.jpg
Z91_6407_DxO.jpg
Z91_6444_DxO.jpg
Z92_2559_DxO.jpg
Z92_3523_DxO.jpg
Z92_3929_DxO.jpg
Z92_4228_DxO.jpg

Nice! Congrats on the house. I hope to be there in a few years. Currently I don't have a yard, but there's a cemetery service road about 50-100 yds behind where I live. There are piles of logs and branches from cemetery landscaping so I've stacked some logs to place food on, and used some branches as perches behind the food. There are also some chunks of old pavement with moss growing on them that I sometimes place atop the logs to make things pretty. I park next to the feeding station and photograph the birds from my car. It gets boring after a while with the same birds and perches so I try to mix it up. A good majority of the birds posted on my Flickr over the past 4-5 months were taken from there. Feel free to ask me any questions on my setups. Not sure how it'd translate to your backyard but I might be able to help.

I'll second Doug's suggestion above, height would help a lot. How about setting up some tall perches in whatever direction gives you the best light for when you want to shoot and shoot right from your back porch? If the perches are within fifteen to twenty feet or so from the porch and up high you should get nice clean backgrounds. You can also hang some cloth as a bit of a shooting blind around the porch which can help for a lot of skittish birds.

You have a pond close to the house. I noticed that a lot of your photos are taken with long lenses. I sometimes use long lenses but not for photos from the back deck. 400mm is long enough. The problem is often that I can't focus close enough. I change perches a lot. I use dead branches tied to the rail of the deck with cable ties.
Personal experience:
Feeding birds leads to having the more friendly birds taking over. I get tired of photographing Sulphur Crested Cockys, Rainbow and Scally Breasted Lorikeets.
In the space of five years a lot has changed. Eldest daughter and her husband have done a lot of work on the property that is good for property price but bad for birds. New garage and bbq area led to loss of a large mulberry tree. No more fruit eaters. Taking out a large tree that dumped leaves in the swimming pool along with the Bougainvillea. The Bougainvillea was home to many small birds such as wrens and finches. The next door neighbour has over the last three years tidied up his property. Lost the Satin Bower Birds.
Noisy Miners like lawns so those have taken over the place.
Check with local wildlife people for advice on what trees and bushes to plant.

I'm always playing around with backyard setups. Food, and water is what you need. A bush, low tree nearby for them to stage while waiting. I have been setting up perches in different sized of Christmas tree stands (really cheap on Dec 26th at lowes or home depot). For the larger birds woodpeckers I use old dead limbs from a wildlife area where they are logging. I use a 12 inch electric chain saw to cut off an appropriate limb. I will drill 1" holes at a 45 deg angle on the back side. I use to fill them with suite, but now use shelled peanuts. The suite really messes up their beaks. I have a blue bird house that usually has 3 batches each year. I set up a perch 15 to 20 feet in front of the birdhouse. That way I know flight path and can catch them in flight going in the birdhouse. For smaller birds I will use a ground platform feeder, the smaller the better. Then set up a perch using small limbs from a bush preferably one with berries of flower nearby. I want them to have to wait to get to the food, that way they will land on the perch. Removing all the other feeders when I set up. I use the standard cement birdbath with a dripper, and a solar fountain. It really doesn't take much. My yard is smaller that what you are showing in your image. I don't even have grass, just flower patches... There is no way that I can have a "natural" background. I use some cheap light stands, a clamp screwed on to the top, and 5 ft of 3/4" or 1" PVC pipe. I go to lowes and get the economy pack of clamps then drape some cloth over the PVC use the clamps to hold the cloth on the top, and sides. Right now I'm using Camo cloth from amazon, I have found the bright green looks better than the browns. The background is totally out of focus and you can't tell what it is. I have used cloth from frabic shops, blankets from goodwill etc. Just someting that when completly blurred will look somewhat natural. I have been doing this so long the birds really don't pay any attention to me while out working in the yard. I have had woodpeckers land on my shoulder numerous times. But...take out a 600 mm lens and point it at them and puff they are gone, or an least very nervous and jumpy. Now I have a chair, and Camo netting I wrap around. That seems to help.

Clamp.png

The wild songbirds need and use water as much as food. A simple bird bath to start will work. Birds are attracted by movement in/on the water. A simple water drip into the bird bath will help to get their attention.

Add perches strategically positioned close to the feeders and bird bath that the birds can stop on before continuing down to the feeder or bath.

After you have the feeders, water, and perches in place consider a photo blind to shoot from - you'll be able to get closer to your avian models. Start will something simple. Something is needed to shield yourself/human form from their view when feeding or at the bird bath or perches. A piece of fabric, old blanket, etc hung-up that you can set behind with your camera on tripod will work. Birds won't care if it's latest hi-tech camo pattern, etc or an old worn blanket.

