Backyard Wildlife photos

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

American Kestrel in the early morning sun.
AAA73DB6-0DC7-462D-BD17-0D421A097288.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

I just spotted this guy/gal preening on my well head. First shot is 1400 ISO, second shot is 3600 ISO. Gotta love the 500/500 combo and DeNoise AI! :) (y)

GGO Scratch 1-1004-IMG_00001.jpg

GGO Scratch-1004-IMG_00001.jpg

I thought I would share this here since we all share the same interest in our back yard birds and critters.
For many here it is nothing new but for me I was very excited to be chosen for the National Audubon Society Bird from Home gallery.
Our backyard Quail is towards the top sharing the stage with a White-crowned Sparrow.
Fantastic shot Hut, well done. And many of the other contributions are also incredible.

Shot these redtails in July in my backyard.
Great image Hut. It's almost surreal with the way both birds pop and stay sharp. Were you stopped down for this shot or is this a heavy crop? I'm just surprised both sets of eyes stayed in such crisp focus. The lighting is also a bit surreal with so much shadow detail, interesting shot. Nicely done!

Nice shots Ralph (y) (y)
I was using the in-camera crop factor(1.3). No post processing crop. I had to mess with the sky. The sky was blown out because of backlighting so I used Luminar’s AI to get it back. I was shooting at f/5.6. I was usually shooting wide open with auto ISO . I started to shoot the first bird when the second one landed right along side the first. They didn’t stay too long but long enough to get several shots.

Last edited:
I was using the in-camera crop factor(1.5). No post processing crop. I had to mess with the sky. The sky was blown out because of backlighting so I used Luminar’s AI to get it back. I was shooting at f/5.6. I was usually shooting wide open with auto ISO . I started to shoot the first bird when the second one landed right along side the first. They didn’t stay too long but long enough to get several shots.
Thanks. Got a little lucky.

I just spotted this guy/gal preening on my well head. First shot is 1400 ISO, second shot is 3600 ISO. Gotta love the 500/500 combo and DeNoise AI! :) (y)

WOW, gotta love that! I get bluejays, you get GreatGreys... LOL!
Very nice, Ivan.
I agree 100% with your assessment of the the hardware combo and DeNoise AI. :cool:

Check out this visitor we had this morning. I'm sitting here drinking coffee and hear the finches all in distress. So, I grab my camera and go see this immature Cooper's Hawk out back near the ground feeders. In retrospect a vertical shot closer would have been ideal.
D500, 200-500mm cropped for straightening
View attachment 5007
You did great! Hawks, even young ones, don't take direction well!:)

Noticed this Cooper's Hawk out back so grabbed a camera quickly and grabbed a few shots a little while ago. Rainy, gloomy, windy day in Central WA,
D850, 200-500mm handheld, cropped
850_4906.jpg

850_4914.jpg

Back