Best Binoculars for Wildlife viewing/Photography

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

marklangner

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I could have sworn I read an article from Steve making binocular recommendations to compliment wildlife photography, but searching the forums and website topics I'm running a blank...any ideas ?

I could have sworn I read an article from Steve making binocular recommendations to compliment wildlife photography, but searching the forums and website topics I'm running a blank...any ideas ?
Wasn't me.

Although I do like my Swarovski Binos :) We have a couple pairs and they are absolutely excellent. Pricy, but when you need to really see detail at a distance, they are invaluable. With $100 binoculars, you see a yellow bird at a distance, with Swarovski binos of the same power, you can tell if it's a goldfinch or yellow warbler.

If you don’t want to spend as much as top of the line Swarovski, Zeiss or Leica binocs cost, take a look at the Nikon Monarch series. There are different grades (3, 5, 7 and HG in order of increasing price, if things haven’t changed recently and my memory serves). I have a pair of 8x42 Monarch 7s that I like a lot. I also have a pair of 8x30 Monarch HGs, a bit more expensive line, that I like for travel and/or hiking. They are very good. Price performance leaders in my experience. I can tell a goldfinch from a yellow warbler with them easily. The Cornell Laboratory of Ornithology does periodic binoc reviews. Not sure how recent the most recent one is.

If you don’t want to spend as much as top of the line Swarovski, Zeiss or Leica binocs cost, take a look at the Nikon Monarch series. There are different grades (3, 5, 7 and HG in order of increasing price, if things haven’t changed recently and my memory serves). I have a pair of 8x42 Monarch 7s that I like a lot. I also have a pair of 8x30 Monarch HGs, a bit more expensive line, that I like for travel and/or hiking. They are very good. Price performance leaders in my experience. I can tell a goldfinch from a yellow warbler with them easily. The Cornell Laboratory of Ornithology does periodic binoc reviews. Not sure how recent the most recent one is.
Interesting - the Swarovski CLs we have are similar in price to the Monarch HGs (we don't have any of the $3000 Swarovskis - even I have limits LOL). I'd love to compare the two - I need another small set for Africa (my wife has had it with me confiscating hers).

Also, I was just looking at prices for Swarovski - is it me or have they increased in price quite a bit the last few years?

Top of the line binoculars spoil people for anything else, but the prices are soooo high. "Almost as good" are Zeiss Conquest or Vortex Razor binoculars. These still cost close to $1000, which is not exactly cheap. The Nikon Monarch HG is another step down without significant loss of quality. Or Monarch 7, just a bit cheaper. Really, you kind of have to decide your budget and then look for the best possible binoculars at that price point. There are a number of binocular testing/recommendation websites you can consult.

...And with all binoculars, rather than just buying online its vital to 'try before you buy'....what works for a magazine reviewer or a blogger, doesn't necessarily work for you in the hand. I've owned (and sold) all the top brands (Leica, Swarovski, Zeiss) over the last 20 years and nothing beats going to a dealer, preferably one with a decent outdoor viewing area, and trying a maximum of 3 bins out at a time, taking your time. Its interesting how initial reactions can change as you spend more time with each pair!

Last edited:
My Leicas are getting close to 30 years - the outside case is showing a bit of color fading but otherwise they are as amazing as on the first day. You get what you pay for and I intend to pass those on to my kids.
i have my uncle’s Leicas too which are 45 years old and my son uses them on all our bird watching outings.

Svaro, Zeiss, Leica - they are that price for a reason; I have changed lenses many times over those years but my leicas are not going anywhere.

Before I switched completely to photography, I spent years as a hunter. I've used everything from really expensive Zeiss binoculars to cheap Tasco. I equate binocular's to camera lenses. To some extent you get what you pay for. A couple things to consider before brand is how much magnification you really need, how much weight to you want to carry around and what attributes are important to you. My current binoculars are 8X28 Vortex Diamondback HD. In the camera lens world I'd compare them to the Nikon 200-500. They perform above their pay grade but like the 200-500, you will see a difference when shooting with a 600F4 but that difference may not offset the cost and weight depending on your goals.

I also have a pair of 10X50 Leupold binoculars. They too are very good but they are very heavy but part of that weight is the 50mm objective lens. You can almost see a black cat standing on a pile of coal at midnight. However, they are overkill for carrying around in the field every day.

Another thing to consider is if you wear glasses. Be sure you get at least 15mm eye relief more is better. Otherwise, you'll be taking your glasses off to look through the field glasses. From personal experience, that is a major pain in the back end.

Do you need waterproof and rubber armor? I like binoculars like this. As a wildlife and nature photographer, my equipment gets banged around, drug through all kinds of dusty, wet, hot and cold conditions. That is important to me but it may not be as much of an issue to someone else.

When you test binoculars be sure to look at something up in a tree against an overcast sky. Chromatic aberration is really a problem with some. The purple fringing can become annoying. My Leupolds mentioned above have this problem but are outstanding in low light. The Vortex have little noticeable fringing but with only a 28mm objective are not as good in bad light although they are clear and bright enough to use in morning and evening.

