Backyard Birding setups!

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I might be on the wrong track. I live in SE Queensland, semi-rural. The birds are friendly, some species more than others. Those that are migratory don't come to the granny flat so they don't count. The friendliest have been Kookaburras, Magpies, Scally breasted Lorikeets, and King parrots. I cut back on the feeding because the birds were coming into the granny flat demanding food. The Magpie was the worst. Kookaburras did not come into the flat but I do hand feed them.
Question is do you have birds in North America that are friendly?

I found some setups from 2013 for hummingbirds. I never did have much success with them here in TN. This morning I will be planting 4 Major Wheeler Honey suckle plants hopefully that and feeders + other flowers will bring more in this summer. I'll give it another try.

Setup 2013_09_04-019.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Setup 2011_09_14-005.jpg

Hummingbird 2013-09-04 073.jpg

New to this so apologies if this is a dumb question, but is flash photography common in bird photography? Doesn't that blind them?

This subject can be almost as controversial as live baiting.

Flash used outdoors for birds is done fairly often, Outdoors in daylight the birds barely notice flash in prevailing strong ambient sunlight. Flash is usually employed as fill-flash sometimes with a flash extender such as a Better Beamer and other similar devices for focusing the flash at longer distances when using telephoto lenses.

Multiple flashes are used often for up-close hummingbird photography. My experience is the hummers barely noticed the flashes and it seemed to rarely ever drive them away from a feeder.

I might be on the wrong track. I live in SE Queensland, semi-rural. The birds are friendly, some species more than others. Those that are migratory don't come to the granny flat so they don't count. The friendliest have been Kookaburras, Magpies, Scally breasted Lorikeets, and King parrots. I cut back on the feeding because the birds were coming into the granny flat demanding food. The Magpie was the worst. Kookaburras did not come into the flat but I do hand feed them.
Question is do you have birds in North America that are friendly?

There are some local state parks where birds are "trained" and will come up, sit on your shoulder, eat from your hand, etc. but I do not ever find these in the wild.

If I stand in my yard long enough with seeds in my hand - a chickadee will come and try some. But it's definitely the exception more than the rule.

New to this so apologies if this is a dumb question, but is flash photography common in bird photography? Doesn't that blind them?

Agree with Phil above. Hot contested subject.

I've never used flash for wildlife, but I do see lots of others using it in camera trapping, owl shooting, etc. I don't think there will ever be a definitive answer to the question. Some people say it's all fine, some say it blinds them and results in death.

I've had good luck with this blind - more room inside than some others:
https://www.amazon.com/Ameristep-AM...prefix=doghouse+blind,sporting,90&sr=1-6&th=1

Hanging up a piece of camo material or other neutral-toned fabric will work also.

I could write a book on this topic, but it would not compare to e books already done by Alan Murphy:

https://www.alanmurphyphotography.com/shop

https://www.alanmurphyphotography.com/product-page/the-guide-to-songbird-setup-photography

In addition to the postings above,
I use a 400mm or a 500mm lens;
Distance from the lens to a single perch placed by me is very close to the minimum focus distance of the lens.
Lens aperture is set to wide open; Sometimes it is closed down a bit to allow or more DOF on the subjectt;
Perch placement is set so background is as clean as possible and free of light reflections.
If background is hard to control, raise or lower the perch and/or your shooting position so a cleaner and more uniform background is present, like green grass;
If water is not available use a 5 gallon water jug and have it drip onto a surface so the drip creates noise.
Adding color to the background can be done by adding potted plants that are blooming; hand made colored plywood, etc.

Background rendering is impacted by how close you are to the subject; how far the subject is from the background; and the aperture of the lens used. In my backyard setups, this is the order I follow to control backgrounds, assuming you do not change the focal length of the lens. Generally speaking a longer focal length lens works better than a shorter one (for background control) but MFD of each lens plays a role too.

The speedlights put out a 1/10000s burst of light which does not disrupt hummers even at close distances. Hummers become used to humans and focus more on the food source being provided. Competition between hummers is more of an issue and I minimize this by having 4 feeders that are spread apart.

With all other bird that visit my property during the year when I sit quietly they ignore me. Predators move when stalking and prey animals instinctively react to this movement. A blind can mask the movement of the person inside when the camera to subject distance is quite short. Even sitting down with my camera makes me appear to be much less of a potential threat to wildlife.

RE blinds: I think the area I want to put it (on the porch, so I can take advantage of the 2' height increase) doesn't really have enough room. I ordered a ghillie suit (lol) but find that already if I just stand still enough the birds don't mind. so far everything I've been doing has been handholding but I could easily bring out a tripod or mount a gimbal to the deck rail itself.