Later consider a pop-up hunting/photo blind to shoot from - less than $100 on Amazon.

As for better background - try to use shallow DOF if possible. Then position your blind and yourself when shooting to take advantage of exisiting better backgrounds. Try to keep the sun light coming from behind you as much as possible when shooting. You could even create your own small backgrounds to strategically place a distance behind the perches, etc. when shooting.

Last edited:
I can’t offer any experienced commentary on your set up, but your photos are beautiful! Well done!

Thanks! Hoping to improve them a lot as so far it's been kinda just casually sitting on the porch. If I make some targeted perches or put in some effort with good light, I hope I will get better results.

Nice! Congrats on the house. I hope to be there in a few years. Currently I don't have a yard, but there's a cemetery service road about 50-100 yds behind where I live. There are piles of logs and branches from cemetery landscaping so I've stacked some logs to place food on, and used some branches as perches behind the food. There are also some chunks of old pavement with moss growing on them that I sometimes place atop the logs to make things pretty. I park next to the feeding station and photograph the birds from my car. It gets boring after a while with the same birds and perches so I try to mix it up. A good majority of the birds posted on my Flickr over the past 4-5 months were taken from there. Feel free to ask me any questions on my setups. Not sure how it'd translate to your backyard but I might be able to help.

Oooh creative thinking! If you get a chance, take some pictures of your setup and post them in here!

I think I need to work on cultivating my feeding station to perching station area, so I can more predictably drive the birds to places with better backgrounds.

I'd set up the perches above the top of the fence so that using a tall blind (I have one 6' tall) you can get the woods in the background instead of sky or fence. With a long lens the trees will be so far out of focus they won't look like clutter. Orientation for morning light will probably be most productive.

This is what I was leaning towards too. I think it'll also work out since my porch sits a bit higher than the tree line, so standing up would be perfect height to shoot over that fence.

Unfortunately morning light isn't really possible in this spot. I'd have to go stand on my neighbor's property :confused:

Why not just shoot towards the river and set things up between you and the river bank. Great images btw. You could create natural perches to hold seeds.
Will a pond do what you want with the river right there?
Are you using Auto Capture?

We like the river view to be as unimpeded as possible, for when "non bird people" are over lol. Part of the deal was I could have free reign over the yard area as long as I kept the view of the river clean.

I suspect a pond would make a difference, as I doubt birds want to fly all the way down to the river. Plus the river would leave them more vulnerable, I would think.

I have not tried auto capture at all.

I'll second Doug's suggestion above, height would help a lot. How about setting up some tall perches in whatever direction gives you the best light for when you want to shoot and shoot right from your back porch? If the perches are within fifteen to twenty feet or so from the porch and up high you should get nice clean backgrounds. You can also hang some cloth as a bit of a shooting blind around the porch which can help for a lot of skittish birds.

Great ideas! I've been tossing around turning the porch into more of a quasi-blind. I think the birds will also just get more used to me. I can already handfeed some of the chickadees.

You have a pond close to the house. I noticed that a lot of your photos are taken with long lenses. I sometimes use long lenses but not for photos from the back deck. 400mm is long enough. The problem is often that I can't focus close enough. I change perches a lot. I use dead branches tied to the rail of the deck with cable ties.
Personal experience:
Feeding birds leads to having the more friendly birds taking over. I get tired of photographing Sulphur Crested Cockys, Rainbow and Scally Breasted Lorikeets.
In the space of five years a lot has changed. Eldest daughter and her husband have done a lot of work on the property that is good for property price but bad for birds. New garage and bbq area led to loss of a large mulberry tree. No more fruit eaters. Taking out a large tree that dumped leaves in the swimming pool along with the Bougainvillea. The Bougainvillea was home to many small birds such as wrens and finches. The next door neighbour has over the last three years tidied up his property. Lost the Satin Bower Birds.
Noisy Miners like lawns so those have taken over the place.
Check with local wildlife people for advice on what trees and bushes to plant.

From my area, 400mm is certainly not enough haha. I would need a dedicated blind to get that close. Even with the 800mm I haven't come close to hitting MFD (16').

If you will post some pics of your setup with branches tied to the deck rail, that would be super helpful!

Sad to hear about the loss of birds in favor of property values. I'm hoping that over time I can turn this property into a bit more of a "jungle" and try to attract as many species of wildlife as possible!