Lots to think about. I'd suggest starting with what you really want to do with them? What are the attributes most important to you and what is your budget. Like with camera lenses, we may aspire to get the big exotic glass but budget and realistic expectations could mean a 200-500 or one of the 150-600 Tamron or Sigma lenses will be sufficient to meet our needs.

Sorry about droning on so long, hope this helps.

Jeff

A good place to try out some different binoc's is Cabela. They usually have several brand names at different price ranges. I really like our Vortex Razor (around $1600) spotting scope. I would imagine Vortex bino's are also really good. We have both Fujinon and Leupold binocs. The Leupold pair are only about 18 months old. They cost us around $500 if I remember correctly. They're quite good at that price and have a great guarantee. Great guarantee from Vortex too. The Fujinons are very good too but I've had them for roughly 30 years and whatever I might say about them is probably not relevant other than to say they have held up really well. Last but not least, B&H sells binos and scopes. I couldn't get a price break anywhere on a Vortex Razor spotting scope but B&H did give me a free $200 tripod with the scope. You should make a sincere effort to determine what power and objective lens size would serve your needs best. A lot of birders go for 8 or 10 power and an objective lens dia. of say 40 to 50mm. The higher the power the harder to hold steady. The larger the objective lens the better the low light performance.

Last edited:
Another thing to consider is depth of field. I have two pairs of Zeiss, one 8 x 42 which give me good depth of field for birds in a tree, whereas my 10 x 42s are great for hawk watching. The 8 x 42's I bought 10 or 12 years ago for around $1400, sent them in once for service (free), and then I purchased the 10 x 42s on ebay for $1050 used. A really good deal. I would not even remotely consider parting with either of these. Even tho they are an older model the optics are spectacular, excellent in low light and very very clear.

Does anyone have any experience with Image stabilized binoculars? I was looking at the Canon range at the weekend. They have a 18x50 set which look pretty awesome but you pay a price in weight.

Wasn't me.

Although I do like my Swarovski Binos :) We have a couple pairs and they are absolutely excellent. Pricy, but when you need to really see detail at a distance, they are invaluable. With $100 binoculars, you see a yellow bird at a distance, with Swarovski binos of the same power, you can tell if it's a goldfinch or yellow warbler.
The Swarovskis are outstanding, but very pricey. However, you get what you pay for. The way I look at it, it's like buying a series of increasingly better tripods, until you finally buy the one you should have purchased in the first place. You'd be better off investing in quality up front.

Maven Optics here. Local company here in Wyoming that makes some nice glass. Most of the tour groups in Jackson use them. Their spotting scopes are very popular with hunters.

I can't advise on what to buy, but I can tell you not to do what I've done over the years: buy a series of increasingly better and more expensive bins! Years ago I bought a middle of the road Nikon bins, which initially worked fine but after a few years the prisms slipped and they were useless. Then, my wife bought me another smaller but "better" pair of Nikons - same thing happened in a few years. Two years ago I did a lot of research before buying my latest bins, and settled on Nikon Monarch 7s as the best available in my price range. So far, so good. I've been very pleased with them.

You might consider talking with your local birding club - experienced birders are a wealth of good information on bins and lots else. Good luck with your search, and let us know what you decide!

I owned an earlier Monarch 8x42, until I left these in the bush on a sampling trip! I tried a more affordable lesser known brand, which worked but I realized not as well when I bought the new pair of Nikon Monarch 5 12 x42. I find the greater power useful to look into patches of shade etc at longer distances. These are light and easy to carry across my body with a heavy telephoto+DSLR. 8 x 42 gather more light, and have wider FoV etc. All their models are tough, waterproofed etc

here are some links bookmarked:

Nikon changed their models recently, so these help to dissect what's what

use translate https://www.binomania.it/nikon_monarch_hg_videorecensione/

Last edited:
I am giving away my age (!) but somehow I have retained a preference for the feel of porro prism binoculars in my hands. So even though I have some newer binocs (e.g., an excellent pair of Nikon EDG 8 x 42 that I picked up for a song on ebay), I always come back to my Nikon SE ("Superior E") 10 x 42s. They are just plain excellent optically. Their one drawback is that they are not waterproof to the extent of more modern roof prism binocs. However, I will be honest and say that it is rare, indeed, that I stand out in the rain looking at wildlife for long. And when I do, I have various old school methods for keeping them dry, e.g., the rain guard for the eyepieces and a jacket opening to tuck the binocs into.

If I were to run out and buy a new pair of binoculars now (which I won't do, since I am budgeting money for a future Nikon Z9 purchase), I would probably buy the top-of-the-line Zeiss Victory SF, possibly the 8 x 32 model ($2250, ouch) which is reputedly fantastic optically and a bit smaller and more compact than the x42 models.

I don't use them for photography but for long range shooting and hunting I prefer the Canon with stabilization. It is amazing when using more powerful binoculars how stabilization is a game changer.

I have been using a pair of top of the range 10X42 Nikons for the last 20 years or so. They are still outstanding.