I could write a book on this topic, but it would not compare to e books already done by Alan Murphy:

https://www.alanmurphyphotography.com/shop

https://www.alanmurphyphotography.com/product-page/the-guide-to-songbird-setup-photography

In addition to the postings above,
I use a 400mm or a 500mm lens;
Distance from the lens to a single perch placed by me is very close to the minimum focus distance of the lens.
Lens aperture is set to wide open; Sometimes it is closed down a bit to allow or more DOF on the subjectt;
Perch placement is set so background is as clean as possible and free of light reflections.
If background is hard to control, raise or lower the perch and/or your shooting position so a cleaner and more uniform background is present, like green grass;
If water is not available use a 5 gallon water jug and have it drip onto a surface so the drip creates noise.
Adding color to the background can be done by adding potted plants that are blooming; hand made colored plywood, etc.

Background rendering is impacted by how close you are to the subject; how far the subject is from the background; and the aperture of the lens used. In my backyard setups, this is the order I follow to control backgrounds, assuming you do not change the focal length of the lens. Generally speaking a longer focal length lens works better than a shorter one (for background control) but MFD of each lens plays a role too.

This is excellent stuff! I'm not familiar with Alan but I'll have to read up. I've been mainly shooting with my 400TC/800PF, but will add my 180-600 when it arrives. I've been working on stopping down more to get the best detail that I can out of pictures. I have an example below of 400TC + 2x + 1.4x at 1120mm f10 that I was really pleased with.

I definitely want to add some colorful flowers in the background, or eventually plant trees or vines that can cover up at least the fence areas. using camo cloth may have to do in the meantime.

Good to know about how background rendering is impacted. I think I'm currently about 16 - 30' away but I can definitely close that gap if it's helpful.

here are some pics from today - which was a rather gray and somewhat rainy day

Z91_6613_DxO - Copy.jpg
Z91_6641_DxO - Copy.jpg
Z91_6658_DxO - Copy.jpg
Z91_6693_DxO - Copy.jpg
Z91_6831_DxO - Copy.jpg

Some big updates today! After about 4 days of being out there, birds finally started using the perches and the bird bath.

I made some small adjustments by trimming the lower branches on the perches, as well as relocating some feeders to try and concentrate everything nearer to the perches. I went walking around the property and got some pics of other birds with flowering trees. And found a bluebird on an old stump. I uprooted the stump and then added it to the enclosed area.

Still mainly observing the birds, as well as working on technique and getting good OOF backgrounds. I find that chain link fence to be pretty distracting so I definitely need a solution for that.

View attachment 87013

View attachment 87014View attachment 87015View attachment 87016View attachment 87017View attachment 87018View attachment 87019View attachment 87020
Some big updates today! After about 4 days of being out there, birds finally started using the perches and the bird bath.

I made some small adjustments by trimming the lower branches on the perches, as well as relocating some feeders to try and concentrate everything nearer to the perches. I went walking around the property and got some pics of other birds with flowering trees. And found a bluebird on an old stump. I uprooted the stump and then added it to the enclosed area.

Still mainly observing the birds, as well as working on technique and getting good OOF backgrounds. I find that chain link fence to be pretty distracting so I definitely need a solution for that.

View attachment 87013

View attachment 87014View attachment 87015View attachment 87016View attachment 87017View attachment 87018View attachment 87019View attachment 87020
First I'd take the screw out of the log and chip away at the edges so it does not appear to be cut. I like my photos to be as natural as possible and that includes perches, background, etc. As someone above mentioned, why not take out the fence; is it needed?? If you cannot take out the fence, why not set up on the other side of the fence between the fence and the river? Lastly, plant some heavy green foliage next to the fence or even use a camo blanket draped over the fence.

Last edited:
I recently bought a blind from Tidewe. It’s see through from the inside with lots of openings. On the first day, I had to zoom OUT with my 180-600 for a bluebird! My backyard abuts a park, so I have no problem finding clean backgrounds. I have a few moveable perches, but my plan is to add a bunch perches along the fence with the park as my background. See photos.

Attachments

• IMG_1122.jpeg
    IMG_1122.jpeg
    559.9 KB · Views: 19
  • _Z088570_Original.jpeg
    _Z088570_Original.jpeg
    137.1 KB · Views: 19
I have this chair blind. There is enough room for a tripod which can be set so one leg protrudes out the front zipper. The chair is fairly comfortable. It's rain resistant, but you will get some drips in a strong rain. They make in different sizes (I use the smallest one) and can be found under $100. Not super rugged, but nice and quick to set up.