I'm always playing around with backyard setups. Food, and water is what you need. A bush, low tree nearby for them to stage while waiting. I have been setting up perches in different sized of Christmas tree stands (really cheap on Dec 26th at lowes or home depot). For the larger birds woodpeckers I use old dead limbs from a wildlife area where they are logging. I use a 12 inch electric chain saw to cut off an appropriate limb. I will drill 1" holes at a 45 deg angle on the back side. I use to fill them with suite, but now use shelled peanuts. The suite really messes up their beaks. I have a blue bird house that usually has 3 batches each year. I set up a perch 15 to 20 feet in front of the birdhouse. That way I know flight path and can catch them in flight going in the birdhouse. For smaller birds I will use a ground platform feeder, the smaller the better. Then set up a perch using small limbs from a bush preferably one with berries of flower nearby. I want them to have to wait to get to the food, that way they will land on the perch. Removing all the other feeders when I set up. I use the standard cement birdbath with a dripper, and a solar fountain. It really doesn't take much. My yard is smaller that what you are showing in your image. I don't even have grass, just flower patches... There is no way that I can have a "natural" background. I use some cheap light stands, a clamp screwed on to the top, and 5 ft of 3/4" or 1" PVC pipe. I go to lowes and get the economy pack of clamps then drape some cloth over the PVC use the clamps to hold the cloth on the top, and sides. Right now I'm using Camo cloth from amazon, I have found the bright green looks better than the browns. The background is totally out of focus and you can't tell what it is. I have used cloth from frabic shops, blankets from goodwill etc. Just someting that when completly blurred will look somewhat natural. I have been doing this so long the birds really don't pay any attention to me while out working in the yard. I have had woodpeckers land on my shoulder numerous times. But...take out a 600 mm lens and point it at them and puff they are gone, or an least very nervous and jumpy. Now I have a chair, and Camo netting I wrap around. That seems to help.

Using Christmas tree stands is a fantastic idea! Those are the type of top secret tips I'm looking for!

I would love to see some pictures of your setup! Especially given you have so much going on in a tighter space. I'm already struggling with how many different plants and perches I want to fit in this area.

Good idea about the camo cloth. I suspect at the distance the fence is, if I drape some cloth it'll blur out nicely and nobody will be able to tell that it's unnatural.

That is crazy about the woodpeckers landing on you! I would love that.

The Tragopan stuff is quite pricey, but man does it look nice. I may have to try to do a cheaper DIY version at some point.

The wild songbirds need and use water as much as food. A simple bird bath to start will work. Birds are attracted by movement in/on the water. A simple water drip into the bird bath will help to get their attention.

Add perches strategically positioned close to the feeders and bird bath that the birds can stop on before continuing down to the feeder or bath.

After you have the feeders, water, and perches in place consider a photo blind to shoot from - you'll be able to get closer to your avian models. Start will something simple. Something is needed to shield yourself/human form from their view when feeding or at the bird bath or perches. A piece of fabric, old blanket, etc hung-up that you can set behind with your camera on tripod will work. Birds won't care if it's latest hi-tech camo pattern, etc or an old worn blanket.

Later consider a pop-up hunting/photo blind to shoot from - less than $100 on Amazon.

As for better background - try to use shallow DOF if possible. Then position your blind and yourself when shooting to take advantage of exisiting better backgrounds. Try to keep the sun light coming from behind you as much as possible when shooting. You could even create your own small backgrounds to strategically place a distance behind the perches, etc. when shooting.

Yes, water is one thing I am lacking and need to work on! I've tried a couple of bird baths but they were all too deep (even with rocks placed inside) and I found that the birds would not touch them.

I'm looking to pick up one of these:

which I've seen good reviews saying the depth is perfect and birds will love it. also working on building some DIY water fountains that hummingbirds might love:

BTW instead of a pond, consider a fountain, then you have a raised platform. Ours is petrified wood and we have it on a timer.
Not sure what you will do for backgrounds with either as you still have the fence behind.
Auto Capture will let you move the gear forward even without a blind. Also you might be able to have Snapbridge control the camera from your deck.

My whole life I was pretty indifferent to the little birds, but recently friends and family have gotten me more engaged. I also bought my first house and finally have a yard and space to cultivate an area for the birds.

This is my first spring in the house, so right now I'm just trying to attract whatever I can. I have a variety of feeders, no water features yet (other than the river in the background).

One issue I have is that with the rather small space, backgrounds are quite busy. If anyone has suggestions for how I could setup a more photo friendly environment, that would be awesome!

I think I need to build some perches that sit closer to the middle of the yard, away from the fence. I also definitely need some bird baths or a pond.

Looking forward to any feedback on my setup, and seeing the setups everyone else has!