I thought that I would have a look at the latest Nikons and Swarovskis and tried them out side by side. I also tried out some Zeiss and Leicas, again very good but not distinctly better than the Nikons. I also do not like the colour rendition of Leicas and Zeiss, preferring the warmth of the Nikons (I have an old pair of Trinovids). All 10X42s and all excellent but not significantly bettter than my Nikons. The Swarovski 10X52 SLCs were very good, perhaps a tad better than my old Nikons but not worth the extra money for a pretty similar performance. Considering the age of my Nikons and the recent advances in optical design and manufacturing, I think this is a huge complement to Nikon.

Then I tried out some 10X42 NL Pure Swarovski glasses. Oh dear! They are actually fairly close to witchcraft! Absolutely stunning in every respect and to put a figure on it, about 15-20% sharper and better colour rendition than my lovely Nikons - in my opinion of course! They also have a wider FOV, zero distortion and zero CA. Needless to say I bought them. I had no choice really and happily still have one kidney left!

Every time I use them, they take my breath away. Stunning! I spent several hours testing them out, as when juggling with this amount of money, you need to be very sure indeed.

My strong advice is, unless you have lots of money or organs to sell, do NOT try these things out. They might well ruin your life if you cannot get them! My justification for this purchase (£2,400!) is that I use them nearly every day, sometimes for many hours at a time. I do not regret buying them for one second.

Last edited:
I have been using a pair of top of the range 10X42 Nikons for the last 20 years or so. They are still outstanding.

I thought that I would have a look at the latest Nikons and Swarovskis and tried them out side by side. I also tried out some Zeiss and Leicas, again very good but not distinctly batter than the Nikons. I also do not like the colour rendition of Leicas and Zeiss, preferring the warmth of the Nikons (I have an old pair of Trinovids). All 10X42s and all excellent but not significantly bettter than my Nikons. The Swarovski 10X52 SLCs were very good, perhaps a tad better than my old Nikons but not worth the extra money for a pretty similar performance. Considering the age of my Nikons and the recent advances in optical design and manufacturing, I think this is a huge complement to Nikon.

Then I tried out some 10X42 NL Pure Swarovski glasses. Oh dear! They are actually fairly close to witchcraft! Absolutely stunning in every respect and to put a figure on it, about 15-20% sharper and better colour rendition than my lovely Nikons - in my opinion of course! They also have a wider FOV, zero distortion and zero CA. Needless to say I bought them. I had no choice really and happily still have one kidney left!

Every time I use them, they take my breath away. Stunning! I spent several hours testing them out, as when juggling with this amount of money, you need to be very sure indeed.

My advice is, unless you have lots of money or organs to sell, do NOT try these things out. They might well ruin your life if you cannot get them! My justification for this purchase (£2,400!) is that I use them nearly every day, sometimes for many hours at a time. I do not regret buying them for one second.

Man, I just looked them up online - those are pricy. I'm glad I don't have a pair to try out!!

Do not try these things out Steve!

Just in case you were considering it, the same is true of the top of the range Swarovski telescope and its zoom eyepiece. No, I do not have one but a friend of mine does. I have a Nikon telescope that again, is excellent but not in the same ball-park as the Swarovski. After looking through the Swarovski, I actually sold my Nikon zoom eyepiece as having experienced the Zwarovski one, it looked very poor! I bought a prime eyepiece lens instead- much better.

There might be some interesting analogies with camera lenses but I would not dare to get into that!

I scored a pair of 10 x 50 Swarovskis about 20 years ago for $900 in the Bargain Cave at Cabelas. At the time they were $2500+ but had been used and returned to Cabelas. They sat in the Bargain Cave for over a year ( I know because every time I had to go south on Interstate 35 I would stop in). They were asking $1500 which would have been fatal for me when I took them home (!) so I kept offering $900. After about 1 1/2 years, I walked in and the Bargain Cave Manager looked at me and said, "You are the guy that keeps offering $900 for these binoculars aren't you?" I said yes, and he said "they are yours". They are fantastic! I used them frequently on a tripod because they are a bit heavy, and at 10x you can get shakey pretty fast!

My most used pair is a really good pair of Cabelas hunting binoculars (from the barn of course) That were slightly damaged by the eyepiece. I got them for less than 1/2 off and they are super. They are 8 x 42. Unless you are very experienced with binoculars and have a steady hand, I would recommend 8x and the largest objective you can afford. Do NOT get a small objective lens pair! They don't work in anything but bright sun, and it's no fun looking at a tiny bird in tiny binocs!

Cheap binoculars work about as well as a small point-and-shoot camera!

The problem with binoculars, as with so many other things in life, is that if you only ever use middling ones (I am not talking about bottle-glass level ones, I am talking about "good" binoculars) you are fine with them. But if you then get a chance to use premium binocs, you are spoiled forever and it's hard to go back. This actually is part of the overall psychology of rising wealth/rich people, that they get used to first class and then flying economy is "torture," then they get used to flying in private planes and then flying commercial seems like hardship. And with cars, and foods, and so many things. I suppose with cameras and lenses, too.

Back