I built a simple feeder out of PVC pipe and scraps of cedar. I added a seed catch with a framed piece of window screen to keep seeds off the ground and racoons away. The scraps top and sides force the birds to fly more straight in and predictable as well as rain protection. One side is removed for detail. The top comes off to add seed. I put on a mobile stand so I can move depending on evening or morning light.

feeder.jpg

I added a screen below all my feeders and the mess reduction keeps my wife a lot happier.

feeder 2.jpg

Since I am still using just an inexpensive old Nikon D7500 I often pre-focus on a spot just in front of the feeder and capture birds as they fly in. The blind is OK, but if it is too cold or I'm just lazy and would rather sit inside with a single malt scotch, I found this remote actually fires my camera in continuous high from inside the house from >50 yards away. You have to set the unit to B (bulb) and the receiver is VERY sensitive to battery type. Once I tried some standard Duracell and it only fired intermittently. Switched back to 2 AAA Energizers and it once again fired at the same speed as the camera does directly.

remote.jpg

Resized Fem Card Sunlit - Copy.jpg

Nice use of flash. With speedlights the output voltage of ALL the batteries is important for the device's electronic circuitry to work properly. It only takes a single battery to affect the combined output voltage of the set. I found that the ZTS pulse load tester has enabled me to spot a failing battery before it can cause problems. Especially with NiMh batteries that at best provide 1.2 volts a single one that is not at 100% can prevent proper functioning of the flash electronics. The longevity of the batteries has not been a function of their age or how many times they have been recharged or the brand used.

My yard. All These were taken from my deck. It's a great vantage point for me. I've planted a lot of berry trees (Service Berry, Hawthorn, and Dogwood) hoping to bring in birds that like fruit. The house is a Bluebird house, they currently have 5 eggs in it, hatching due a week from today. Bird photos to follow.
BCG-1_Back-750_6708-NR.jpg
BCG-1_DeckRight-750_6710-NR.jpg
BCG-1_Front-750_6715-NR.jpg

Some photos. All taken from my back deck, except for the House Wren which was taken from an open back window and the Titmouse on the Sunflower which was taken from an open front window. My deck is nice because it's covered so I don't have to worry about rain or snow so much, unless the wind is blowing in from the west. My yard is still a work in progress.
BCG-1CR_CedarWaxwing-NZ98369-NR.jpg
BCG-1CR_HouseWrens-NZ81563-NR.jpg
BCG-1CR_RedBellyFemale-NZ98893-NR.jpg
BCG-1CR_Red-wingedBlackbird-NZ88826-NR.jpg
BCG-1CR_TuftedTitmous-NZ91509-NR.jpg
BCG-2CR_Nesting-NZ94040-NR.jpg

I have two acres fenced in so I can have good cover near by. Then I built out of drift wood pieces a bird garden about 20 ft from my patio with several bird baths and my wife’s garden nearby. I also have two platforms but I mainly put out various food and can sit on the patio with my morning coffee,my guitar and my camera with a 400 f4.5 and the 1.4tc. The birds adjust to my presence especially if I play guitar. Depending on the time of year I get pretty good birds close at 20ft away. I put on the driftwood various feeding stations and millet etc on the ground in front.

I'd like to invite everyone to post their backyard birding setups!

My whole life I was pretty indifferent to the little birds, but recently friends and family have gotten me more engaged. I also bought my first house and finally have a yard and space to cultivate an area for the birds.

This is my first spring in the house, so right now I'm just trying to attract whatever I can. I have a variety of feeders, no water features yet (other than the river in the background).

One issue I have is that with the rather small space, backgrounds are quite busy. If anyone has suggestions for how I could setup a more photo friendly environment, that would be awesome!

I think I need to build some perches that sit closer to the middle of the yard, away from the fence. I also definitely need some bird baths or a pond.

Looking forward to any feedback on my setup, and seeing the setups everyone else has!

View attachment 86681View attachment 86682View attachment 86683View attachment 86684View attachment 86685View attachment 86686View attachment 86687View attachment 86688
Gee that 800mm even with the TCs is so impressive.

First I'd take the screw out of the log and chip away at the edges so it does not appear to be cut. I like my photos to be as natural as possible and that includes perches, background, etc. As someone above mentioned, why not take out the fence; is it needed?? If you cannot take out the fence, why not set up on the other side of the fence between the fence and the river? Lastly, plant some heavy green foliage next to the fence or even use a camo blanket draped over the fence.

yup the first thing I did was remove the screw. unfortunately it was caught in the Bluebird pics, but I wasn't even aware that perch was on the property until then. good call about chipping the edges as well.

the chain link fence can be removed, the white one is not (it's not my property). I have considered removing the chain link, but I think it will help to keep out deer and other larger animals if/when I start planting things inside.

