Backyard Wildlife photos

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Looked outside a couple of days ago to see this young single tined Mule Deer buck trying hard to eat out of our fly through bird feeder.
Nikon D5, 300mm PF f/4, 1/800" ISO 2000
D51_7385-Edit.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Mid september, the hazelbush outside one of my bedroom windows is popular amongst the critters
in the garden. And so are the old appletrees outside the other window. :)
750_5411 (2).JPG
750_5737 (2).JPG

Last edited:
Some more from the same session.
1602879780118.png

He who searches he shall find! :)

1602879882210.png

A technical question: i tried to upload these pics in my previous post but got an error message, to large.
So i uploaded to Fb, copied and pasted them here and it worked .
I reckon there is a better way to downsize a pic but being useless with computers i dont know how 😅
has someone got any tips?

A technical question: i tried to upload these pics in my previous post but got an error message, to large.
Yeah, ideally photos posted here won't be wider than 1200 pixels nor taller than 800 pixels but the important thing is the overall file size must be less than 1 Megabyte or the forum software will reject them.

Do you use any kind of image editing software and what kind of computer are you using (Mac, PC)? Any image editing software can be used to resize files to the pixel dimensions shown above which will also reduce the size of the resulting jpegs to much less than the 1MB file size limit. If you don't currently have image editing software there are free versions available for most computer systems and also software apps that just handle the resizing.

Curious about the noise of my camera, she was looking in the direction of the blind.
Hard to say, but blind or not most animals including birds know we're there and often glance our way. Even with a silent camera they see that big round eye looking their way and even tiny motions like repositioning the lens or moving our hands are likely noticed. I suspect most wildlife knows something is close by even when we work from a blind but perhaps don't see us as such an obvious threat when we don't present ourselves in easily identifiable human form.

Personally I don't worry much about DSLR shutter noise and even having shot some silent shutter mirrorless cameras don't find shutter noise to be a make or break deal. Sure some subjects disappear in a hurry at the sound of the first shutter release, others twitch or jump and others don't seem to care even among members of the same species. FWIW, we get both Hairy and Downey Woodpeckers in the yard and more often than not I can fire off a handful of full noise shooting bursts without spooking them but other times the simple act of pointing the lens their way is enough to scare them away.

If and when I transition my wildlife shooting to mirrorless cameras I'll probably be happy to have silent shutters but reading various web posts I'd say folks assign too much importance to this feature for wildlife work. Some subjects will scurry no matter how silent our cameras are, others will stick around for a portrait session and the trick is putting in enough time to find more of the latter.

Yeah, ideally photos posted here won't be wider than 1200 pixels nor taller than 800 pixels but the important thing is the overall file size must be less than 1 Megabyte or the forum software will reject them.

Do you use any kind of image editing software and what kind of computer are you using (Mac, PC)? Any image editing software can be used to resize files to the pixel dimensions shown above which will also reduce the size of the resulting jpegs to much less than the 1MB file size limit. If you don't currently have image editing software there are free versions available for most computer systems and also software apps that just handle the resizing.

Hi DR, thanks for your reply!

I'm on a PC, old one so the software i (hardly) use is running very slow.
The Nikon software, Transfer, ViewNX and CaptureNX is all i've got.

A better performing PC is a must as i want to learn editing properly , i feel a bit crippled with the one i have.

/Jan

I'm on a PC, old one so the software i (hardly) use is running very slow.
The Nikon software, Transfer, ViewNX and CaptureNX is all i've got.
I know CaptureNX can be used to batch resize a group of images for export as jpegs. I don't know how convenient it is to resize one image at a time for web posting but I suspect it can be done.

But with a PC there are other options. One built in way to go is to use the Paint program included with windows to resize the pixel dimensions of an image. There are also free third party apps that easily handle image resizing on a PC. This article talks about some of those options including using Window's Paint for resizing: https://www.howtogeek.com/354015/how-to-resize-images-and-photos-in-windows/

I know CaptureNX can be used to batch resize a group of images for export as jpegs. I don't know how convenient it is to resize one image at a time for web posting but I suspect it can be done.

But with a PC there are other options. One built in way to go is to use the Paint program included with windows to resize the pixel dimensions of an image. There are also free third party apps that easily handle image resizing on a PC. This article talks about some of those options including using Window's Paint for resizing: https://www.howtogeek.com/354015/how-to-resize-images-and-photos-in-windows/

I will look into it, many thanks! :)

I will look into it, many thanks! :)
Back in my geekier Linux days I used "Gimp" for image editing and resizing. It is open source and fairly intuitive, not sure what versions are available these days.

@Gillholm

You could try Faststone Photo Resizer. Fast, not bloated software and free. They also have free, Image Viewer which is quite a powerful viewer and editor. I use it a lot for very quick viewing and culling.

@Gillholm

Check whatever software you test to see whether any large changes of quality occur when you edit, resize/convert, you have to expect some but some software does the job better than others.

I find the XnView (https://www.xnview.com/en/apps/) offerings to be very good. All platforms.
The free old version NIK collection (https://www.techspot.com/downloads/6809-google-nik-collection.html) is also useful and in most cases can be integrated into most image processing software. Windows and MAC.

I also use Irfanview (https://www.irfanview.com/) for some editing(limited), viewing and resizing, the included Irfanview Thumbnails is good to peruse many images at a time, it also uses Irfanview for some actions. Windows.

The above software can use the NIK collection if required.

All of the software that is being tested needs to be checked for your personal needs as you may find simplpy you prefer one GUI over another for instance.
But go for the best result to your eyes and spend what you can afford, not really a problem as there are plenty of free packages out there to try first.

@Gillholm

Check whatever software you test to see whether any large changes of quality occur when you edit, resize/convert, you have to expect some but some software does the job better than others.

I find the XnView (https://www.xnview.com/en/apps/) offerings to be very good. All platforms.
The free old version NIK collection (https://www.techspot.com/downloads/6809-google-nik-collection.html) is also useful and in most cases can be integrated into most image processing software. Windows and MAC.

I also use Irfanview (https://www.irfanview.com/) for some editing(limited), viewing and resizing, the included Irfanview Thumbnails is good to peruse many images at a time, it also uses Irfanview for some actions. Windows.

The above software can use the NIK collection if required.

All of the software that is being tested needs to be checked for your personal needs as you may find simplpy you prefer one GUI over another for instance.
But go for the best result to your eyes and spend what you can afford, not really a problem as there are plenty of free packages out there to try first.

Thanks a lot, i'll be busy trying all these out! :)

I hesitated to share this here due to low IQ, but this thread needed a bump.
This Mule deer buck has been sneaking in at night and cleaning out the bird feeders so I was happy to have just enough light left to snap a quick photo last night. I refill the feeders in the morning for the quail and doves.
D850, 200-500mm f/5.6, 1/500 sec, ISO 6400 at 500mm handheld
850_4970.jpg

This Mule deer buck has been sneaking in at night and cleaning out the bird feeders...
Nice Hut, he's a good looking buck.

Speaking of bird feed and deer, the mulies were hitting my feeders pretty hard about a month ago so I hung them up higher and hadn't seen them in the yard since. But then this evening my wife woke me from my post processing stupor to tell me there were half a dozen deer in the front yard... and our front yard is tiny. So I took a look and it was a foraging frenzy as the deer pawed through the snow looking for seeds the birds had dropped from the feeders. It was kind of chaotic and hard to photograph but I liked this little one scrounging for some feed near one of my favorite perches.

D850, 70-200mm @95mm, f/4, 1/640", ISO 3200
850_8616-Edit.jpg

Back