View attachment 86681View attachment 86682View attachment 86683View attachment 86684View attachment 86685View attachment 86686View attachment 86687View attachment 86688

View attachment 86681View attachment 86682View attachment 86683View attachment 86684View attachment 86685View attachment 86686View attachment 86687View attachment 86688
The images are great.

I put up two perches on Saturday and so far I haven't seen anyone try it out.

Just grabbed a bird bath tonight, so hopefully I'll have guests in it tomorrow

I also relocated a bat house, but you can ignore that

20240415_195542 - Copy.jpg

Sorry for the delay. Photo of branch attached to deck rail. Make sure you put the pointy bit in the hole the right way up otherwise it doesn't work.
Takes a while to gain the trust of the birds but well worth the effort.

_H0A5247 resize.jpg

Suggestion - the perch in the middle has too many branches. Trim it down to 1-2 branches in the best photo op locations

The birds usually stay on the perches for only short periods of time - too many choices and you won't be able to get your camera on them and focused, zoomed etc in time before they leave the perch.

Just grabbed a bird bath tonight, so hopefully I'll have guests in it tomorrow

I also relocated a bat house, but you can ignore that

View attachment 86876
Looks good! Might take a few days for them to become comfortable with the setup. Also with the bird bath you might attract some colorful spring migrants! Have you taken any test shots to confirm the fence isn't visible in the background? That could be quite distracting but hopefully it's far enough away that all you'll see is green from the foliage behind the fence.

Sorry for the delay. Photo of branch attached to deck rail. Make sure you put the pointy bit in the hole the right way up otherwise it doesn't work.
Takes a while to gain the trust of the birds but well worth the effort.

looks great! you must be somewhere "exotic" to get such a cool backyard bird. kookaburra?

Suggestion - the perch in the middle has too many branches. Trim it down to 1-2 branches in the best photo op locations

The birds usually stay on the perches for only short periods of time - too many choices and you won't be able to get your camera on them and focused, zoomed etc in time before they leave the perch.

excellent idea. I think I'll give it a few days and see if they use any of the perches, and then go from there. I may have to take down some of my feeders because right now they have too many choices and are exclusively using the feeders, or the branches from the trees behind it as perches.

Looks good! Might take a few days for them to become comfortable with the setup. Also with the bird bath you might attract some colorful spring migrants! Have you taken any test shots to confirm the fence isn't visible in the background? That could be quite distracting but hopefully it's far enough away that all you'll see is green from the foliage behind the fence.

yep, that's my hope! I'm working on building some hummingbird/oriole setups too. southern michigan has seen some of them coming through so it shouldn't be long for my house

I also learned that 1/3 of my bluebird houses is occupied in the backyard, which is great news! I might have to set something up back there for them as well

I have some images form 2020, way back. Since then all the flowers have changed. The bluebird house is still there as we speak with a pair incubating eggs. I was using sabre units to trigger the camera's catching the blue birds flying in and out. The white cloth over the camera bodies was to protect them from the heat. For backgrounds I had stretched some cloth over 60 x 40 inch poster board (from Hobby Lobby) and fastened them up. As mentioned in an earlier post Allen Murphy does a lot of this type of photography. He has some fabulous images. I have taken several of his workshops.

I have removed all the perennial flowers and ground cover. Switched over to annual patches that I reseed each spring and mulch. That is what I'm doing now, waiting for them to flower.

Background.jpeg
Bluebird house.jpeg
Sabre.jpeg

If your property runs down to the river, then I’d get rid of the back section of fence and plant native shrubs & trees. The river and opposite bank would offer some nice background opportunities. You also could set up tree branches close to your feeders, so that birds will perch on them coming and going, thus avoiding having feeders in the images. I like to drill out small depressions in dead tree branches and fill the holes with mealworms and suet, then bury the branch base near the feeders. You can get very creative in making and placing such props, so that they display appropriate foliage and blossoms. Marie Read has a wonderful book, Mastering the Art of Bird Photography, which is full of such ideas.

Good luck, and enjoy your beautiful home!

I have tried using clay pot trays and found that a depth of 2.75 inches is ideal for birds of all sizes. I had tried a tray with a depth a depth of 4 inches and the birds would not go near it. As I have squirrels and raccoons on the property a standard bird bath would have not worked. Also much easier to dump the contents of the tray every other day and put in fresh water.

Another option I am considering is a pre-fab shower bottom as these are available from building supply stores with 2.75 center depth and even in black acrylic and in sizes of 32x60 or 36x36 depending on what one wants for a reflecting pond setup. I found folding dual height tables that can have a height of either 14 inches or 27 inches. Not cheap but it is a setup that can be quickly set up and taken down when not being used.