I could setup between the fence and the river, but it's not nearly as much space and it would be more difficult to setup feeders in a way that squirrels/raccoons could not reach/destroy them

foliage is definitely on the menu. I need to do more research on native plants and figure out what would support a lot of birdlife. camo is probably going to end up being the short term answer.

I recently bought a blind from Tidewe. It’s see through from the inside with lots of openings. On the first day, I had to zoom OUT with my 180-600 for a bluebird! My backyard abuts a park, so I have no problem finding clean backgrounds. I have a few moveable perches, but my plan is to add a bunch perches along the fence with the park as my background. See photos.

that is an awesome setup! beautiful picture with exactly the type of background I am looking for

I have this chair blind. There is enough room for a tripod which can be set so one leg protrudes out the front zipper. The chair is fairly comfortable. It's rain resistant, but you will get some drips in a strong rain. They make in different sizes (I use the smallest one) and can be found under $100. Not super rugged, but nice and quick to set up.

I built a simple feeder out of PVC pipe and scraps of cedar. I added a seed catch with a framed piece of window screen to keep seeds off the ground and racoons away. The scraps top and sides force the birds to fly more straight in and predictable as well as rain protection. One side is removed for detail. The top comes off to add seed. I put on a mobile stand so I can move depending on evening or morning light.

I added a screen below all my feeders and the mess reduction keeps my wife a lot happier.

Since I am still using just an inexpensive old Nikon D7500 I often pre-focus on a spot just in front of the feeder and capture birds as they fly in. The blind is OK, but if it is too cold or I'm just lazy and would rather sit inside with a single malt scotch, I found this remote actually fires my camera in continuous high from inside the house from >50 yards away. You have to set the unit to B (bulb) and the receiver is VERY sensitive to battery type. Once I tried some standard Duracell and it only fired intermittently. Switched back to 2 AAA Energizers and it once again fired at the same speed as the camera does directly.

having the modular feeder that can be moved is a great idea. I like the window screen to catch scraps as well. we have a big problem with both squirrels and raccoons here. I may have to look into something similar.

excellent cardinal capture! and a great image to think of drinking a scotch while effortlessly capturing birds

My yard. All These were taken from my deck. It's a great vantage point for me. I've planted a lot of berry trees (Service Berry, Hawthorn, and Dogwood) hoping to bring in birds that like fruit. The house is a Bluebird house, they currently have 5 eggs in it, hatching due a week from today. Bird photos to follow.

Some photos. All taken from my back deck, except for the House Wren which was taken from an open back window and the Titmouse on the Sunflower which was taken from an open front window. My deck is nice because it's covered so I don't have to worry about rain or snow so much, unless the wind is blowing in from the west. My yard is still a work in progress.

lovely yard Patty! fruit trees are definitely on my list!

I still have yet to see a cedar waxwing in real life. that's a great capture!

I have two acres fenced in so I can have good cover near by. Then I built out of drift wood pieces a bird garden about 20 ft from my patio with several bird baths and my wife’s garden nearby. I also have two platforms but I mainly put out various food and can sit on the patio with my morning coffee,my guitar and my camera with a 400 f4.5 and the 1.4tc. The birds adjust to my presence especially if I play guitar. Depending on the time of year I get pretty good birds close at 20ft away. I put on the driftwood various feeding stations and millet etc on the ground in front.

that sounds like a great setup Mac! you should post some pics if you get a chance.

Gee that 800mm even with the TCs is so impressive.

It sure is! The price to performance argument for the 800PF is awesome. It was the main reason I swapped from Canon to Nikon, as I found it is comparable in quality, if not better, than my RF 600 + 1.4x was while being 2lbs lighter, 5" shorter, and almost $8,000 cheaper.

I've considered selling it a few times since I will often prefer my 400TC. But the lightweight 800PF is sooooo good especially for little birds.

Last edited:
lovely yard Patty! fruit trees are definitely on my list!

I still have yet to see a cedar waxwing in real life. that's a great capture!
Thank you! The waxwings were one of my favorite reasons for planting berry trees. Now, I'm shopping for berry bushes, there's enough space between some of my trees to plant them. I'm a sucker for fruit birds, my bluebirds love them as well.

I could setup between the fence and the river, but it's not nearly as much space and it would be more difficult to setup feeders in a way that squirrels/raccoons could not reach/destroy them
Birds don't mind Cayenne Pepper. Mammals do.

Bird seed soaked in Cayenne Pepper oil is commercially available, and I mix a generous amount of Cayenne Pepper powder into peanut butter for my woodpeckers.

Back