For shallow rectangular bird baths I've used whats called a "boot tray".

Made of thick plastic in different sizes with a lip about 1.5 inches tall. Available on Amazon.

I have some images form 2020, way back. Since then all the flowers have changed. The bluebird house is still there as we speak with a pair incubating eggs. I was using sabre units to trigger the camera's catching the blue birds flying in and out. The white cloth over the camera bodies was to protect them from the heat. For backgrounds I had stretched some cloth over 60 x 40 inch poster board (from Hobby Lobby) and fastened them up. As mentioned in an earlier post Allen Murphy does a lot of this type of photography. He has some fabulous images. I have taken several of his workshops.

I have removed all the perennial flowers and ground cover. Switched over to annual patches that I reseed each spring and mulch. That is what I'm doing now, waiting for them to flower.

Excellent pictures thank you! This is exactly the type of example/inspiration I was looking for.

I've seen a couple of similar "backdrops" people have made. And am considering draping camouflage cloth over the wire fence.

If your property runs down to the river, then I’d get rid of the back section of fence and plant native shrubs & trees. The river and opposite bank would offer some nice background opportunities. You also could set up tree branches close to your feeders, so that birds will perch on them coming and going, thus avoiding having feeders in the images. I like to drill out small depressions in dead tree branches and fill the holes with mealworms and suet, then bury the branch base near the feeders. You can get very creative in making and placing such props, so that they display appropriate foliage and blossoms. Marie Read has a wonderful book, Mastering the Art of Bird Photography, which is full of such ideas.

Good luck, and enjoy your beautiful home!

One issue is that it's about a 20' steep drop from the feeders down to the river. Another issue is that the white fence is technically owned by the neighbor, and he has an ugly barn and bee keeping setup behind it. So even if I could remove it - it wouldn't look very aesthetic.

I have considered removing the chain link fence which is on my property. but I'm not sure if the slight increase in OOF background would be worth giving deer, turkeys, etc. unfettered access to the feeders and whatever plants I might put in there.

I have tried using clay pot trays and found that a depth of 2.75 inches is ideal for birds of all sizes. I had tried a tray with a depth a depth of 4 inches and the birds would not go near it. As I have squirrels and raccoons on the property a standard bird bath would have not worked. Also much easier to dump the contents of the tray every other day and put in fresh water.

Another option I am considering is a pre-fab shower bottom as these are available from building supply stores with 2.75 center depth and even in black acrylic and in sizes of 32x60 or 36x36 depending on what one wants for a reflecting pond setup. I found folding dual height tables that can have a height of either 14 inches or 27 inches. Not cheap but it is a setup that can be quickly set up and taken down when not being used.

Good note on depth. My previous bird bath was 3" and nothing touched it. The ones from Lowe's have changing depths depending on the bird using it, so I think it's pretty ideal. It has been a few days and nobody has tried it yet though. I'm wondering if I need to add a "bubbler" or "dripper" to demonstrate to the birds that the water is moving.

I've also been looking at building a reflection pool like this, about 1" deep but something like 20" x 48".

That folding chair + shower bottom is definitely intriguing. There is value in being able to put up and take down the stuff quickly, so as to make my yard look more natural for human guests.

For shallow rectangular bird baths I've used whats called a "boot tray".

Made of thick plastic in different sizes with a lip about 1.5 inches tall. Available on Amazon.

Great idea!

I have used boot or pet dish trays for boots and under sinks but they are too flimsy for use with birds. The clay trays are rigid and the edge is wider and birds like it. I have everything from small finches up to a red tailed hawk visiting it. It sits only about 3 inches above the ground and so I need something higher to make it easier on the photographer.

The clay trays for plant pots have been purchased at local garden centers in my area. My current one is 21 inches in diameter and the largest I have been able to find.

Some big updates today! After about 4 days of being out there, birds finally started using the perches and the bird bath.

I made some small adjustments by trimming the lower branches on the perches, as well as relocating some feeders to try and concentrate everything nearer to the perches. I went walking around the property and got some pics of other birds with flowering trees. And found a bluebird on an old stump. I uprooted the stump and then added it to the enclosed area.

Still mainly observing the birds, as well as working on technique and getting good OOF backgrounds. I find that chain link fence to be pretty distracting so I definitely need a solution for that.

Untitled.png

Z92_4290_DxO - Copy.jpg
Z92_4309_DxO - Copy.jpg
Z92_4342_DxO - Copy.jpg
Z92_4345_DxO - Copy.jpg
Z92_4394_DxO - Copy.jpg
Z92_4498_DxO - Copy.jpg
Z92_4531_DxO - Copy.jpg

Back